Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got my broadband

• 07-07-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭

I got my broadband, im on the 3mb broadband package

this is the test

[IMG][/img]871576604.png

the upload seems extremely low and my ping is very high, what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

as with everything broadband its either internal wiring issues, length of the line quality of the copper etc etc

as always make sure your connected to the master socket, wired to your computer not wireless, disconnect all other devices and re run the test and see what happens

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

shinzon wrote: »
    as with everything broadband its either internal wiring issues, length of the line quality of the copper etc etc

as always make sure your connected to the master socket, wired to your computer not wireless, disconnect all other devices and re run the test and see what happens

Shin

done that this is what i get

871589207.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Headshot wrote: »

Get us the linestats from your modem and we can tell far more.

http://192.168.1.254 for Eircom by default.

Spear wrote: »
    Get us the linestats from your modem and we can tell far more.

http://192.168.1.254 for Eircom by default.
    hey spear im new to this broadband thing and dont have a clue what what to look for in that link:o

will i print screen it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

hey spear im new to this broadband thing and dont have a clue what what to look for in that link:o

will i print screen it?

You want the lines that give info such as attenuation and SNR margin. It might be under a menu marked advanced or statistics.

• Advertisement

actually is this what your looking for

eircom broadband:
    Connected
    DSL Mode:
    ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed:
    3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up):
    11 dB /5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin:
    28 dB /15 dB

First DNS:
    83.70.93.244(dns3.cra.dublin.eircom.net)
    Secondary DNS:
    213.94.190.194(dns1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net)
    Tertiary DNS:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Those stats are fine, and your second speed test is in line with your package, so that's about what you're going to get.

If you were using a wireless link in the first speed test, then that's the problem. Wifi can often be a killer, depending on interference, walls/floors between the router and you, distance from the router, and so on.

thanks jor el

maybe i expected to much from my package, just watching a video there and i expected it fly through to the end but it takes it time

im going to try gaming on it now

871589207.png

yup thats about what youd expect from those stats, still though with the way i asked you to do it there was a jump in speed alright

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Enjoy broadband! :)

Ping seems very high still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah, although the speed is better on the 2nd test, the ping is very bad. With 200ms+ on the speedtest, that's not good.

Try running a ping to boards, in a cmd prompt type ping www.boards.ie and see what you get. The results on Speedtest.net can often be a bit off.

Of course the best test of all will be with an online game. If it works, then there's no problem. If you get lag and ping issues, then problem.

jor el wrote: »
    Yeah, although the speed is better on the 2nd test, the ping is very bad. With 200ms+ on the speedtest, that's not good.

Try running a ping to boards, in a cmd prompt type ping www.boards.ie and see what you get. The results on Speedtest.net can often be a bit off.

Of course the best test of all will be with an online game. If it works, then there's no problem. If you get lag and ping issues, then problem.

a long time since iv done ping stuff in cmd :)

is it just typing ping (space) www.boards.ie
    if so i got minimum 34ms, max 35ms and average 34ms

those that sound right ?

i also played it online and was astonished by no delays etc, really good stuff

a long time since iv done ping stuff in cmd :)

is it just typing ping (space) www.boards.ie
    if so i got minimum 34ms, max 35ms and average 34ms

those that sound right ?

i also played it online and was astonished by no delays etc, really good stuff

yup there about right looks like its settled down so enjoy :)

Shin

thanks folks for the help

I rang eircom to upgrade to 7m but they told me my phone line can only do 3mb but their online site told me different

and i checked my brother phone the other day and he could get broadband and now he cant

very strange :confused:

thanks folks for the help

I rang eircom to upgrade to 7m but they told me my phone line can only do 3mb but their online site told me different

and i checked my brother phone the other day and he could get broadband and now he cant

very strange :confused:

Eircom always err on the side of caution as regards BB, but the stats on your router are telling you that 3 meg is about all you can get with that line, any higher and youll be prone to disconnects at fairly regular intervals, is your exchange in an ngb enabled area check here

www.ngb.ie

there might be a small hope that if its not enabled yet they could squeeze some more juice out of the line once it is switched but probabaly not

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

hi headshot - i'm an eircom tech - wish my stat's at home were as good , contact eircom net , insist they send out a tech to check for'' low attainable's'' , this is the term used on a fault report issued to us tech's when we are asked to investigate any b/band related speed issue's , which we do daily , you could use the eircom net support forum , but i 'd suggest you ring 1890 260 260 , you should not be having problem's with stat's like that , best of luck.

hi headshot - i'm an eircom tech - wish my stat's at home were as good , contact eircom net , insist they send out a tech to check for'' low attainable's'' , this is the term used on a fault report issued to us tech's when we are asked to investigate any b/band related speed issue's , which we do daily , you could use the eircom net support forum , but i 'd suggest you ring 1890 260 260 , you should not be having problem's with stat's like that , best of luck.

thanks belowzero
    so my stats in post 7 is good is it?

im happy with my connection just wish i could get faster but iv waited for broadband for along time so I shouldnt complain

my brother is getting an eircom tech out to his house and having a look, he lives like only 1.5 miles away from the exchange and in a new built house so i fine it strange he cant get it at all

i also find it strange that alot of houses iv checked on eircoms broadband thingy shows alot of houses have the very same as myself 3mb and i even checked a new built house that is even closer to the exchange than myself can only do 3mb

Did eircom only install 1m & 3m in the exchange ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I don't understand why you can't get a higher package, you've got a noise margin of 28dB which is excellent. Your line attenuation is only 11dB so you must be within 1KM of the exchange.

In this situation I suggest ringing the tech support people and explaining you want a higher package and ask what their system shows your line as being capable of. They have access to a system which will show the max rate your line can be set to (whereas Sales normally just go by the prequal database which is less accurate). Tell them you have a SN/noise margin of 28dB as well. If they verify that you can get a higher package then ring up sales and insist they put the order through (they can do it manually if 'computer says no' too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

with those stats you should be able get 7MB no problems and id say if theres adsl2+ you'll be able get the uptp 24mb profile with a rough speed of about 20-22MB to be expected

cheers folks

I think there's somthing really strange going on

I put numerous numbers into this http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/?view=Eircomnet&BV_EngineID=&BV_SessionID=&cid=BBResults&lineSpeed=2048&ngb=false

and they all have 1mb or 3mb nothing higher, does my exchange have anything higher at all :confused:

iv another question my brother cant get broadband but his neighbour who's right beside him can and my brother is in a newer house than the neighbour

what's up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it's basic original ASDL, rather than newer ADSL2+, then any line more than 2km might only be able for 3Mbps package. The max speed would be 8Mbps, dropping to 5Mbps to 7Mbps @ 1km depending on line quality/crosstalk.

If there is a "pairgain" (sometimes used to connect newer houses when not enough copper pairs for one per house), then DSL can't be enabled at all and Dialup will be possibly 19k or even 9.6k instead of 42k.

hey watty

my house is only 500 yards from the exchange and iv tested phone lines that are closer to the exchange but all 1mb or 3mb

and thanks for the dial up tip, ill investigate that

no - something seriously wrong there - knew by yor stat's - get on to tech support - demand a tech out - have to go - ger v spn 2nd half startin

hey watty

my house is only 500 yards from the exchange and iv tested phone lines that are closer to the exchange but all 1mb or 3mb

and thanks for the dial up tip, ill investigate that

Ah, but how do the phone cables get to exchange?

watty wrote: »
    Ah, but how do the phone cables get to exchange?

they're up on a poles and there's a pole outside my house and that phone cables follows down the pool and goes underground into my house

so from my exchange to my house is up on poles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

He has attenuation that suggests a line length of less than 1KM......

Just ring tech support!

will do bkehoe

cheers

fair play to the spanish , anyhoo - the prequal test used to test pstn line's for b/band attainable's is a lamentable piece of cr@p - and the tech's report to say that a line can sustain say 1/3/5 or 10 mb etc is not even considered , because the prequal test take's presidence over what we know on the road. it's crazy i know - i don't laugh or cry myself to sleep anymore though. on your brother's line , it may be perfect but not pass prequal , there could be a fault on it and when cleared may pass prequal or he could be on a carrier , if he is - there is a specific request + process he can use to get taken off it - you don't give a general location rural , town etc , hope this help's you,cya

well my phone line can do 7mb for sure according to eircom technical help but the customer care says i can do only 3mb. But the technical help are going to try to sort me out with a 7mb line

I found out whats up with my brother, he's on a carrier line according to the eircom guy he had at his house but there's a chance they might be a spare line in the carrier

what should my brother do ?

• Advertisement

So, what I suspected.

Keep pestering them. It's a disgrace. Carrier lines don't even meet Comreg dialup spec.

Advertisement