Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YESSSSS WE CAME THIRD?

• 07-07-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

third/fourth place, playoff in the WC, I realise they want to give a third place medal but this is the ultimate in sadism, let them go home ffs, who actually wants to play this game?

Does anybody actually give a fk who wins this match?

Do the players?

Would they rather head home for their holidays before they have to be back for preseason trainibg?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Normally im not arsed but if Germany lose tomorrow then Klose will still have the chance to break the goalscoring record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Do the players?

I'd imagine they'd rather a third place finish/medal yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I do because I still want Forlan to have chance to be top scorer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

So Gold and Silver medals at all events including the Olympics anymore then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Arevalo Pereria said he wants to win this game, so there's your answer!

I wouldn't go hell for bent on winning the game, and if there were some decent players in my squad who tasted little or no action I'd have played them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gotta agree with the op. Personally from a competitive standpoint I would be gutted after losing a semi-final and not at all interested in playing for third place.

If you can't win the whole thing whats the point? Its not like in League football where you have targets like the Champion's League/Europa League/avoid relegation even when you are out of the running for the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

For the chance to get a 3rd place medal? For the chance to represent your country perhaps one last time at a world cup. Go go out on a high(well...as much can be after loseing semi) For the fans to see another game. To try claim top goalscorer. Also, yes..for maybe some squad players to be given a game.

I think ud be mad not to want to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Third/Fourth place play off is the highlight of the tournament for me - Aprés match boys get the show to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Arevalo Pereria said he wants to win this game, so there's your answer!

Well he has to say that publicly anyway. I doubt many players would care too much about this game. It's probably the most pointless* fixture on the whole soccer calendar, a glorified friendly really.

*EDIT - make that second most pointless after that super cup thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Third/Fourth place play off is the highlight of the tournament for me - Aprés match boys get the show to themselves.

Really? Deadly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What a stupid comparison. You are not comparing like with like ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

amacachi wrote: »
    Really? Deadly!
    Yup.
    Here's some of 2002's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

This isn't the olympics.:confused:

The players and the managers will of course all make the right noises,and others have pointed out that squad players may get a run out but this only serves to enhance the point that it's absolutely pointless,and a glorified friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I'd imagine Uruguay will be massively up for the game. They will be playing either Germany or Spain and to beat either of them and claim 3rd would be huge.

Plus, doesn't their FA get an extra 2m or so for winning?

As well as that, any 3rd place playoff that i've seen, the players seem very happy to have won! I guess any World Cup medal is an achievement in one's career.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Usually one team wants to win it and the other can't be arsed (Sweden-Bulgaria comes to mind). More often then not there is a golden-boot candidate taking it very seriously and given that losign is realyl no big deal it lends itself to a fairly free-flowing encouter. S. Korea-Turkey in 2002 was a great game (remember Sukur scoring after 11 seconds!). Schweinsteiger showed what he was capable of in 2006 with a cracking performance against the Portuguese.

One this is absolutely sure - if Germany lose they semi tonight, they will win the 3rd place match. I couldn't imagine Spain caring enough to beat Uruguay on the other hand, even if Villa might be looking to seal the GB for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Apart from affecting the Golden Boot betting I usually have little or no interest in this match tbh. Should've been abolished years ago? Does anyone seriously remember off the top of their heads who came third at any of the last few World Cups, or even care?

I do, but I maye be a freak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

flahavaj wrote: »
    Does anyone seriously remember off the top of their heads who came third at any of the last few World Cups, or even care?

Yep, I could name 3rd and 4th place finishers back as far 1982, but I am a freak I guess.

I quite like it as a game and its led to some entertaining enough encounters.
    If some first eleven players are too gutted etc to play then it allows the rest of the squad to get some game time.

As far as I know both losing semifinalists are then invited to the final the next day, which is a nice touch as well.

I think its a fairly harmless game, if you don't like the idea then don't watch it. And if enough of the participants felt as negatively about the game as people seem to think they do, then it probably would have been stopped years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

third is better than where I came in the WC.

I didnt even place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yep, I could name 3rd and 4th place finishers back as far 1982, but I am a freak I guess.

1982 Poland, 1986 France, 1990 Italy, 1994 Sweden, 1998 Croatia, 2002 Turkey, 2006 Germany - up until Germany whoever finished 3rd failed to qualify for the following European Championships, so it could be seen as a curse until Germany broke it!

See, your not the only freak ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

third/fourth place, playoff in the WC, I realise they want to give a third place medal but this is the ultimate in sadism, let them go home ffs, who actually wants to play this game?

Does anybody actually give a fk who wins this match?

Do the players?

Would they rather head home for their holidays before they have to be back for preseason trainibg?

I know you're supporting England of course. Would you rather see them going home or come 3rd yourself if they happened to lose a semi-final? Really don't care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Boskowski wrote: »
    I know you're supporting England of course. Would you rather see them going home or come 3rd yourself if they happened to lose a semi-final? Really don't care?

England fan also.

Think the 3rd place game is a total waste of time. Players gutted after missing the chance to get to a semi final. Get em home, rest for a while and then back to the clubs for the season to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I don't think major nations take it seriously, the reserve teams that are often fielded highlight that. It is often a chance to give a swan-song to an older player (Kahn making his only appearance at the last World Cup for example) or to give a game to a younger player or squad journeyman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    England fan also.

Think the 3rd place game is a total waste of time. Players gutted after missing the chance to get to a semi final. Get em home, rest for a while and then back to the clubs for the season to start.

But especially for a footballing nation who is not routinely getting into semi-finals (England springs to mind for example SCNR) doesn't third place actually mean quite something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But especially for a footballing nation who is not routinely getting into semi-finals (England springs to mind for example SCNR) doesn't third place actually mean quite something?

We celebrated coming third in the under-20 World Cup so we'd probably die of happiness coming third in the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

IMO third place pay-offs are kind of unfair when they concern someone heading for golden boot. As we've seen before, often one team lies down in the 3rd/4th play off, allowing scores to be inflated higher than you'd expect based on WC form. If Klose scores tonight and gets one in the final, but David Villa goes out and whomps 4 past a hapless Uruguay side, then it is fair that he gets the Golden boot for a performance in a nothing match, where as Klose gets nothing for actually scoring in a properly competitive game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Trashbat wrote: »
    IMO third place pay-offs are kind of unfair when they concern someone heading for golden boot. As we've seen before, often one team lies down in the 3rd/4th play off, allowing scores to be inflated higher than you'd expect based on WC form. If Klose scores tonight and gets one in the final, but David Villa goes out and whomps 4 past a hapless Uruguay side, then it is fair that he gets the Golden boot for a performance in a nothing match, where as Klose gets nothing for actually scoring in a properly competitive game?

I'd much rather play in a World Cup Final, winning the Golden Boot doesn't compare in any way shape or form.

Trashbat wrote: »

It's as fair as someone bagging a hat-trick in the third group match against an already eliminated side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Imagine the reception the Irish team would get bringing home bronze medals... Id be very very proud if our boys done that. So yeah I think the third place playoff is a great thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's as fair as someone bagging a hat-trick in the third group match against an already eliminated side.

I see your hattrick and raise you to 5 with Oleg Salenko, joint golden boot winner 1994.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup_-_Group_B#Russia_v_Cameroon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

flahavaj wrote: »
    Apart from affecting the Golden Boot betting I usually have little or no interest in this match tbh. Should've been abolished years ago? Does anyone seriously remember off the top of their heads who came third at any of the last few World Cups, or even care?

Yeh I could list the 3rd and 4th from every world cup dating back to 1934 ( they didnt have 3rd place play off in 1930).

Look its part of the history of the World Cup. Its been there in every World Cup since 1934 so why change it! If somebody doesnt want to play then there would be many a fringe player who would be only too glad to play and represent his country.

I see your hattrick and raise you to 5 with Oleg Salenko, joint golden boot winner 1994.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup_-_Group_B#Russia_v_Cameroon

I was actually thinking of that exact game when I wrote that. Not that you'll believe me now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

It really doesnt mean anything. I see the match as a complete dead rubber. The good thing about it is sometimes the shackles come off and you can get a good game.

04072511 wrote: »
    Yeh I could list the 3rd and 4th from every world cup dating back to 1934 ( they didnt have 3rd place play off in 1930).

Look its part of the history of the World Cup. Its been there in every World Cup since 1934 so why change it! If somebody doesnt want to play then there would be many a fringe player who would be only too glad to play and represent his country.
    What age are you? Its not through memory of actually watching them I presume. Its just that you are a stats geek I'd imagine?

I can tell you every semi and quarter finalist since 1982 and its from watching the World Cup not reading up on who won what. I do know stuff that I've read too but if anyone asked me how did France do in the 1982 World Cup I would tell them they lost out in a penalty shoot-out in the semi-final to West Germany. I don't know nor care about where they finished be that 3rd or 4th because its unimportant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'm not sure it's necessary but why would anyone complain about more football?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Imagine the reception the Irish team would get bringing home bronze medals... Id be very very proud if our boys done that. So yeah I think the third place playoff is a great thing

Would be brilliant alright. Much better than getting tamely knocked out in the last 16 and coming home to a "heroes" reception in the Phoenix Park with Boyzone singing and dancing :rolleyes:

eagle eye wrote: »
    What age are you? Its not through memory of actually watching them I presume. Its just that you are a stats geek I'd imagine?

Yep you got me in one! Mid 20's, have known all this stuff since I was a wee kid! :D

If they finished 4th they would get just as big a reception.

You see it wouldn't be about the bronze medals, it would be the fact they got to a World Cup semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

In many Olympic sports, both losing semi-finalists are awarded bronze medals. This includes boxing and team sports such as soccer ...

I doubt many people would miss the 3rd/4th place game if it was abolished.

Well after today there will be just two games of football to enjoy. I'd rather that than just one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Like the idea of the Apres Match chaps getting another shot at punditry. The same thing happened in 1998, and it was an exercise in taking the piss out of Jimmy Hill.

Indifferent to the game itself. It is never really competitive, and it is often littered with goals, and mistakes. In 1994 there was 4, 1998 there was 3, 2002 there was 5 and 2006 there was 4.

I expect goals, and play with abandon !

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I was going to say exactly the same thing. If Ireland finished 3rd, we'd be all delighted. Giving them a hero's welcome at the airport. Personally, I didn't expect Uraguay to win their game against Holland but a part of me would have liked to see them do it because I remember how it was when Ireland beat them and how thrilled we were here and with the population they have, it's pretty similar to our own.

On another note, the fact that it's yet another football match to watch, I LOVE IT!

Advertisement