Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got my broadband

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Eircom customer support tell me my line can only do 3mb while the technical support tell me my line can do 10mb

this is what i find strange why such a a big difference between them? and why wont they sell me 7mb ffs, is that hard to change the system to cooperate 7mb into it

Who has the more reliable test eircom customer care or technical support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

hi - the tech support test is the defining test - tech support say yes , a tech would say yes , but sale's say no - had this issue with a friend's line in sligo , crazy set up - contact them on the eircom net user's forum , and see what responce you get .
    for your brother , and anybody on a carrier , the process is as follow's , ( the full detail's should be on comreg site), as this work is done by our service delivery tech's, i'm on maintenance , i'm not totally up to speed on the full detail , but in brief , he need's to either write or mail eircom and copy in comreg or post a copy of letter to comreg , stating that he has been informed or is aware that his pstn service is being provided via a carrier system , and officially request that he be removed from same , so that b/band can be provided, this initiate's a service request to our service delivery team's , a service delivery tech , will then survey and and if at all possible , wil remove him from the carrier , these job's can take a hell of a lot of time and effort on the tech's behalf , and are usually sucessfull , unless large amount's of cable , resource's etc are required.by and large though , most tech's will find a way around it, if at all possible , but we are not magician's - hope this help's .

hi - the tech support test is the defining test - tech support say yes , a tech would say yes , but sale's say no - had this issue with a friend's line in sligo , crazy set up - contact them on the eircom net user's forum , and see what responce you get .
    for your brother , and anybody on a carrier , the process is as follow's , ( the full detail's should be on comreg site), as this work is done by our service delivery tech's, i'm on maintenance , i'm not totally up to speed on the full detail , but in brief , he need's to either write or mail eircom and copy in comreg or post a copy of letter to comreg , stating that he has been informed or is aware that his pstn service is being provided via a carrier system , and officially request that he be removed from same , so that b/band can be provided, this initiate's a service request to our service delivery team's , a service delivery tech , will then survey and and if at all possible , wil remove him from the carrier , these job's can take a hell of a lot of time and effort on the tech's behalf , and are usually sucessfull , unless large amount's of cable , resource's etc are required.by and large though , most tech's will find a way around it, if at all possible , but we are not magician's - hope this help's .

how did you friend get it sorted out belowzero?

I contacted comreg today and told them about my brothers carrier lines and the impression i got from them is its up to eircom if they want to change it or not, they cant do anything, i was shocked by that

btw thanks for the help so far mate:)

that is the process for geting off a carrier as far as i'm aware , because our service delivery tech's do them regularly ,and that is how the service request come's down , as for my bud in sligo , i can honestly say i don't know , i had given up - i think he got it through going on the eircom net user's forum - because he rang me to say a modem arrived in the post ,(more or less out of the blue) he plugged it in and it worked , he only get's 1mb where he is , but it suit's him for his type of surfing.
    i know it's a catch 22 situation , that we tech's and eircom net tech's and csr's have been high lighting for year's , why this simple issue has not been resolved , god only know's , at the end of the day , tech's and csr's are the very bottom rung , on a very big corporate ladder.

cheers belowzero, iv also started that thread in the eircom forum

• Advertisement

good hope it help's - i use eircom net tech support , just like every body else , i que like every body else , for answer's when i have my own home b/band queries , there's no special treatment or shortcut's , just because i work for the company , which is how it should be , we don't get a discount on our bill's or free line rental (not even our retired staff), which again is how it should be , the'' limitation's'' that we operate under are as immence , in so far as , there is a rule and regulation , under the regulatory framework , for every single aspect of our role's - be they tech's , csr's etc ,the regulatory framework is law , with severe fine's and consecquence's for crossing over it , and believe me it is very strictly policed in our daily role's , so a lot of us naturally err on the side of caution , when regulatory matter's are an issue , and on the other side to make sure they don't become a regulatory issue - anyway i digress , hope you get sorted soon - cya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

good hope it help's - i use eircom net tech support , just like every body else , i que like every body else , for answer's when i have my own home b/band queries , there's no special treatment or shortcut's , just because i work for the company , which is how it should be , we don't get a discount on our bill's or free line rental (not even our retired staff), which again is how it should be , the'' limitation's'' that we operate under are as immence , in so far as , there is a rule and regulation , under the regulatory framework , for every single aspect of our role's - be they tech's , csr's etc ,the regulatory framework is law , with severe fine's and consecquence's for crossing over it , and believe me it is very strictly policed in our daily role's , so a lot of us naturally err on the side of caution , when regulatory matter's are an issue , and on the other side to make sure they don't become a regulatory issue - anyway i digress , hope you get sorted soon - cya

do you mind if i ask you a question 10belowzero? my exchange is adsl2+ enabled.. how does one get their standard adsl moved over to the ADSL2+ equipment? or is it possible?

cheers

simply by requesting an upgrade to a higher speed , which as far as i;m aware moving you off the older dsl equip you are working on , you know , you have me there , as my own local exch is not done yet , although i know there are crew's working on tranfering over sub's automatically in block's of 400 @ a time , when the upgrade's are done , don't know if this is standard , but am asuming it is , those transfer's take an enormous amount of time ,as each cust has to be done indivisually.i'll find out , be handy to know , when my own exch is done . the exch's only geting b/band now , are adsl2 by standard. as far as i know , the space's in the exch's are been created at the mo for the ngb - the equip to be used is still not known to us (still top secret) manufacturer's , type etc , all we know at present is that the space created are for ''vdf's'' - virtual distribution frame's . i'll find out more on your question , as i try not to dwell on stat's etc , term's etc or my mind might melt , more than it all ready has - cya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

simply by requesting an upgrade to a higher speed , which as far as i;m aware moving you off the older dsl equip you are working on , you know , you have me there , as my own local exch is not done yet , although i know there are crew's working on tranfering over sub's automatically in block's of 400 @ a time , when the upgrade's are done , don't know if this is standard , but am asuming it is , those transfer's take an enormous amount of time ,as each cust has to be done indivisually.i'll find out , be handy to know , when my own exch is done . the exch's only geting b/band now , are adsl2 by standard. as far as i know , the space's in the exch's are been created at the mo for the ngb - the equip to be used is still not known to us (still top secret) manufacturer's , type etc , all we know at present is that the space created are for ''vdf's'' - virtual distribution frame's . i'll find out more on your question , as i try not to dwell on stat's etc , term's etc or my mind might melt , more than it all ready has - cya

grand thanks... my exhange was upgraded to adsl2+ yonks ago. i recently got connected to eircom NGB broadband advanced package.

many thanks for your help much appreciated.

ah damn some bad news

this what eircom connect have said

"Hi,

I pushed through the test and at the moment you are on the maximum speed you can get. The line can easily take 7Mb but the exchange is not able to support that speed."

isnt that very strange about my exchange :( :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ancient backhaul or Noah's DSLAM.

watty wrote: »
    Ancient backhaul or Noah's DSLAM.

what do they mean watty?

hi headshot , sorry to hear that , i did not know of speed cap's being in place, on certain exch's , i just assumed , once you had service , speed increase's , were not an issue , once your line could handle it , i'm in dublin ,so am not familiar with issue's like this , that some rural exch's might have. all i can advise is to check in , with them every so often , upgrade's or improvement's , happen with out notification , your in the same boat as me , my local exchange is not even listed on eircom site for upgrade this year , can't complain though , i'm on 7mb , it went crazy , 2 week's ago , but since , have been geting 6.2/5 on speed tests , which is the best ,i ve ever got , but i'm a speed freak 1gb , woul't be enough for me , especially after all my year's of gaming , i've only started playing on line recently(tom clancy's - hawx) - god what have i been missing.
    any way hold on in there , eircom has been getting a right bashing of late , with all the doom and gloom , but it is going to improve, with a little creative thinking by our new owner's and manager's, which for the first time in year's, there is a glimmer of light on a very dark sky -tnk's headshot - cya

I found out somthing about my exchange today

I noticed a pole with dishes near the exchange and the eircom engineers have told me that sends a signal from one exchange (they dont know which one, could be Dundrum) and beams it to my exchange. Wonder is that why i cant get 8mb ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Headshot wrote: »
    I found out somthing about my exchange today

I noticed a pole with dishes near the exchange and the eircom engineers have told me that sends a signal from one exchange (they dont know which one, could be Dundrum) and beams it to my exchange. Wonder is that why i cant get 8mb ?

hmm thats strange have never heard or seen this before
    dishes as in wireless sattelite type dishes??:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

jay93 wrote: »
    hmm thats strange have never heard or seen this before
    dishes as in wireless sattelite type dishes??:confused::confused:

Most probably there is no fibre going to that exchange and they just have a microwave link to one of their towers to provide it with voice and internet connectivity.

A lot of rural exchanges are done this way, there is load of them.

Most probably there is no fibre going to that exchange and they just have a microwave link to one of their towers to provide it with voice and internet connectivity.

bingo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It appears that while your exchange may have ADSL2+ gear they may not have the backhaul to sell ADSL2+ products on it. Alternatively they recycled ADSL1 gear into it.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It appears that while your exchange may have ADSL2+ gear they may not have the backhaul to sell ADSL2+ products on it. Alternatively they recycled ADSL1 gear into it.

sorry but what does that mean sponge bob ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thye may only have 32mbits or 155mbits backhaul for the whole exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Could you write to eircom to see why they will not offer anyone speeds over 3 megs, and if they're going to upgrade the exchange any time soon?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Thye may only have 32mbits or 155mbits backhaul for the whole exchange.

im not sure what all this backhaul stuff means :o
    Could you write to eircom to see why they will not offer anyone speeds over 3 megs, and if they're going to upgrade the exchange any time soon?

ill do that TBC

you couldnt provide an email address please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

heres what i get;

880531446.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Headshot wrote: »
    im not sure what all this backhaul stuff means :o

ill do that TBC

you couldnt provide an email address please
    I meant write as in snail mail. Eircom don't seem to give out any email addresses for these sort of things. Emailing the CEO often works, but I don't have the current CEO's address I'm afraid.

I meant write as in snail mail. Eircom don't seem to give out any email addresses for these sort of things. Emailing the CEO often works, but I don't have the current CEO's address I'm afraid.

thanks TBC, ill have to look around for that address

Advertisement