Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real ID poised to kill the wow forums, in every sense

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Einstein wrote: »
    I don't like the fact that I cant play as offline though...sometimes its nice to just grind away anonymously...

I'm sure this will be implimented into the system at some point, just like you can show yourself ass offline while online on msn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

TheDoc wrote: »
    Bout time.

Not that anything serious can come of it imo, its about time people who want to act big behind a keyboard, deal with some consequencies.

As dustaz says, who uses that forum seriously anyway

You're seriously stupid if you think this has anything to do with trolling. I have my photo on my realm forums. I have no problem being open with people.

I, however, am a 26 year old male, former powerlifting world champion. I am not a female who gets countless pms, whispers and harrassing comments just for being a girl.

Also, imagine the 13 year old kid who plays who gets a tough time in school but can relax in game. His real name becomes apparent and some assholes from his school find out and bully him in game and tell embarrassing stories about him in trade.

So many more possibilities. Future employers seeing you play wow etc.

Games are a form of escapism, and I'm not on facebook because I had a psycho ex harrass me and everyone I knew through it. I quit this game if it goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I'm sure this will be implimented into the system at some point, just like you can show yourself ass offline while online on msn.

I think you can set your RealID thing in WoW to be "Busy" or "Away", willl check next time I am on. Its in the friends window, has a drop down bar and the 3 options.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,460 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I think you can set your RealID thing in WoW to be "Busy" or "Away", willl check next time I am on. Its in the friends window, has a drop down bar and the 3 options.
    correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Aparently people can see your real name now with a new version of gear score it shows up ........ DA FUK !!! i saw screenshots over on the mmo champion forum :confused: sigh your a loyal customer for how meny years anyone else feel like you have been sold out :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Never use the forum so i dont mind. Only thing i want to add is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgAkWxcPBE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    thats right, they still know I'm logged in though...Sometimes its nice to level an alt..grind away...and just do your own thing and not want peeps to know your online...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Interesting little read here about RealID hacks

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info17081-BNIsNotSelf.html

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Aparently people can see your real name now with a new version of gear score it shows up ........ DA FUK !!! i saw screenshots over on the mmo champion forum :confused: sigh your a loyal customer for how meny years anyone else feel like you have been sold out :confused:
    ?!

Does that mean RealID is now tied into the Armory??

I don't especially mind it on GS because it works the other way. The direction of travel Im most concerned about is when someone googles my real name and would find all my WoW ****.

*suddenly realises he's left a critical link to his facebook page and his forum name >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

928101530_dfXDB-L.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Can you not just simply change your billing name linked to your battle.net account to somehting like Mr, A. rsehole ? There has to be a way around this, one of the largest publishers and game dev companies in the world surely wouldnt have missed such a simple oversight...wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Can you not just simply change your billing name linked to your battle.net account to somehting like Mr, A. rsehole ? There has to be a way around this, one of the largest publishers and game dev companies in the world surely wouldnt have missed such a simple oversight...wait.

I changed the billing address and the postal address to no avail, pretty sure its a bound name to the account and cant be altered, like your username.

Either way they will have to make it more secure or let it effect their business which they wont, id be very surprised if they do with all this negative feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Overheal wrote: »
    ?!

Does that mean RealID is now tied into the Armory??

I don't especially mind it on GS because it works the other way. The direction of travel Im most concerned about is when someone googles my real name and would find all my WoW ****.

*suddenly realises he's left a critical link to his facebook page and his forum name >.<

I dont know id be fairly pissed if some assshat i dont know pm's me one day for a laugh going hi <incert name>, The video i saw on some site shows it you know you mouse over someone and you see there gear score in the little window thing your real name that is suppose to be tied to your account information which is meant to be private shows up. Kinda scary if its for real.

Anyway i cancelled my account i dont like what is happening i dont like to be taken for a ride after the amount of money ive spent on this game i never thought id actually stop playing over my right to privacy.

I hope they dont do this because i just spend a bomb two weeks ago moving chars and faction changing with friends and now we cant be arsed to even logg in.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Hello everyone,

I'd like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

It's important to note that we still remain committed to improving our forums. Our efforts are driven 100% by the desire to find ways to make our community areas more welcoming for players and encourage more constructive conversations about our games. We will still move forward with new forum features such as conversation threading, the ability to rate posts up or down, improved search functionality, and more. However, when we launch the new StarCraft II forums that include these new features, you will be posting by your StarCraft II Battle.net character name + character code, not your real name. The upgraded World of Warcraft forums with these new features will launch close to the release of Cataclysm, and also will not require your real name.

I want to make sure it's clear that our plans for the forums are completely separate from our plans for the optional in-game Real ID system now live with World of Warcraft and launching soon with StarCraft II. We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you'll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game. Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature.

In closing, I want to point out that our connection with our community has always been and will always be extremely important to us. We strongly believe that Every Voice Matters, ( http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/mission.html ) and we feel fortunate to have a community that cares so passionately about our games. We will always appreciate the feedback and support of our players, which has been a key to Blizzard's success from the beginning.

Mike Morhaime
    CEO & Cofounder
    Blizzard Entertainment

woop

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I hope they dont do this because i just spend a bomb two weeks ago moving chars and faction changing with friends and now we cant be arsed to even logg in.
    you know i havent even logged in since the day after the patch launched, now that you mention it.

I may cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

My wow acount name is horsefun so i think i'm ok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Your wow account name might be horsefun but what about your battle.net what name is that registered to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Hasn't this all been cancelled at this stage ? Blizzard pulled back from the idea due to emos cutting their wrists and splashing blood at their computer screens in protest etc., ?

I don't read their forums but read it somewhere else, The Register I think it was.

i figured someone wouldve posted that but yes blizzard royally backpedaled on the implementation after the internet started to bleed with nerd rage and the ESRB itself was flooded with ragemail..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

My accounts are still cancelled, they vexed me so! I may favour them with more of my cash when the expansion comes out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement