Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is that it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

even if you look way out in to FI there look's nothing but muck on the way,all for a bit of rain to keep the farmer's happy but all those looking for rain,well look what youve gone an done :pac:
    really is getting depressing now,july and yet again ireland is heading down a wet wet wet route

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Su Campu wrote: »
    See my post of 18:52 on 28/06/10 in the infamous "Ken Ring Predictions" thread where I quoted a previous post of his that has since been deleted, where he said holiday period ending July 9th. I can't link to it here as I'm using my phone.

Yes I see that post of his though it is is slightly confusing and not totally clear. He definitely mentioned 4th July on The Last Word so I am running with that date. I have to say I will be monitoring his forecast for the rest of the summer as I am relatively impressed so far but not impressed with the prospect of a wet July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It's going down hill fast, it's like a mirror image of last July. Those who wished for rain have got what they wished for and by the look of the long range and a lot more to come.:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

owenc wrote: »
    Same here i get bloody migranes everyday everytime i look out at it. You lot are nuts if you want more of that.:( They are being shelfish they need to think about people off on there holidays for summer as we can't do anything because of it and i've been stuck in this house for 10 days constant without going out anywhere, its so boring i want to go somewhere!! (my thick dad canny be bothered.:rolleyes:)

There would be a major BO problem this summer if the rain didn't come.

Time to get out some Gene Kelly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmCpOKtN8ME

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Min wrote: »
    There would be a major BO problem this summer if the rain didn't come.

Time to get out some Gene Kelly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmCpOKtN8ME

The vast majority of people aren't farmers so it won't affect us, i really couldn't care less if the fields turned yellow as they will get green again in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Same here i get bloody migranes everyday everytime i look out at it. You lot are nuts if you want more of that.:( They are being shelfish they need to think about people off on there holidays for summer as we can't do anything because of it and i've been stuck in this house for 10 days constant without going out anywhere, its so boring i want to go somewhere!! (my thick dad canny be bothered.:rolleyes:)

Rain can't give you migraines, if it did, you'd never be able to have a shower without a headache!!!

200motels wrote: »
    It's going down hill fast, it's like a mirror image of last July. Those who wished for rain have got what they wished for and by the look of the long range and a lot more to come.:-(

We haven't had near enough yet, the rivers are still at their lowest levels in years, and soil moisture deficits are way too high at the moment.

The vast majority of people aren't farmers so it won't affect us, i really couldn't care less if the fields turned yellow as they will get green again in the winter.

No, the thousands of farmers in the country will descend into poverty if we have a drought, and the fields wont go green in the winter, they'll go brown with mud, or else brown from the frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 CJWRC94

:confused:You would have somewhere to go? You wouldnt just be on boards every second of everyday anyway?????????????:confused:
    :D

Rain can't give you migraines, if it did, you'd never be able to have a shower without a headache!!!

We haven't had near enough yet, the rivers are still at their lowest levels in years, and soil moisture deficits are way too high at the moment.

No, the thousands of farmers in the country will descend into poverty if we have a drought, and the fields wont go green in the winter, they'll go brown with mud, or else brown from the frost.

Well my granda is a farmer and hes moaning about the rain. No one wants rain and thats it.

CJWRC94 wrote: »
    :confused:You would have somewhere to go? You wouldnt just be on boards every second of everyday anyway?????????????:confused:
    :D

Actually i was in town (and that was the first time i have been out of this **** house!):mad: i can't wait to my mother gets off she will actually take us somewhere!

Actually i was in town (and that was the first time i have been out of this **** house!):mad: i can't wait to my mother gets off she will actually take us somewhere!

LOL!

(what else can ya say to that?)

Actually , has anybody considered that owenc is actually a troll. Sad really! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Actually , has anybody considered that owenc is actually a troll. Sad really! :(

Nah, he is just enthusiastic.

Everyone depends on farmers, the whole world depends on farmers. We have enough economic problems on this island without weather making it worse.
    Well my granda is a farmer and hes moaning about the rain. No one wants rain and thats it.

No one wants rain? From reading these forums there are plenty who are happy for some rain.
    Rain at the moment means less hardship, over on the farming forum, there are some who are feeding some of their winter feed to animals because the lack of rain has virtually stopped grass growth.
    There are places where there is water restrictions, lots of people are happy for some rain, no one wants rain for months on end like last year.
    We had a lot of dry weather, everything in moderation but the dry spell has been overdone, time for change.

It really is the time to be singing in the rain, enjoy it, the dry weather was nice but seeing everything freshening up with the rain is even better.
    The cows like their showers too ;)

I suppose ,

The up and coming Joe Bastardi maybe?

LOL!

Owen is alright, he has no power over the weather so we are safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

I love the rain!
    Thank you God.

LOL!

I mean't out of my area i don't sit in the house all day, i do have a life you know!

LOL!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Lots of people want rain. At least half of this thread are happy to see it. ( not have the posts, half the users. Half the posts are yours so that j=kind of distorts the figures).

You actually do something other than troll the weather forum???

LOL!

Sometimes i'd have to agree . . .

Lots of people want rain. At least half of this thread are happy to see it. ( not have the posts, half the users. Half the posts are yours so that j=kind of distorts the figures).

You actually do something other than troll the weather forum???

Sometimes i'd have to agree . . .

I'm not a troll i don't have purple hair so stop calling me one i'm sick of that! Seriously, what does that mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

to all the people who wanted or for a better word "depend" on rain well your ship came in :) &by looks of things ders lots more to come, on the other hand i personaly dnt depend on it,dnt mind a small bit but nt a whole weekend unless there's thunder involved ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Looks like it. Terrible forecast there by the eagle. He seemed to love it though:p. Our blocking azores and bartlett highs have all regressed and the atlantic is in full swing. We are at its mercy, id say for the next month or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So it would seem Ken Ring was correct.

So it would seem Ken Ring was correct.

In what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

If people are running out of water it's got nothing to do with natural causes - Ireland runs out of water because it has an antiquated water system that looses 60% of the water that passes through it. End of story.

I say it again, I'm in Sardinia at the moment, I've been coming here since '97, and they get a yearly total on average similar to Ireland's east coast, the huge majority of which falls from October to April. So they go 6 months with little or no rain, and yet they have plenty to go around. Farmers irrigate their fields every evening, old women are out on their streets every morning hosing down the road to keep the temperature down, everyone has at least one shower a day, and most importantly, the restaurants always have plenty of water to boil for the pasta, not to mention water for making all that ice cream!! They have 20 something lakes on the island, only one of which is natural, all the others are man-made, catching the winter rainfall for use during these months, delivered through an efficient system that doesnt actually loose 2 litres for every 1 it delivers.

Enough said....

In what way?

i thought you might have reservations;)

He said July would be on the wet side. Given the weather pattern we've had from january-june it wasn't at all certain that this July would turn out to be a wet month like it was in previous years. Grated it's still early in the month but it looks likely to be a wet month overall.

i thought you might have reservations;)

He said July would be on the wet side. Given the weather pattern we've had from january-june it wasn't at all certain that this July would turn out to be a wet month like it was in previous years. Grated it's still early in the month but it looks likely to be a wet month overall.

Fair enough. I'd not write off July just yet though. I don't see anything out of the ordinary with the forecast pattern for the next few days. It is just a wet spell, which can occur at any stage of the year in Ireland (not that anyone needs to be told this :p)

For example, if the last 10 days of the month were dominated by a continental based heatwave, we would quickly forget this current spell of weather ever happened. A rainy few days in summer should not send us into a panic, but it is a panic that is understandable considering what happend over the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

is there anything in the longer term forecasts to give us hope that it will not be like last 3 years. as you say a wet weekend is no harm but weeks and weeks of the same s***e in summer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yes, I've seen in the past that sometimes the continental High can put up more resistance to the Atlantic than the models allow for, so All may not be lost for this month

Su Campu wrote: »
    If people are running out of water it's got nothing to do with natural causes - Ireland runs out of water because it has an antiquated water system that looses 60% of the water that passes through it. End of story.

I say it again, I'm in Sardinia at the moment, I've been coming here since '97, and they get a yearly total on average similar to Ireland's east coast, the huge majority of which falls from October to April. So they go 6 months with little or no rain, and yet they have plenty to go around. Farmers irrigate their fields every evening, old women are out on their streets every morning hosing down the road to keep the temperature down, everyone has at least one shower a day, and most importantly, the restaurants always have plenty of water to boil for the pasta, not to mention water for making all that ice cream!! They have 20 something lakes on the island, only one of which is natural, all the others are man-made, catching the winter rainfall for use during these months, delivered through an efficient system that doesnt actually loose 2 litres for every 1 it delivers.

Enough said....

While our east coast may have the same amount of yearly rainfall as Sardinia, surely it is, on average, more evenly spread throughout the year? Perhaps this could explain why we are not as prepared as Sardina for long dry spells regarding water resources etc, not that I'd know much about how water authorities plan and operate! :o

• Advertisement

it can but that's a rare enough occurrence. Once the Azore high has got into its normal position it's hard to see it shifting in our favour.

Advertisement