Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mozzie Repellant

Options
  • 07-07-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of an insect repellent that actually works? Going to Fiji soon and usually here in NZ I get eaten alive in summer so i'm expecting to be dinner bigtime for the bugs in Fiji. Before I blow $20 on yet another spray that does sweet feck all like I bought last summer...any recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Off - Skintastic

http://www.scjohnson.com.au/products/off_repellent/off_personal.htm

Doesn't stink like the old Aeroguard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I found bushmans to be the best, also there is a cream called mozzy stuff that works pretty well. Anything high in deet works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

According to the Kiwi sitting next to me, he uses an ancient recipe of baby oil, Dettol & methylated spirits. Says it works wonders for Sandflys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

Haven't used deet since it melted all the colouring off a plastic bag I was holding. Kind of freaked me out thinking about what it does to your skin/ eyes etc. I always found the natural ones to be pretty good, but for when you're asleep at night pick up some of those plug in things in Australia. I can't remember what they're called but all the supermarkets sell them, you put a little cartridge in them and plug it in and it keeps them away a treat.

Mozzies are most active around dusk and dawn, so just make sure you cover yourself well at those times and you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

plonk wrote: »
    I found bushmans to be the best, also there is a cream called mozzy stuff that works pretty well. Anything high in deet works well.
    +1 on the bushmans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Go with someone who gets eaten more than you.

I couldnt tell you as they dont bite me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Try and get Mosquito Milk http://www.mosquitomilk.co.uk/ It does contain Deet but whatever the formula its not half as drying as other products. AFAIK you can't buy it here in Ireland, but i did manage to find some in a chemist in Aukland and the i've found the link above is trustworthy. The smell is pleasant too, and a regular bottle will last ages. I've heard that Avon's Skin So Soft is pretty good, but the Mozzies in Fiji are massive :eek: and don't back down easily!! Might be worth it to buy a net too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Huge eh...they're going to destroy me. I get amazing reactions to bites too. Must get antihistamines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Yeah, they're monster Mozzies lol! I found closing the windows tight as soon as it started to get dusk helped greatly, but my Bure had a really good fan, otherwise it would have got really hot. As i said, a mosquito net would be a good idea, especially if your on a budget and have to stay in a hostel, some of them are beyond basic. They fold up pretty small too, so it wouldn't take up much room at all. And if you can, get an after bite pen, one of those that you can dab on the bite, or better still a Mosquito-click pen (http://www.mosquitoclick.com/) they're fantastic!!

Advertisement