Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard paint stripper?

• 07-07-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I just got the ceiling skimmed and coving put up in my house, grand job. However while taking off the skirting board I have noticed that the paint on the walls (not new) peels away in large chunks. I went at it with a sharp paint scraper and was able to take large amounts of it off in one go...in certain areas the rest is stuck pretty well (seems to be in areas where there was little skim so was probably dry enough to pain..unlike the rest of it!)

So, whats the best way to remove the stuck on paint? I have seen mention of water based paint strippers for plaster but cant find them anywhere and I dont really want to use Nitromors on walls.

Whats the alternative? If I was to pay someone to come in what would they do? If I sand/feather the stuck paint will it show up in the finished paint job?

I would re-skim but the coving is up now and dont want to have to redo it...

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you use a wallpaper steamer to try to get it off, the chances are it'll penetrate the paper lining of the plasterboard and that'll come off too, leaving you worse off.

I'd try to get the wall skimmed if possible, as scraping it off and the like will leave marks that would more than likely always be visilble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thanks, Im concerned about getting it skimmed for a couple of reasons, 1 becuase of the coving but 2 because its the hall...where do you stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ok I was able to take off all the loose paint (about 80% of the damn wall :()
    It was coming off in huge chunks with the scraper, was I right to assume that I couldnt have painted over this or was there an easier way (PVA etc?)

Im now in the process of feathering down the edges of the remaining paint, is there any hope that this will leave an acceptable finish?

The skim underneath is in pretty good shape in most parts, nothing a light sanding wont fix, however in some places its very pitted, usually around where the paint still is. Whats the best way to fill this, mix up some skim or some polyfilla etc?

Thx!

Advertisement