Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation Contracts

Options
  • 07-07-2010 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hey just wondering if anyone who's up on their Accomodation laws could give me some advice.

I'm looking at a house for next year that costs a lot more per month for a 9 month contract than a 12 month contract, however im wondering is there anything legally stopping me from signing a 12 month contract, staying for 9 months, and then giving notice that I want to leave (obviously losing my initial deposit - however this way still works out a lot cheaper)?

Am I legally obliged to find a replacement or to pay for the remainder of my contract or am I free to leave at any stage and just lose my initial deposit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you could be sued for the remaining rent if you leave a fixed term lease early.

I'd search for another place that is willing to do a 9 month lease for the same price as a 12 month.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

I was hoping that wasnt the case! Ah well I suppose I'll have to look elsewhere. The price difference between a 9month and 12 month is ridiculous, we'd actually save 600 euro by paying for the full year than just for the 9 months, where's the logic in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Xiney is correct you will most probably be sued for the remaing 3 months rent.

Remember it is a renters market out there. You will definatly be able to find somewhere to offer you a 9 month lease or a part 4 tennancy. Remember your in control and negotiate with that in mind.

Advertisement