Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what boat

• 07-07-2010 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

hi i am fishing with a small 15 ft open boat in west limerick from ballylongford pier i was hoping to upgrade to a little bigger say a 20ft or so .i was looking a an old wooden boat with inboard diesel but i am afraid its too slow to go down to the loop as it would take 3 hrs and probaly four return .i was wondering if anybody would give me a idea of what boat i would be able to get on budget max 5k that would be comfortably and steady while still be able to do around 15 knots.thanks again for ideas
    :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have a look on apolloduck.ie at the Orkney and Shetland boats, they'd be a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

i have seen orkney there are very expensive and shetland are more a crusier i would love the wooden boat i saw but like i say its too slow at 8 knots has anybody any experenice of this speed down in the loop ...:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Wooden boats are maintenance whores. The rule of thumb from people who own them are two days maintenance for every one days use. Unless you're into that side of it then stay away. Plus it will be heavier and so use more fuel and slower in the water.

Plenty of shetland's used just for fishing and there's at least half a dozen Orkney's on Apolloduck less than 5k or within bargaining distance of that limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

also look here you will get a good one here

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/boats/for-sale/Ireland/boats?source=all

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭supermilk1

Hi there jerdee,
    I agree an orkney is a good boat for fishing.Sturdy and plenty of space. Another one i would say you should have a look at is a wilson flyer.about 17 - 22 foot. safe and loads of space. and they can fairly move with the right outboard.should pick one up handy for your budget.
    The problem with the shetlands are they havent enough space to fish comfortably.they lose alot of space due to their cabins and seating.believe me, I had a black hawk and a 535. great little boat tho.sorry i sold my black hawk. im always keepin an eye 4 a cheap one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 david21

Why not get a little sailboat and enjoy the trip to the loop?

Advertisement