Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap forks

• 06-07-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I bought a GT aggressor 2 some months ago (yes, unfortunately from halfords.) and I am pretty happy with the bike except for the cheap suntour xcr crap forks on it. Have already had them replaced when they seized on some light trails. took eight weeks to get the job done in halfords but thats a differernt thread.

Anyway, wondering if it's worth my while buying a set of rockshox tora 302 solo air. I would love to buy something better but haven't got the money. Heard they can leak oil but surely they would be better than what I have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

rockape wrote: »
    I bought a GT aggressor 2 some months ago (yes, unfortunately from halfords.) and I am pretty happy with the bike except for the cheap suntour xcr crap forks on it. Have already had them replaced when they seized on some light trails. took eight weeks to get the job done in halfords but thats a differernt thread.

Anyway, wondering if it's worth my while buying a set of rockshox tora 302 solo air. I would love to buy something better but haven't got the money. Heard they can leak oil but surely they would be better than what I have?

I'd try get your hands on a secondhand Marzocchi fork from pre 2007. Tora's are OK but the 302 is the basic model and in fairness not much more of a upgrade over the suntour forks.
    Cheap is Cheap and they break, you seem to be quite hard on forks too so save up and buy decent set , unfortunatly decent forks come in the price range of your entire bike :(
    You should get a second hand set cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rockape

Thanks for the advice. Where would i look for a second hand set? Is it not a bit of a risk not knowing what abuse the forks might have taken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

rockape wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Where would i look for a second hand set? Is it not a bit of a risk not knowing what abuse the forks might have taken?

Once there is no play in the bushings or leaking oil or obvious lumps taken out of the legs then usually you are okay. It depends on if ya know what your looking at. You could pay abit extra and get new forks.
    Look for a air sprung fork too, ones that use springs are a waste of time IMO. Much easier to set up the air sprung forks.

Advertisement