Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Offside Rule

• 07-07-2010 3:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

What makes you offside according to the rules??

If I'm swinging my arms and one arm is ahead of the play am I offside???
    If my feet are dead in line but I'm leaning forward while the defender leans the other way am I offside??

just what is the official rule on offside

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I was going to answer you, but between the time i clicked on "reply" and the time i finished typing this, FIFA changed the offside rule 6 times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

My own interpretation of the rules is that if any part of your body is ahead of the last defenders' then you are offside.

I can and probably will be proved wrong on this and it may be that any goalscoring part of your body (head, foot etc) ahead of the last defender would be offside but not an arm for example, as discussed in the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Degag wrote: »
    My own interpretation of the rules is that if any part of your body is ahead of the last defenders' then you are offside.

I can and probably will be proved wrong on this and it may be that any goalscoring part of your body (head, foot etc) ahead of the last defender would be offside but not an arm for example, as discussed in the other thread.

This is my understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Degag wrote: »

But what if, like Van Persie, you aren't the goalscorer but part of your body is offside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But what if, like Van Persie, you aren't the goalscorer but part of your body is offside?

If you accept he was interfering with play then one would assume he was in an offside position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Referee's discretion as to whether you're interfering with play I suppose? Hardly reliable though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

amacachi wrote: »
    If you accept he was interfering with play then one would assume he was in an offside position.

Was he in an offside position though?

He was pretty much in line with the defender apart from a small bit of his body, and as none of his body was a goalscoring part then should he not be given the benefit of the doubt as the attacker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

There was absolutely no question that he was interfering with play.

The question is whether he was offside or not.

It was extremely close. In real time it would be very difficult for the linesman to know for sure, and unless he's certain he should not flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If people are arguing over freeze frames and still not sure then as far as I'm concerned the benefit should go to the attacking team from the linesman in real time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

It's if any part of your body with which you can legally play the ball is beyond the second last opposition player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

jaykay74 wrote: »
    If people are arguing over freeze frames and still not sure then as far as I'm concerned the benefit should go to the attacking team from the linesman in real time.

As far as i know you are right.
    The benefit is always supposed to go with the attacking team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has the 'visible space' clause been expunged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's nothing to do with whether you score with that part of your body, it's whether that part of the body is capable of scoring. Basically, your arms are the only part that's allowed be past the last defender without you being offside

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Was he in an offside position though?

He was pretty much in line with the defender apart from a small bit of his body, and as none of his body was a goalscoring part then should he not be given the benefit of the doubt as the attacker?

His leg was ahead of the player. Its a goalscoring part of his body; therefore he was offside. Very difficult for the official though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ziggy wrote: »

I don't think it was an official rule, but I am fairly certain it was an 'unwritten' rule or something similar communicated to English officials a number of seasons back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    If my feet are dead in line but I'm leaning forward while the defender leans the other way am I offside??

Eamon Dunphy and Ronnie Whelan were talking about this the other day. Ronnie Whelan was saying more or less the same as yourself:

Eamo's answer: 'Ah your getting into anorak territory now'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Imo it should be just your planted feet that warrant being in an offside position,I know if I tried to call a players head offside in one of my matches I'd get ridiculed and more then likely a punch in my own head!

I don't think so. I think it was an actual directive

• Advertisement

I said i think
    Show me it wasn't

Good one ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offside_(association_football)

Laws of the game references at the bottom of the page.

Show me that this was just an Andy Gray rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    What makes you offside according to the rules??

just what is the official rule on offside

According to what i know, if any part of your body that you can legally score with is ahead of the last line of the defense, you are offside.

For me i'd prefer to see it being done by feet only, there are a few instances where players have timed runs perfect, but because they are leaning one way and the defender is pushing out and so leaning the other way they are ruled offside.

They always harp on about the advantage being with the attacking team, it is clearly not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

if its a part of your body you can legally score with for the attacker, assume its same for the defender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

amiable wrote: »
    Show me that this was just an Andy Gray rule

This makes no sense. It was never in the rules. You can spend all day looking through fifa's official rules, you will find no mention of this daylight rule because it never existed. The only place it was mentioned (besides regurgitations) was on sky. As well as the fact this was never in the rules, ref365 also had a long article about this rule never existing and how no such directive was ever recommended.

Even just by virtue of the fact I've never seen it implemented ( on purpose rather than in error), we can fairly safely say this rule does not exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I can see a move in the future to "any part of the attacker's body in line with any part of the defender's body," would favour the attacker [cf. Hernandez goal against France]

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This makes no sense. It was never in the rules. You can spend all day looking through fifa's official rules, you will find no mention of this daylight rule because it never existed. The only place it was mentioned (besides regurgitations) was on sky. As well as the fact this was never in the rules, ref365 also had a long article about this rule never existing and how no such directive was ever recommended.

Even just by virtue of the fact I've never seen it implemented ( on purpose rather than in error), we can fairly safely say this rule does not exist.

Do FIFA let us see the rules they used to have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

amiable wrote: »
    Do FIFA let us see the rules they used to have?

Instead, here. Direct from the FA.
    The Football Association insists that no new directive has been issued regarding the offside rule, despite reports to the contrary.
    There have been suggestions that there must now be "daylight" between the striker and defender before a linesman can flag.

However, the FA's head of refereeing John Baker insisted there has been no re-interpretation of the laws that have stood for the past 10 years.
    He told the FA website: "For some reason I have already heard three television commentators referring to a 'new directive' this season but the situation is exactly the same. If players are level, they are onside. But as soon as an attacker becomes closer to the goal-line than the second last defender, he is in an offside position."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/3033085/FA-dismiss-offside-rule-change.html

Seriously, that rule never existed and it would obviously be absolutely insane to have a rule say one thing while a 'directive' said something completely contradictory.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Instead, here. Direct from the FA.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/3033085/FA-dismiss-offside-rule-change.html

Seriously, that rule never existed and it would obviously be absolutely insane to have a rule say one thing while a 'directive' said something completely contradictory.

Thats just someone's opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement