Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do I get High Nelly/Dutch Handlebars?

• 07-07-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a Trek Navigator (I think its the T30).

I also have back problems that mean I need to sit as upright as possible on the bike.

I have the handlebars adjusted as upright as possible but it's not quite upright enough.

Where can I get handlebars that would fit my bike, wouldn't break the bank and would give me a really upright ride?

(I had a quick look at CRC but nothing (except the chopper handlebars!!) jumped out at me)

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

I'd say try Rothar - www.rothar.ie / www.tinyurl.com/rotharmap - they're a not for profit community bike shop based in Phibsborough - I used to volunteer there as a bike mechanic quite a lot and I know from experience that they've boxes and boxes of stuff lying around, I'm pretty sure they'd have something that would suit or that they'd be able to get something for you.

If you want to give them a call their number is 018602615

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

While we semi on the subject, have you seen these?

Bike Porter

CPH-Parts_bike_perspective-close.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Seriously? A stylish basket for hipster-fixies?

So many things wrong with this I think I just had a stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Looks a bit pointless, all the weight on the handlebars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

SubLuminal wrote: »
    A stylish basket for hipster-fixies?.

I haven't checked, but I'm guessing it would also fit on to normal fixies and town bikes with gears.
    Looks a bit pointless, all the weight on the handlebars?

It would probably feel really weird to turn with something heavy stowed in the basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

I have two pairs of alloy bars that should suit you. One is a classic sit up and beg type like on my pashley but it's polished aluminum instead of steel- They've never been used and take regular mtb/ hybrid brake or gear levers.

The other pair is a used moustache bar made by origin8 but the same as a nitto moustache bar- these take road brake levers and bar tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Thanks for those great replies folks.

My back is in a bad way (phsyio was pouding and pummelling it last night) so looking forward to getting upright on my bike.

That built-in basket looks like a mini version of the old delivery boy bikes (the likes of which are still used by An Post). It looks a bit small/shallow to be of much used.

I have a big wicker basket on my bike which I am guilty of completely overloading with shopping - I know I've carried more than 10 kg in it. What with my handlebars already being adjusted very upright (which affects the sensitivity of the steering), it certainly does take getting used to to carry those sorts of loads. But if I can do it anyone can...

Cyco, are you selling your spare handlebars? Any pics? (Love the Pashleys but my bum doesn't have enough built-in shock absorbency to endure their bone-shaking - which is saying a lot as my butt is not short of natural padding!!)

I am selling them yes. I have no very good pictures but one pair is the same shape as on the pashley here and the other pair is shown here on my lapierre. I bought the unused ones in rothar for 20 quid so I'd like to recover as much of that as possible seeing as they're unused. The other pair's a bit fancier but used and I think 20- 25 would be fair for them. I also have a brooks type saddle very similar to the one on the pashley but made by Lepper in holland if you're that way inclined!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When they are up and running, these guys might be able to help you. http://bear-bicycles.com/index.php
    SubLuminal wrote: »
    Seriously? A stylish basket for hipster-fixies?
    If you want to go racing, you just change your handle bars. :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Cyco, thanks for your reply. I think I need a bigger rise in my new handlebars than your handlebars have... almost approaching chopper handlebars. In other words I need handlebars that will bring my hand position while cycling both up and back (I'm currently leaning a bit too far forward and downward - not that you'd think that if you saw me on my bike!)

Thanks for posting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

cyco- I might be interested in your Lepper saddle. Thoughts on a price?

(It's not on adverts.ie is it? Didn't see it in your link. Pics would be handy if possible, thanks.:))

Advertisement