Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropdown menu problem

Options
  • 07-07-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am currently trying to design a website which will have dropdown navigation menu. The page will have 3 different frames (nav, side nav and content). My problem is that the dropdown is in the nav-frame and when I hover over the menu it does indeed dropdown but is then hidden behind the content-frame.

My question is, is there anyway to make it come in front of the content-frame (so to speak).

Any help appreciated!

Comments

Is there a good reason for using frames? Frames are not used much anymore - they are problematic as you have discovered. My advice would be to change your structure and use divs instead of frames for layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Is there a good reason for using frames? Frames are not used much anymore - they are problematic as you have discovered. My advice would be to change your structure and use divs instead of frames for layout.

We use divs/css mostly but the boss wants the Intranet redesigned and to use frames so when a change is made to the nav we dont have to change every page. Is there another way around this?

Roaster wrote: »
    We use divs/css mostly but the boss wants the Intranet redesigned and to use frames so when a change is made to the nav we dont have to change every page. Is there another way around this?

Absolutely - the easiest thing to do would be server side includes (e.g the include() function in PHP). You would create one header file including banner and nav menu, and another for the footer. You then just include the header file at the top of every content page and the footer file at the bottom. This way you only need to edit the header file to propagate the nav change throughout the entire site.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Absolutely - the easiest thing to do would be server side includes (e.g the include() function in PHP). You would create one header file including banner and nav menu, and another for the footer. You then just include the header file at the top of every content page and the footer file at the bottom. This way you only need to edit the header file to propagate the nav change throughout the entire site.

Cheers SBS, much appreciated but when it comes to PHP I haven't a clue, would you mind sending me a link as an example. Thanks.

Roaster wrote: »
    Cheers SBS, much appreciated but when it comes to PHP I haven't a clue, would you mind sending me a link as an example. Thanks.

Sure - here you go:
    http://www.tizag.com/phpT/include.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm VERY surprised that that php tutorial advises keeping the html and body tags in the menu.php!!!!

The logical "component-ised" approach would be
    <html>
    <head>
    <!-- HEAD STUFF HERE -->
    </head>
    <body>
    <?php include("includes/menu.php"); ?>
    <!-- ON-PAGE STUFF HERE -->
    </body>
    </html>

Good point. I'm not recommending that tut as best-in-class - it was simply the first result in my google search :p

Advertisement