Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can I buy vintage amps in Dublin?

• 07-07-2010 12:10am
    Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭

Don't get all worked up. ;)

Any suggestions for getting my hands on a decent Vox for about a grand, give or take...

Cheaper would be better (800 would be killer!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Jimis Music Store in Ballymount industrial estate has quite a nice selection of vintage stuff.I don't think your budget will get you far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

+1 For Jimi's

Man for the job alright !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I like to have a flick through Jimi's website now and then... A guy can dream, can't he? :(

http://www.jimismusicstore.ie/Catalogue.aspx?TabID=1005

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Thanks for that! Some cool stuff!

Anyone know where I could get a Selmer Zodiac Twin?

Those Selmers come up quite regularly on Ebay UK.It's very hard to get people over there who aren't power sellers to ship stuff like that out of the UK though...

I had a 1963 Selmer Zodiac around two years ago which i sold here on Adverts.It needed loads of work though.

• Advertisement

Glassheart wrote: »
    Those Selmers come up quite regularly on Ebay UK.It's very hard to get people over there who aren't power sellers to ship stuff like that out of the UK though...

I had a 1963 Selmer Zodiac around two years ago which i sold here on Adverts.It needed loads of work though.

How funny, I saw your post re: gear bought/sold in 2008 from Google. ;)

I've only really got a grand to blow and need either a zodiac twin or an ac30, but the ac30 I can get for that amount aint that great... :(

A SZT though for that money would prolly kill!

What'd you sell yours for, do ye remember?

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    How funny, I saw your post re: gear bought/sold in 2008 from Google. ;)

I've only really got a grand to blow and need either a zodiac twin or an ac30, but the ac30 I can get for that amount aint that great... :(

A SZT though for that money would prolly kill!

What'd you sell yours for, do ye remember?

I just went back and found that post.I've sold almost all of that stuff on.:pac:
    I kind of know you from the Music Production forum.If you are looking for something for gigging as well as recording then i really don't recommend a vintage AC30.They are famously unreliable.In fact so are the modern ones in my experience... Plus they are a little out of your budget.

Is vintage a must?

I sold my Selmer for around €350 which was what i spent on it.It needed a major job done on it.

I actually used an AC30 in Windmill Lane, rented one (and a Mesa half stack) and the AC30 broke down.

This is kinda why I'm looking for a Selmer Zodiac or even Thunderbird. I know I may have to invest a bit, but if I could get one sub 500 and then pay a genius to refurb... well...

zod1.jpeg

I'm also open to suggestions in that price range!

Any ideas?

I see a few Fender twins floating around, there's one for 1250 on Jimis...

I used to own one in the States, back in the day... bought for like 400... from the early 70s... great sound, but kinda unreliable.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
    I just went back and found that post.I've sold almost all of that stuff on.:pac:
    I kind of know you from the Music Production forum.If you are looking for something for gigging as well as recording then i really don't recommend a vintage AC30.They are famously unreliable.In fact so are the modern ones in my experience... Plus they are a little out of your budget.

Is vintage a must?

I sold my Selmer for around €350 which was what i spent on it.It needed a major job done on it.

On Adverts right now there is a 70's Twin Reverb for €900.
    If you are open to modern gear there is also an Orange AD30 head with matching 2x12 cab for €1000.Those prices should be negotiable too!

On Adverts right now there is a 70's Twin Reverb for €900.
    If you are open to modern gear there is also an Orange AD30 head with matching 2x12 cab for €1000.Those prices should be negotiable too!

Is that AD30 really all that? I mean relative to vintage Orange.

I'm scared of the twin breaking down.

I'd like to find a Selmer .. May have to get our producer (who lives in London) to help.

Shame they're so rare over here. They're pretty sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Blackstar Artisan 15. Voxish sound, 15 watts and reliable

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Blackstar Artisan 15. Voxish sound, 15 watts and reliable

Not sure 15 wats will cut it for me.

Although I will google that immediately. :)

Thanks!

So I bought an amp.

An Orange AD30 HTC

Now all I need is a cab.

Thinking Vintage Celestions 2X12

May just save up for the matching Orange 4x12...

The hard part is now over... whew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Keep an eye on ebay uk.

If you win an auction, go here:

http://www.interparcel.com/

You can arrange for a courier to collect the item from the seller (so the seller has nothing to do but package it well and print out an address label).
    The site will give you a selection of couriers and prices to choose from and depending on the urgency it will generally cost about €30-40 to have something the size and weight of a Fender Twin Reverb shipped anywhere in Ireland.

If you are in any doubt about whether the seller will allow you to bid, contact him by email first and inform him that you will have the item collected by courier. Most sellers are amenable...especially if it means that more people are bidding for their item.

Advertisement