Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standardized Pub Pool Rules, What do you think?

• 07-07-2010 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi y'all, I have had an idea for the last couple of years and wanted to see how casual pub pool players feel about it.

My idea is quite simple in theory but would be a little complex in implementation. What I want to do is create a set of pub rules that could become standardized pool rules for pubs throughout Ireland. The rules would be a mix of rules that are played in pubs today but would not be as strict as World or European rules and would be aimed more at the casual pub player. They could be structured in such a way that would give both the novice and the more experienced player a since of fair-play.

It's my own personal experience while playing at different pubs around the country that each and every one is has there own variation on what the rules are. In some cases the variation on the rules are so strange and distort the game so much that it makes it not worth playing at all. I have often noticed that in some pubs the rules are used in such a way to facilitate either the stronger or weaker player, depending on the standard of play at the pub. It is my opinion that the rules should be there to give each and every player an equal chance no matter what their level of play is. :)

Wouldn't it be great to walk into any pub in the country and play a game of pool without have to talk over the house rules before or during a game. I have ofter played games in pubs and taken shots that any sane person would have thought perfectly legal only to be told that I just played a foul shot.:(

I know most people will not agree with me and will say whats the point or motive behind such an idea?. Well its quite simple really, I play pool a couple of times a week when I go to my local, I enjoy the craic and have a few pints while I'm at it. If I go to another pub and do the same I have to play by their rules, I have no problem with this unless I see the rules as being bias. I don't expect other pubs to play by my rules just because I say they are right, I maybe totally wrong, but what if I am right, should I have to play by their rules. I'm paying for the game and I am buying just as many pints as the next person while at the same time they have no rules displayed and appear to be making them up as the go along just to suite themselves.

So back to my point, if there was a set of standardized rules it would eliminate the arguing and nonsensical rules that exist in most pubs. It would also allow pub teams to play against one another without the worry of house rules. If it could be done I would be willing to setup a website to allow pubs to play pub team competitions. The website could be developed in such a way as to allow teams to enter into local or county competitions. These are just thoughts on my part so far but if anyone is interested I would love to hear what you think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

This is something the chairman of the Irish Blackball Association (and chairman of an international committee cant remember name also SPIF) Martain Kirwan has been trying to do for a long time, but is trying to make just one set of rules for pool on an international level. These are the Blackball rules http://www.irishpool.ie/Downloads/Rules/Blackball_Rules.pdf , it is hard to find any flaw in these rules , best and most exciting rules I have ever played. They do favor the more skilled player, but they also make better players by playing them. There is also an Irish tour running in its second year with 7 events this year, also there is international events run by the same people more info at http://irishpool.ie/ .
    While retaining and respecting the complete autonomy and independence of each member in the administration and running of their organisations, the aims and objectives of the southern Ireland pool federation are...

* To unite the small ball table county associations into one national association
    * To cultivate mutual friendships with all other types of national and international pool organisations.
    * To encourage the development of the game of Blackball Pool as a national and international sport.
    * To create and determine rules and regulations for the game of Blackball
    * To adopt a sports policy which is not in conflict with the continental structures of the World Pool Association, WCBS, and the IOC rules as set forth in the Olympic Charter
    * To recognise the WADA Anti-Doping Code and are determined to do our upmost in order to keep pool-billiards free from any and all performance enhancing drugs, our anti-doping rules are in accordance with the
    * WADA Anti-Doping Code
    * We recognise the WPA as the world governing body for pool sports with regards to their association to the WCBS, IOC, GAISF, ARISF, ASOIF

Advertisement