Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPNs

Options
  • 07-07-2010 9:54am
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to the concept of VPNs and I have been looking at open VPN and the open VPN module of untangle more specifically..

What I'm trying to achieve is to have several sites on the same VPN, all the sites need to be accessible from one location, but they do not necessarily need to access each other.

Just looking for some general advice on what kind of setup would be suitable.

There will be a mini-ITX computer with dual LAN at every site to run Open VPN / Untangle or similar.

My ideal setup would be to have a site to site connection from evey site to a "main office" server. Then any computer could join the network with the Open VPN client and have access to all the sites.

Would really appreciate some advice!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

We use Endian opensource in our office with an endian in each remote office that needs site to site, and install openvpn client on our roadwarrior laptops. Never had a problem and works a treat.

Endian is a full solution: firewall, DHCP, DNS, Proxy, VPN, QOS and more.
    It really is the business.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Looks promising! Thanks for the reply

Im comfortable with setting up a simple Server -> Client VPN.

Im not quiet sure how to setup multiple site to site connections where multiple remote sites are connected to a master server and connecting to this "master" server using the OpenVPN client would give access to the resources of all the "slave" sites..

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

do all sites have a server? a site to site vpn via w2k3 rras would work well.. you can configure dial on demand also

All sites have a 3g modem / router, a switch and a small computer.

The machines that I need to connect to are Date Loggers and other process instruments with serial or Ethernet interfaces. Thats why I need to provide the tunnel at a hardware level as I cant run a software VPN solution on those machines.

I was hoping to use as much Open Source / free software as possible and I have been doing a lot of research, its just all a bit mind boggling when you first get stuck in :)

Thanks for the help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

what is your 3g router/modem? Maybe it has a method of initiating a VPN tunnel, so all you need to do is provide the tunnel server at head office

• Advertisement

That would be nice alright! But its a Dovado 3GN, it only supports VPN passthrough, it cant act as a VPN server unfortunately..

There are 3g modems with VPN server functionality but they are €700+ :/

As soon as the machines arrive ill have to get stuck in and play around with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

conzymaher wrote: »
    Looks promising! Thanks for the reply

Im comfortable with setting up a simple Server -> Client VPN.

Im not quiet sure how to setup multiple site to site connections where multiple remote sites are connected to a master server and connecting to this "master" server using the OpenVPN client would give access to the resources of all the "slave" sites..

Any tips?

With Endian and OpenVPN, there is no difference between setting up client to server as site to site VPN.

Yes, all sites on the VPN can "see" each other.

Advertisement