Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's up to you (to do) New York, New York

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

start of new thread -
    was meant to do 7m with 10 x 100m strides
    did 5m in driving rain.

lessons learned
    know what the focus of the session was - I didn't
    don't leave it so late to run as you'll be tired and a bit low on energy
    don't wait for the rain to stop - it won't
    figure out where your heart rate should be
    have the discipline to not mull over those missing strides and few miles, focus on the next session

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

It was fairly grim yesterday alright. I think it was the first time I got a real head to toe soaking this year. Don't know how I avoided it so far. But, we've been really spoiled by the weather, last few months.

Good luck with the New York training!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What's the target Hardy Eustace? Best of luck wit the training. P&D 18 week?
    Four months today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks guys.

YUP, KC, P&D 18 weeks. My goal is to go sub 4. Big leap as my previous pb was 4:30 but nothing like a challenge to make you feel alive! :D

Going on the wagon for the 18weeks (apart from Electric Picnic and another outing to see pals abroad) so looking forward to it. Well, kind of, well, we'll see, <whimper>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi HardyEustace,

Best of luck with the log and the race.

I wouldn't worry about getting every session done to the letter - if you get out every day you've planned to and do the best you can on the day, you'll make great progress over a couple of months.

thanks Aero :)

Right tonight - plan was 9m.
    Did 9m! <yeah>

Didn't have a good start though, it's the wettest week of the summer to start. Didn't leave work till late, had a mars bar for dinner from the vending machine and only started run after eight o'clock. I had to literally strong arm myself from the car. It took a lot not to just whimper home and say tomorrow. I kind of had a few inner mental tussles before finally inner mentally yelling "OK HARDY EUSTACE THIS MARATHON IS NOT GOING TO F**KING RUN ITSELF, NOW GET OUT THERE AND DO YOUR MILES".

I used my ipod to get me round the 9 miles. At times, it was lovely, like when the rain softened and I was lashing along the prom listening to some nice tunes. Other times, like when I discovered the way home along the prom was against the wind was vile.

It was a slow plod 10 min/miles <blush> but I'm glad I finished the miles and will be more focused on time next week.

lessons learned
    pack your running bag the night before (did that)
    run from work so you can vary running routes and taking nice bits of Galway (did that)
    don't have a mars bar for dinner, you'll vomit in your mouth at least twice on the run <bleugh>
    figure out a good water carrying system
    focus on few small positive changes, for me this week it will be drinking more water, next week it will be ceasing my daily post-lunch moro habit.
    focus on losing weight, I'm now a stone and a half heavier than I was when I ran my first marathon. I'm really making things difficult for myself with the extra weight.
    enjoy the run (kind of did that) and recapture that excitement from when you first started out (I remembered the first time I ran 8 miles and how thrilled I was and thinking to myself OMG, OMG, OMG, I'm only 5 miles from a half marathon)
    Don't think about all the miles you have to run - focus on this run only
    Figure out your max heart rate (insert rolly eyes at myself that I haven't done this yet)
    find a class for core work
    do some post running work - I rolled around the floor of the sitting room on a foam roller - It was SORE AND HARD WORK

I'm going to try and do my long run on Sunday on grass as bits were twinging today.

Oh and the one big disadvantage of running so late is that you're still wide awake at this time. hence the post <sigh>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

next week it will be ceasing my daily post-lunch moro habit.
    focus on losing weight, I'm now a stone and a half heavier than I was when I ran my first marathon. I'm really making things difficult for myself with the extra weight.
    Hi Hardy,

I think it was you that recommended Anita Bean's "Ultimate guide to Sports Nutrition" - I recently acquired it and her 2Food for Fitness" book. There are lots of recipes for healthy snacks, which might help you with the Moro habit (I love the odd Moro too!) I'm a demon for bickies, bars and chocolate, but since making up some muffins and muesli bars, I haven't bought or eaten any of that sort of stuff. I think the sweet things mess with your blood sugar and make you feel hungry - I found I'm much less hungry when I snack on the healthy stuff.

Don't worry too much about the weight, it will drop when training intensity goes up.

Hmmm, a very unsuccessful weekend - running wise

On SAturday I was meant to do four miles and was looking forward to it. However, I kind of mooched around the house all day - did house work and errands and then all of a sudden it was five o'clock. It was lashing rain outside and I was wrecked and was going to be up early so I figured that there wasn't much point, gonig out and running four miles when I had my long run the next day.

Lesson - do your little warm up run early on SAturday morning to 1. get it out of the way 2. allow some time before the big run on Sunday morning

On Sunday, I was meant to do 12 miles. I met a pal of mine for the first six. I was absolutely wrecked and could barely manage a ten minute mile. I was just so, so tired despite all the my cleaning living/early to bed lifestyle. I was chatting to my pal who's a very experienced long distance athlete and she advised not beating myself the first week and to ease into it for the first few weeks. I finished the six miles but the sodding garmin turned off on the run but I was running for about an hour and ten minutes.

I fully planned on going back to run/cycle that evening to "make up" time but am in the middle of gardening. Started putting up my shed at 12:30, finally finished at 8:30, by which time I was practically weeping with tiredness.

Good thing - I didn't have chinese but instead ate fish for dinner which was lovely.
    Bad thing - didn't do the 12 miles and am still so wrecked today but couldn't get to sleep last night - still wide awake at 3 o'clock which was frustrating.

I will definitely have to get the garden over the next few weeks. There's still a lot to do - foundations to be dug for a 2 foot high retaining wall and lots of buckets of stony soil to be moved about the place.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed about hte whole thing.

Oh and I lost two pounds so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Hmmm, a very unsuccessful weekend - running wise ....

Feeling a bit overwhelmed about hte whole thing.

Oh and I lost two pounds so far :D

Think we all have weeks like this. Rather than try to make it I'd suggest, just take it as a bad week close it out and move on. New week ... new start .. new mile(s) ...

( not that this is what I actually do)

well, feeling a little more upbeat this week. While the speed hasn't increased, even after a week, I can see an improvement in the first five miles or so that I'm running. After that it's a slog but it's nice to have a good start :D

Last night, schedule was 8 Mi w/10x100m. Got held up in work again and it was one of those leave work at 8 o'clock having had a moro from the vending machine nights. However, was DETERMINED to do the run so basically got home, whimpered slightly at the rain, threw on the running clothes and got out the door before I'd time to procrastinate.

I didn't do the 10x100m <hangs head in shame>, this is something I'll have to make a priority in the future as I know it's important.

Did 7.5 miles @10 min/mile pace. I've exercise induced asthma and it's kicked up a notch right now, I suspect it might be something to do with the pollen or the weather. I'm not using my inhaler (mainly because I forget it) and am starting to study the buteyko method which I'm hoping should help.

One the plus side, I really, really enjoy the run.
    Good things - really enjoyed the run, it's becoming "normal" already.
    Bad things - have to organise myself more so I'm not eating chocolate from the vending machine for dinner

Going to get a sports massage at some stage over the next week or so as things are starting to twinge. ITB has been a big problem for me.

Defintiely, definitely going to swim tonight rather than procrastinate.

And currently trying to figure out how to juggle the schedule around a trip abroad to see friends and a concert on SAturday. But that's not a bad thing!

Sounds like you had a tough week last week, but if you think of the shed building as cross training, then you got an additional training session in last week. :)

Bagels. They cure all of life's problems. Before leaving for work (on evening running days), cut one open, spread on some jam or nutella, throw it in the bag with some fruit and eat it an hour or two before heading off for your run. Good slow release carbs (along with some bad carbs in the form of jam/nutella) will see you sorted through those 8-10 milers after work.

• Advertisement

Target : 10m
    Actual : 4.7m

Ok, well reason for smaller mileage is because I am moving my long run to Saturday morning rather than Sunday. Did a sea swim before hand so was absolutely WRECKED before I started run. However, the swim DEFINITELY helped the sore legs and my knees are feeling my better though still a little tender.

Noticing that my times are getting faster. Ok it's only just that I'm going sub 10min/mile (by about three seconds) but it's a start! LOL

Weight hasn't budged this week but it's time to start a food diary and taking responsibility for how much I really do eat <sigh>.

Going abroad to visit pals but taking my running shoes. Having one of my two no alcohol breaks looking forward to nice drinks and good food but almost sad that I'll be leaving my healthy lifestyle behind. I'm sleeping and feeling so much better at the moment, well apart from the tiredness, due to the exercise and cleaner living.

13 miles will be done on grass on laps around the football pitches, hopefully my brain won't start to bleed out through my ears with the boredom.

Was dreading posting this. It's an admission of guilt and laziness.

17-Jul Target: 5mi
    18-Jul Target: 13mi Actual:4mi

Was travelling to Dublin and for one of my two "breaks" from the clean living. Set out on Saturday morning to do the 13mi instead of Sunday. Took ages to get up and started off the run. Didn't feel great but figured it just took a while to warm up. Slogged on for about 2.5mi and then started hacking my lungs up and felt moudly. Walked back, tried jogging on the way but to no avail. Felt horrible and terribly demoralised.

20-Jul Target:8mi Actual:0mi
    Had travelled to visit friends I hadn't seen in almost three years. Brought my running shoes with me. Remembered that I was meant to run 8miles just as I was happily draining my second glass of champagne, whoops <blush>
    21-Jul Target:4mi Actual:0mi
    Travelling home that day.Was only fit for couch and bed when I arrived.
    22-Jul Target:10mi Actual:0mi
    24-Jul Target:4mi Actual:0mi
    25-Jul Target:14mi Actual:0mi - pretty pissed off at myself for not doing my long run -stupid as well as lazy <sigh>
    27-Jul Target:8mi Actual:8mi - back on track.

Knackered after the 8miles

Lessons learned: long term - build in at least a week's obsolescence into the plan for weeks like this if you're going away. It's really hard to go back to clean living once you've tasted a little bit of the high life.

Positives - move forward, stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Don't worry about it. If the lungs aren't feeling up to it, then there's no point in killing yourself. You'll be back on track quick enough.

Do you do all your runs as laps on grass? I just couldn't do that. Sometimes, I run a one mile circuit on grass, and even doing that three times is hard to get enthusiastic about. I prefer to do long runs as one big circuit if possible.

plodder wrote: »
    Don't worry about it. If the lungs aren't feeling up to it, then there's no point in killing yourself. You'll be back on track quick enough.

Do you do all your runs as laps on grass? I just couldn't do that. Sometimes, I run a one mile circuit on grass, and even doing that three times is hard to get enthusiastic about. I prefer to do long runs as one big circuit if possible.

No at the moment road running.

And like you, much prefer one big circuit! Less likely to cut back otherwise.

I've started close your mouth, the Buteyko breathing book. It looks very good but dedication is needed as you've to undertake the exercises faithfully every night.

The asthma is back with a vengence and I'm really struggling with it. It's very demotivating and frustrating. I hope the Buteyko works.

28 Jul: Target 4mi, Done 4mi. It was an awful slog though. Luckily a pal came out running with me as I wheezed my way around.

Bloody dreading the 10 miles tonight <sighs and packs away self-pity>

Bloody dreading the 10 miles tonight <sighs and packs away self-pity>
    There's only one way to tackle 10 miles. Head on. No doubts, just go out and do it. If you go out full of dread and self-doubt, you'll be back home after 4 or 5 miles.

If you have a Garmin, create a simple distance based workout. Set it to 10 miles, and watch the miles tick off. I find this really helps on longer runs when the head's not in the right place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

This might sound silly but I break the run up mentally into 2x5 miles... or whatever fits your route. I have another 10 mile route that is 4 miles to get me to my 6 mile loop. Somehow it just makes it seem less daunting.

There's only one way to tackle 10 miles. Head on. No doubts, just go out and do it. If you go out full of dread and self-doubt, you'll be back home after 4 or 5 miles.

If you have a Garmin, create a simple distance based workout. Set it to 10 miles, and watch the miles tick off. I find this really helps on longer runs when the head's not in the right place.

Should I use the training centre as you outline here
    or the garmin connect goals program?
    littlebug wrote: »
    This might sound silly but I break the run up mentally into 2x5 miles... or whatever fits your route. I have another 10 mile route that is 4 miles to get me to my 6 mile loop. Somehow it just makes it seem less daunting.
    I used to do that and it worked really well, where I used it as a 4mile warm up and 6 mile run which helped but it doesn't seem to work as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

littlebug wrote: »

I used to do that and it worked really well, where I used it as a 4mile warm up and 6 mile run which helped but it doesn't seem to work as much.

I'm with littlebug on this. I struggle with the mental side of long runs. Breaking the run up and focusing only on the part you are currently running helps. If this stops working - shorten the sections you think about - I usually use 5 miles but if I have dropped to thinking aobut 3 mile sections.

I have this strange mental cue - whenever I start to think about distance, or disconfort or indeed any reoccuring negative thought, I use this as a reminder to start checking my breathing, relaxing shoulders, straightening up, relaxing the legs, etc - a complete head-to-toe inventory !

29 Jul : Target 10miles Done 10miles

Big thank you to everyone for the posts and support. It did help get me out the door. The run was lovely in places and hell in others. I was mentally thanking everyone at 4 and 6 miles and then condemning everyone to hell for mile 7 and 9.

Did feel a bit nauseous for parts of the run but over came that. Didn't make it out the door till after eight (rolly eyes at myself) so was late getting home. Rolled around on a foam roller after a small sob when I discovered that all my pitta breads were gone.

Perfect. Now just repeat that for the next 99 days (and buy some more pita breads). :)

• Advertisement

31 Jul: Target 4 miles, Actual 0 miles
    01 Aug: Target 14 miles, Actual 0 miles

<hangs head in shame>

lessons learnt - there is no such thing as one drink at the Galway races, drinking and running don't mix

And yes, missing the long run, the one you DON'T miss is stupid, stupid, stupid.

03 Aug: Target 8 miles, Actual 7.85 miles
    04 Aug: Target 5 miles, Actual 5 miles

Run yesterday went well, in that my average pace moved from 10min/miles to 9.5 min/miles so that's pretty good. Also looking at mcmillam calculator, my training pace is actually ok for a 4 hr marathon so rather cheered up from that.

Advertisement