Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new DPM for irish DF

Options
  • 07-07-2010 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

is this true? im in the RDF, and i heard from one of the PDF lads that apparently the designer of the DPM pattern is raising his price to produce gear with the pattern on it.

from what i was a told he was an army sergeant who's wife made him a pencil case or map case with in a camo pattern (before our DPM obsiously), and his friends in work liked it and it cought on from there. i dont know if thats true either but im just saying what ive been told.

anyway, apparently he's looking for more and more money, and the DF is going to just do away with his deal, and design a new DPM.

now, obviously, this is just an army rumour, but is there any truth in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Sounds like a ball hop to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

bull.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭private2bcadet

hahaha

i think ye could be right lads,

anyone like the idea of the dpm being changed to a digital camo scheme no?
    a lot of the lads in the PDF i know are mad about the idea, but i think the original DPM looks much better that the new digital age crap.

opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

is this true? im in the RDF, and i heard from one of the PDF lads that apparently the designer of the DPM pattern is raising his price to produce gear with the pattern on it....now, obviously, this is just an army rumour, but is there any truth in it?

I doubt it.

For one thing the producer of the uniforms would be under contract.

There may be some confusion with a private enterprise producing non issue stuff in the DPM pattern. He can charge what he likes.

I doubt it.

For one thing the producer of the uniforms would be under contract.

There may be some confusion with a private enterprise producing non issue stuff in the DPM pattern. He can charge what he likes.

ya i see what you mean but i think the case is that the contracts run out, and he wants more money for a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I like the new BA camo myself,its meant to work in most terrain too afaik.

Mind you I cant see the Government looking to change the uniform at the moment.

I like the new BA camo myself,its meant to work in most terrain too afaik.

Mind you I cant see the Government looking to change the uniform at the moment.

ya true.

but i think they'l have to if its a case of saving money!

the new brit camo would be too bright for irish woodland though.. what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

is this true? im in the RDF, and i heard from one of the PDF lads that apparently the designer of the DPM pattern is raising his price to produce gear with the pattern on it.

from what i was a told he was an army sergeant who's wife made him a pencil case or map case with in a camo pattern (before our DPM obsiously), and his friends in work liked it and it cought on from there. i dont know if thats true either but im just saying what ive been told.

anyway, apparently he's looking for more and more money, and the DF is going to just do away with his deal, and design a new DPM.

now, obviously, this is just an army rumour, but is there any truth in it?

The design of the irish DPM is owned by the DF, so they don't heve to pay to use it, as to rising prices, well no matter what the rise, it is still cheaper to stay with current DPM. Imagine the cost of replacing all the kit currently on issue!

• Advertisement

SIRREX wrote: »
    The design of the irish DPM is owned by the DF, so they don't heve to pay to use it, as to rising prices, well no matter what the rise, it is still cheaper to stay with current DPM. Imagine the cost of replacing all the kit currently on issue!

ya true.

didnt know about the DF owning it though, if thats the case then its definitely a stupid rumor

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

the new brit camo would be too bright for irish woodland though.. what you think?

MTP/ multicam works surprisingly well here, ofc in some forested areas the current DPM would work better, but in others the MTP would work better IMO
    don't really see them changing it anytime soon though

gungun wrote: »
    MTP/ multicam works surprisingly well here, ofc in some forested areas the current DPM would work better, but in others the MTP would work better IMO
    don't really see them changing it anytime soon though

ya it turns out i was looking up the wrong camo. the mtp pattern seams very good actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

A contract has been signed by the DF and a company in Tyrone to produce Irish DPM uniform for the next 3 years.

So no, our DPM won't be changing anytime soon.

Poccington wrote: »
    A contract has been signed by the DF and a company in Tyrone to produce Irish DPM uniform for the next 3 years.

thanks, thats that question sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

So no more imports from Seyntex in Belgium then? Glad to see the contract has gone to a co. on the island at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mackbolan

Digital camouflage is much more effective than DPM's.
    The Irish military should make the change.

The British and American military were wearing camouflage uniforms since the 1970's before the Irish finally changed in the 1990's.

Now the Irish are behind again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

mackbolan wrote: »
    The Irish military should make the change.

The British and American military were wearing camouflage uniforms since the 1970's before the Irish finally changed in the 1990's.

The Brits are still wearing DPM and they're getting on just fine.

The Brits are still wearing DPM and they're getting on just fine.

Did I say they weren't?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

i don't think it is - it very much appears to have been a fashion - but its not, imho, better than a decent DPM (UK, Irish, French, German etc..) in real world conditions.

you can cetainly make a case that MTP/MultiCam is better than those DP's, but that, again imho, is because a) is uses a patern that screws up focusing, and b) its a damn sight lighter in colour than those DP's.

as i mentioned in the previous thread about DP, thats not an Afghanstan centric view, its based on seeing it in action on a variety of UK training areas (the wet, exposed hill and moorland with dark forestry blocks of Sennybridge and Otterburn, mountainous Garelochead, and sandy, heathland and pine forests of Thetford) where i had expected it to stick out like a sore thumb, but found that it was better than a late issue woodland DP at both concealment and distruption.

• Advertisement

OS119 wrote: »
    i don't think it is - it very much appears to have been a fashion - but its not, imho, better than a decent DPM (UK, Irish, French, German etc..) in real world conditions.

you can cetainly make a case that MTP/MultiCam is better than those DP's, but that, again imho, is because a) is uses a patern that screws up focusing, and b) its a damn sight lighter in colour than those DP's.

as i mentioned in the previous thread about DP, thats not an Afghanstan centric view, its based on seeing it in action on a variety of UK training areas (the wet, exposed hill and moorland with dark forestry blocks of Sennybridge and Otterburn, mountainous Garelochead, and sandy, heathland and pine forests of Thetford) where i had expected it to stick out like a sore thumb, but found that it was better than a late issue woodland DP at both concealment and distruption.

I was doing a bit of paint balling a while ago and I could make out the guys wearing DPM's but I found it very hard to see the guys in digital camouflage.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

I was doing a bit of paint balling a while ago and I could make out the guys wearing DPM's but I found it very hard to see the guys in digital camouflage.

haha wtf??? thats what you're basing your opinion on??? You should ring up DFHQ and inform them, you are clearly an expert!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Is that what passes for a live fire exercise south of the border? Seriously, apart from protecting some cash in transit vans, what is the point of the Irish Defence Forces? Defence against what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I don't think it's unreasonable to offer an example of a time you noticed one form of camouflage is harder to spot than another in an outdoor environment.

Want to cop on a bit with the macho posturing there lads.

He does have a point though, I've seen USMC digital camo absolutely melt into foliage, while DPM is still visible. Not much, and probably not enough to give away a soldier in a decent firing position, but the difference is noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Do you say the same about the Israeli's? They wear Olive Green for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Max001 wrote: »
    Is that what passes for a live fire exercise south of the border? Seriously, apart from protecting some cash in transit vans, what is the point of the Irish Defence Forces? Defence against what exactly?

You Sir are a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

There were operational reasons for not wearing DPM on the Border, nobody wanted to see the DF being mistaken for BA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

the Company the OP alludes to is ProTac,but I believe the stories been slightly "Chinese whispered" if you like

http://www.protac.ie/store/index.php/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't think it's unreasonable to offer an example of a time you noticed one form of camouflage is harder to spot than another in an outdoor environment.

Especially considering that's how they're tested officially.

NTM

Advertisement