Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is that it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Nah....its Oxegen weekend so there will be rain. It's a tradition, dontya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

While our east coast may have the same amount of yearly rainfall as Sardinia, surely it is, on average, more evenly spread throughout the year? Perhaps this could explain why we are not as prepared as Sardina for long dry spells regarding water resources etc, not that I'd know much about how water authorities plan and operate! :o

Precisely, that's my point, we're not prepared. It's not the first time we've had a relative dry spell, and the fact that it came after such a wet autumn, makes it even more remarkable that water shortages still occur. With our water table overflowing last November/December, how can we have nearly run out of water by now? Wastage, that's how, through the system. It's over 100yrs old and needs to be systematically replaced, not all together, but over a number of years. For fecks sake we have Transport 21 don't we, why not Uisce 22 too???!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Su Campu wrote: »
    If people are running out of water it's got nothing to do with natural causes - Ireland runs out of water because it has an antiquated water system that looses 60% of the water that passes through it. End of story.

I say it again, I'm in Sardinia at the moment, I've been coming here since '97, and they get a yearly total on average similar to Ireland's east coast, the huge majority of which falls from October to April. So they go 6 months with little or no rain, and yet they have plenty to go around. Farmers irrigate their fields every evening, old women are out on their streets every morning hosing down the road to keep the temperature down, everyone has at least one shower a day, and most importantly, the restaurants always have plenty of water to boil for the pasta, not to mention water for making all that ice cream!! They have 20 something lakes on the island, only one of which is natural, all the others are man-made, catching the winter rainfall for use during these months, delivered through an efficient system that doesnt actually loose 2 litres for every 1 it delivers.

Enough said....

Just want to point out without meaning to be too smart, that ice cream is usually made from cream or milk . . .:D:D:D:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

If people are running out of water it's got nothing to do with natural causes - Ireland runs out of water because it has an antiquated water system that looses 60% of the water that passes through it. End of story.

Completely agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Precisely, that's my point, we're not prepared. It's not the first time we've had a relative dry spell, and the fact that it came after such a wet autumn, makes it even more remarkable that water shortages still occur. With our water table overflowing last November/December, how can we have nearly run out of water by now? Wastage, that's how, through the system. It's over 100yrs old and needs to be systematically replaced, not all together, but over a number of years. For fecks sake we have Transport 21 don't we, why not Uisce 22 too???!!!

Transport 21, being transport for the 21st century. So only 90 years to wait for uisce 22!!!

• Advertisement

Just want to point out without meaning to be too smart, that ice cream is usually made from cream or milk . . .:D:D:D:pac:

Duh, you're right, I was thinking of sorbetto! :rolleyes:

Transport 21, being transport for the 21st century. So only 90 years to wait for uisce 22!!!

Excuse my ignorance but was Transport 21 not a plan to upgrade the transport system by 2021??!! I've been on holidays too long..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Excuse my ignorance but was Transport 21 not a plan to upgrade the transport system by 2021??!! I've been on holidays too long..... :rolleyes:

Ok, let's answer the burning question.....

Transport 21 is an infrastructural plan which was announced on 1st Nov 2005 by the then Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen. He said at the launch:

"Transport 21 will deliver a 21st century infrastructure for a 21st century Ireland. It has connecting communities and promoting prosperity at its core. It is visionary, detailed, integrated and deliverable. Transport 21 seizes the historic opportunity to complete the transformation of our country."

The time frame for delivery was to be 2006-2015.

Any chance we can get back on topic? I'm off to have a watery ice cream........ ;)

Advertisement