Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon D5000

Options
  • 06-07-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Can anyone recommend where to buy the Nikon D5000 plus 18 - 55 standard lens. Im checking for a family friend who has a small baby so the video aspect is really good. The prices I have found so far are from €699 - €819.99 Could the cheapest one be different somehow?

I really need some help with this please :confused:

Regards

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Registered Users Posts: 17 davecp

Many thanks for your help, I think Argos wins for convience.

Regards

Dave:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Only about €7 in the difference between Argos and Amazon once you convert to euro anyway. Handier take back if there's any problem.

It's the next camera I'll probably buy, really want a D90 but it's next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

As mentioned, the Argos deal is one of the best, considering both exchange rate, and convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

mrmac wrote: »
    As mentioned, the Argos deal is one of the best, considering both exchange rate, and convenience.

If you allow for the different VAT rate, the Argos price is cheaper than
    Amazon. The UK VAT increase to 20% at the end of this year will
    make price comparisons easier for us and fairer for Irish sellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

ThirdMan wrote: »
    €569.95 with free delivery.

simplyelectronics.net/.......

Products from simplyelectronics ship from Hong Kong, and do not include VAT or Duty. If you want to save yourself €6.00, you can roll the dice, and take a chance that it wont get stopped by customs, but if you do get stopped, you'll end up paying a lot more than the Argos price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Products from simplyelectronics ship from Hong Kong, and do not include VAT or Duty. If you want to save yourself €6.00, you can roll the dice, and take a chance that it wont get stopped by customs, but if you do get stopped, you'll end up paying a lot more than the Argos price.

My apologies... I wasn't aware of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

Just a note, its an amazing camera but I wouldn't buy it for it's video function. It doesn't auto focus (when in video mode) so most people never use it.

Better to buy a dedicated camera and a dedicated video camera.

Also - The Argos version has a non VR lens (vibration reduction) which means that although the Amazon camera is nearly the same price, that's only because Argos sells a cheaper version without putting it in their description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

The Amazon deal is down to £464.98 now...including the 18-55 VR lens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dr.TV

mrmac, I purchased a HD video camera from Simply Electronics, it came from Hong Kong as well, but there was no Duty / VAT changed. I was worried about this also and asked simply electronics, but they did confirm that I would not be changed Duty / VAT..

Pixmania have good options listed for this camera: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2739704/art/nikon/d5000-af-s-dx-vr-18-55mm.html

I am also thinking about getting this camera, maybe with the 18-105 lens, so I have better zoom. That price on Simply electronics is the best that i have seen, next up is pixmania!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

I am also interested in this camera. Will keep an eye out on any better prices, but Pixmania seem to be the best at the moment, taking accessories into account.

Anyone bought from them and share experience. Are they good in event of damage and returns etc...

Dr.TV wrote: »
    mrmac, I purchased a HD video camera from Simply Electronics, it came from Hong Kong as well, but there was no Duty / VAT changed.

Lucky you. :)
    Dr.TV wrote: »
    I was worried about this also and asked simply electronics, but they did confirm that I would not be changed Duty / VAT..

It is completely mis-leading of them to say that, but then, they want your money.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

damoz wrote: »
    I am also interested in this camera. Will keep an eye out on any better prices, but Pixmania seem to be the best at the moment, taking accessories into account.

Anyone bought from them and share experience. Are they good in event of damage and returns etc...

I'm also quite interested in this camera too. I was looking at the argos v pixmania too, But if you buy the kit with the 55-200mms & 16gb usb key on the pixmania v argos + 55-200mm lens seperate, the price basicly comes the same but you're getting the usb thing free(not inclusing the postage)

Might go look at this camera in action at a shop before i purchase(prob go to argos)
    I'm only starting out on the DSLR, so the 55-200mm lens is only 2.6 optical zoom is it? have a tz 7 I do and the 12x opcital zoom is good, what sort of lens mm would i be looking at for 8-12x zoom?

It doesn't really work that way. That 12 x depends on how wide to long it's range is. My old fuji was 12 x too, but 6mm - 70mm. The tz7 lens is the equivalent of 25mm-300mm on a 35mm body - which is a great range. But if it's zoom you mainly require the 55-200mm lens is equal to 82.5mm-300mm on a full frame - you're only losing the wider end, it has the same reach as your 12 x compact.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ah thats great for clearing up thecageone, the dslr is defently a different ball game all together.. the tz7 is a great little camera to be honest & zoom, but the only thing that I think it fails on is close range photos such as taking ones of flys, spiders etc. it just cannot get the focus right on them & when I set it to AF-macro zoom the quality looks ****.
    Really thinking of going for the d5000 & the 55-200 lens. the budget I'd like to stick to is about 1k max. getting those two would come to about 850ish. so I'd had about 150 extra, would you think I should up the camera model, or go for a better lens?
    *edit just to clear things up, are the d50 & d5000 the same camera?
    and does anyone know for definate that the one in argos is just the standard lens & does not ahve VR

Argos never give the VR version, they claim to be cheaper but don't bother to tell you that.

The D50 is a very different camera, i think it came out in 2005? If you were going the older route I'd suggest a D60 - which has since been replaced by the D3000 - the D5000 is a step up again really.

D5000 is a little beast, it' like a stripped down D90. It's pretty much a modernised D80.

Yup, those numbers get confusing, as none of them ever seem to get them in sequence right. I have a D200, which is better than a D40/50/60/70/80 but the D90 overpowers it - in some ways - The D200 is better built and faster AFAIK.

Canon are no better, their 1000D is a lesser [complex] camera than the 400/450/500/550D - then they have their 'semi=pro' range too, smaller numbers ... 30/40/50D - then their higher end models like the 5D - which is often pitted against Nikon's D200 ... but now have a 5D mk II - one of the most popular dslrs on the market ... but there's a 1D and 1D mk II .... seriously ... I think they do be taking the piss half the time with their numbers :D

If 1k is your budget, and you like the look of the D5000 - then get it WITHOUT the 55-200 ... Buy it with the 18-55 VR kit lens, and spend the rest on a better zoom. Shop around.

But I know if I had €1k it'd be going on a D90 with the 18-105mm VR lens.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D90-Digital-18-105-VR/dp/B001EO6WAI

And spend the rest on a 50mm f/1.8 prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The easiest way to figure out the ranges is as follows (afaik)

Dxx (D40, D50, D60, D80, D90 etc)
    -These are the entry level camera's, and are a couple of years old, and are in the process of being replaced by the Dxxxx -the higher number is better (D90 is the top level 'Enthusiast' camera, and is the only current one not due to be replaced with a Dxxxx -It'll most likely be replaced by the D95 in a couple of months)

Dxxxx (D3000, D5000)
    -These are the entry level cameras, higher number the better

Dxxx (D200, D300, D700)
    -These are the lower priced 'Pro' models, the D300 replaced the D200

-If I had a grand, I'd wait for the D90 to be replaced (will most likely be announced the middle of Sept), and either get the replacement, or you should be able to get a good deal on a D90 then as retailers try to remove old stock
    Dx (D3)
    -Top of the range Pro Bodies

It gets confusing due to the Trickle down of features and speed of development, so while the D200 is a great camera, it's a couple of years old, so is fairly close in performance to the D90 etc etc.

The current range, in order of price (from lowest to highest) is:

D3000, D5000, D60, D90, D300, D300s, D700, D3, D3s, D3x

You'd get a D60 cheaper than a D5000 now though surely?

As with all electrics, newer doesn't always mean better. A lot of people would rather opt for a D60 say, than a D3000. The D5000 is pretty much a re-vamped D80 with a few gadgets like a swivel LCD, live view and HD video on top - none of which improve IQ or help take better pictures in general really.

I don't miss live view at all, and if you can live without it your options are much broader.

The D200 has more going for it than a lot of the current entry level Nikons, the fact it will AF a lot of older Nikon lenses and mount just about every Nikon lens made since the 70's is a huge plus. It's also weather sealed which suits a mucky pup like me :) I really don't know why they couldn't weather seal the D90? ... which is the lowest level Nikon I'd trade the D200 for.

• Advertisement

As with all electrics, newer doesn't always mean better. A lot of people would rather opt for a D60 say, than a D3000. The D5000 is pretty much a re-vamped D80 with a few gadgets like a swivel LCD, live view and HD video on top - none of which improve IQ or help take better pictures in general really.

Which is why I currently shoot with a D50! I prefer it to the D40, or the Dxxxx series
    I really don't know why they couldn't weather seal the D90? ... which is the lowest level Nikon I'd trade the D200 for.

Probably because they only weather seal the pro bodies (D300 and up)

They have to have some way to differentiate!

True that. I'm still semi-tempted to sell the D200 at some point to go for a D90, but like you say - an upgrade is on the way. So it would be wiser to wait for that, and either splash out on it or that will be the time to get a D90 much cheaper. Already if you look around used sites the prices are dropping on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The D200 has more going for it than a lot of the current entry level Nikons, the fact it will AF a lot of older Nikon lenses and mount just about every Nikon lens made since the 70's is a huge plus.

All nikon digital bodies can -mount- any AI or better nikkor, the problem is that most won't meter with them. In fact the D40 can actually mount a bigger range of lenses than the D200, as it can mount pre-AI lenses that would damage the mount of the D200 and most other digital bodies.

True that. I'm still semi-tempted to sell the D200 at some point to go for a D90, but like you say - an upgrade is on the way. So it would be wiser to wait for that, and either splash out on it or that will be the time to get a D90 much cheaper. Already if you look around used sites the prices are dropping on them.

Yeah, I'm currently very much torn though... do I get a D90 cheap and a nice Med Format, do I get the Replacement (presuming it's got better ISO performance), or do I stretch myself and try to get a second hand D300 and say 'no' to the medium format temptation... there's too many choices!

All nikon digital bodies can -mount- any AI or better nikkor, the problem is that most won't meter with them. In fact the D40 can actually mount a bigger range of lenses than the D200, as it can mount pre-AI lenses that would damage the mount of the D200 and most other digital bodies.

AH right, thanks for that. I just remember reading that the D200 could mount all lenses post-Ai and will auto-focus them where the likes of the D60/70/80/3000/5000 won't.

I bought a Tamron zoom from a D3000 owner, which was practically new - He was selling because it wouldn't AF on his D3000, works a treat, apart from being a bit slow, on my D200.

Yeah, I'm currently very much torn though... do I get a D90 cheap and a nice Med Format, do I get the Replacement (presuming it's got better ISO performance), or do I stretch myself and try to get a second hand D300 and say 'no' to the medium format temptation... there's too many choices!

ISO performance is the only real issue I have with the D200. I really hate to push it beyond ISO 640, and that's when all else fails.

Just ordered this camera from simplyelectronics.net. They indicated that they are sending this from the Reading, UK. Hopefully should have this by next week. I purchased the d5000 body only and the 18-105 lens separately, it worked about about 100 euro less than what pixmania were offering. Now i need a tripod and case. Happy snapping people. Thanks for all the advise! :D

Tinyexplosions & thecageone thank you very much for your informative posts. I
    Will do some more reading up over the weekend.
    Dr. Tv how much did it cost you all in?
    Let us know how long it took an if you had to pay any duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gavin1980

Lucky you. :)

It is completely mis-leading of them to say that, but then, they want your money.

I bought my D5000 from simplyelectronics it arrived within a week via DHL no stamp or custom duty on it, Only thing is you don't get your warranty card, so if anything goes wrong you have to send it back to them, Pixmania aren't too far off on the price.

Lenny, I purchased the D5000 body and a 18-105 lens and it came to €671.72. I think they screwed up on the exchange rate and I also used a €10 voucher that I searched the net for. I went through Google checkout and I think thats where the problem lay with the exchange rate.
    Saved about €110 going through SimplyElectronics rather than pixmania.

It just arrived with DHL this morning and was sent from just outside London. It left SImplyElecreonics yesterday and arrived in Dublin today.

It has a Nikon cert inside saying that it was sent from Nikon UK. So I have been able to register this on the Nikon website and get a 2 year warranty.

There was a back log of orders and it took almost 2 weeks for me to receive this camera, but am so happy that it arrived today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

does this D5000 come with a thick nikon strap included in the box?

thanks in advance

Advertisement