Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tired of whingeing RTE panel

• 06-07-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one tired of the constant negativity of the RTE panel? Disagree completely with their assesment of this World Cup as disappointing, I reckon that they have watched too much football, they are sounding like a bunch of stale, bitter old men.

Tonight's game was entertaining, five goals, all of them top quality, Van Bronkhorst's was one of the best you will ever see, yet all the panel could do was whinge about it, and talk about how the Dutch weren't playing 'attractive' football. Do they want them to do a little song and dance? The team is winning, scoring goals, some of them brilliant, and haven't been beaten for 23 matches.

I also remember after the Uruguay - Ghana match the panel said it was one of the worst of the World Cup, after both teams had killed themselves trying to win the game, scoring two great goals, with massive drama at the end. These guys seem incapable of enjoying the football they are watching, the four quarter finals were some of the best sporting events of this year yet we hardly heard a positive comment from Giles, Dunph et al. Bored with them now, I'm enjoying this world cup and I believe that they have decided that it's all crap and won't be dissuaded by anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Change the channel then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If they'd offered an "everything's rosey" appraisal, you wouldn't have made this post.

They are there to provoke the audience and encourage debate.

They have clearly succeeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dunphy loves to stir it up.........his nit picking about the second dutch goal was silly...it was marginal FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOL fisgon got trolled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I havn't watched one game on RTE this World Cup, I think they use the same script over and over agin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Now that the Brits have gone out, one just doesn't need to clasp them to one's bosom as tightly anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Ive started to watch ITV and BBC instead. Giles doesnt have a clue about anything east of Dover and Dunphy contradicts his opinion on players every few weeks. Its just boring at this stage. The sad thing is some people take what they say as gospel :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This world cup has been disappointing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

stovelid wrote: »
    Now that the Brits have gone out, one just doesn't need to clasp them to one's bosom as tightly anymore.

I got the impression that people were loving the "telling it like it is " when England were in, which kind of surprised me, compared to reading Liverpool/Man utd match CL threads during the season, when people don't seem to big on the "telling like it is"

Find it amusing how Bill is going on about attractive football, does he do the same when Ireland play?

I still love watching them, all about entertainment and the hope that their will be a massive disagreement like the Liam/Dunphy episode for the Arsenal/Liverpool cl match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Do what I do, don't watch them. I like Souness and Brady, but the rest of them just drown out any useful insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

I wouldn't call pointing put that Van Bronkhursts goal should not have been as Uruquay should have had a free kick with Van Bommel being sent off for a possible leg breaking or career ending tackle, whinging.

To be honest, I very often don't watch any punditry but I'm kind of at a loss why our panel is seem as so much more better than British TV.

Even the chance of the our lads saying something inflammatory has got a bit stale now.

I often end up sticking with them because I've massive time for Giles and Dunphy as footballers (and in Dunph's case as a person and journalist./writer) rather than their skills as pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well I think our lads are miles ahead of ITV & BBC. The ITV punditry tonight was woeful. In presentation terms, i cannot understand how the UK channels manage to be so dull. Even Adrian Childes had a dose of it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

stovelid wrote: »
    To be honest, I very often don't watch any punditry but I'm kind of at a loss why our panel is seem as so much more better than British TV.

Even the chance of the our lads saying something inflammatory has got a bit stale now.

I often end up sticking with them because I've massive time for Giles and Dunphy as footballers (and in Dunph's case as a person and journalist./writer) rather than their skills as pundits.

Might wanna reword that last paragraph, it reads like you've massive respect for Eamonn Dunphy as a footballer... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I like it, always gives you something to talk about the next day with your mates, even if the match was balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,817 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've completely avoided RTE in this world cup so far. I've gone for BBC and ITV (whenever BBC were not available) coverage and both have been spot on.

The last time I watched RTE in a football tournament the commentators sounded like they were more interested in the money they gambled on the matches than on the matches themselves. Very unprofessional :rolleyes:

Someone close to E. Dunphy told me he lost a fortune on the Brazil - Holland QF. Not very professional now is it, Dunphy? Stop gambling and / or stop reporting please :rolleyes:

I think they are great entertainment tbh. Even if I watch a match on BBC or ITV for HD I always change to rte for half time and full time analysis.

Where else do people talk for 15 mins after a game without mentioning the game, funny stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

unkel wrote: »
    I've completely avoided RTE in this world cup so far. I've gone for BBC and ITV (whenever BBC were not available) coverage and both have been spot on.

The last time I watched RTE in a football tournament the commentators sounded like they were more interested in the money they gambled on the matches than on the matches themselves. Very unprofessional :rolleyes:

Someone close to E. Dunphy told me he lost a fortune on the Brazil - Holland QF. Not very professional now is it, Dunphy? Stop gambling and / or stop reporting please :rolleyes:

Somebody save the children, a grown man betting his own money :D

Have you ever watched Sky AKA "It matters more when there's money on it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I've given up on RTE a long time ago. ITV or BBC HD for me. Only watch games on the RTE website if I'm in work.

Incidentaly did anyone watching the match on ITV tonight find it strange that they only had one commentator? Poor guy had to talk to himself for 90 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I've given up on RTE a long time ago. ITV or BBC HD for me. Only watch games on the RTE website if I'm in work.

Incidentaly did anyone watching the match on ITV tonight find it strange that they only had one commentator? Poor guy had to talk to himself for 90 mins!

Jim Beglin was due to be alongside Tyldesley, but pulled sick only a matter of hours before kick-off. He will be back for the final I believe. Tyldesley did OK on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

unkel wrote: »

Obviously you'v not got ITV HD then???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Have avoided RTE also, not only because of the lack of HD service but because I actually didn't want to hear their bollocks. "Tell it as it is" and "entertaining" my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Kold wrote: »
    Have avoided RTE also, not only because of the lack of HD service but because I actually didn't want to hear their bollocks. "Tell it as it is" and "entertaining" my arse.

I love that expression :P roll on the champions league coverage imo, lets see how often that is used :)

"Tell it as it is"

= Hanging around in Lilies and Reynards when you;re supposed to be at home researching players and games for work.

Jim Beglin was due to be alongside Tyldesley, but pulled sick only a matter of hours before kick-off. He will be back for the final I believe. Tyldesley did OK on his own.

Yeah he did great. It was actually refreshing not to have the likes of Beglin or Lawrenson (on BBC) spouting rubbish every now and then. Just good old fashioned one-man commentary.

I've noticed a significant reduction in Vuvuzela noise on both ITV and BBC aslo. Must be using some Audio filters. RTE was still as noisy as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Just because there was a bit of controversy, romanticism and a few belters of goals doesn't make it a rather entertaining match.

I'm tired of people whinging about pundits whinging tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Yeah he did great. It was actually refreshing not to have the likes of Beglin or Lawrenson (on BBC) spouting rubbish every now and then. Just good old fashioned one-man commentary.

Agree. Always rated Tyldesley, and it was common to hear him do solo commentaries in the late 80s/early 90s for BBC and ITV, and at a few old World Cups too!

He gets the odd bit of stick in Britain, particularly North of the border, but I can't remember RTE having a commentator on his level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

ITV''s pundits never contradict themselves because everything is the best in the world to them.
    BBC's pundits have the personality of a damp sock.

RTE all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Personally I love the RTE panel. But maybe that's because I'm bored shítless at work.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I ahven't watched RTE live in a few years but from the clips I've seen, while they're fairly entertaining, it must be a bit irritating for the viewer who wants to see incidents discussed impartially to have to put up with the muppetry they often seem to carry on with. I've never been able to sit through BBC's studio coverage of any match - it's just so arse-achingly dull and pointless.

The French TF1 panel, usually dreadful, have finally got something right with their analysis at this tournament, with an even spread of optimistic fawning from the likes of Pires and Dugarry, the scathing no-ѕhit boot-sticking of Lizarazu, Wenger's on-the-money one-liners and Petit not giving a rat's ass.

Has anyone been watching commentary from Spain, Germany or Holland? When I watched Dutch TV they were always fairly severe and slow to praise anyone (I've never once heard Johan Cruyff give any player credit for anything) so I wonder are they getting fully behind Oranje or still picking at all the faults in the current setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

CiaranC wrote: »
    Change the channel then

That's glib and complacent. Where am I going to change to, ITV? Give me a break.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If they'd offered an "everything's rosey" appraisal, you wouldn't have made this post.

All I'm looking for is a bit of balance.
    I don't want them to be just cheerleaders, saying that everything is fantastic and not offering any analysis, but i do think, like other posters here, that they have begun to believe their own hype. They have heard for so long how they 'tell it like it is', that they are so much more honest than the English pundits, and this was true at one time. But now, Giles and Dunphy especially, have confused being honest with constantly dissing what they are watching, they think telling it like it is only involves being unremittingly negative. They have begun to sound like old men who don't actually like football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I liked the way Didi Hamann made no attempt to hide the fact that he hates the Dutch!

Personally I think the Dutch play exactly the way Giles always advocates.
    - When you haven't got the ball defend in numbers.
    - When you have got the ball, pass it well and try to score goals.

Advertisement