Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin 705 More Crap

• 07-07-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Just would really like to stress to any of you considering buying this POS ... DONT !!! Get the 500 !!!

Left my 705 switched on last night after a training spin ( bike was in the boot of the car and couldn't be arsed in the p!ssing rain to take it out ), switch it on 2 mins ago and ALL HISTORY GONE !!! :mad:

Some F@&KING UPGRADE GARMIN, you shower of @&%S !!! :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Murph100 wrote: »
    Just would really like to stress to any of you considering buying this POS ... DONT !!! Get the 500 !!!

Left my 705 switched on last night after a training spin ( bike was in the boot of the car and couldn't be arsed in the p!ssing rain to take it out ), switch it on 2 mins ago and ALL HISTORY GONE !!! :mad:

Some F@&KING UPGRADE GARMIN, you shower of @&%S !!! :mad::mad::mad:

The upgrade does not delete the history files. connect to you PC and the files should still be there. When you upgrade the older files are not displayed on the Garmin itself, but they are still there..don't panic just yet.

(It is a bit of a pain though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Cheers Lapierre, but unfortunately its a lil' different in this case. I did the upgrade a few weeks back with no major problems, no data disappearing from the device history either. Connected to my Mac on Sun, transferred everything across as normal. Then went for a spin Mon and last night, left it switched on by accident, connected up me Mac as normal this morning and NOTHING either on the device or the Mac.

This is about the 5th time I've connected to the Mac after updating the software, and could see all previous rides on the device history, now its showing nothing.

So now I've gone into the device through Finder ( main Mac desktop browser ) and I can see the old files right up to the last backup ( Sun ), but the 2 most recent spins are not there, where did they vanish to ?

I hope no one here works for Garmin tech support, its gonna be some beaut of a call this evening ! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

If it makes you feel any better I've found a similar-ish issue on the 500.

Go out for a ride, come back, stop timer, go away & have shower, come back to find unit has powered off, turn on (ride data still on screen and on the various pages), reset (as you do to save the data and set the unit up for its next ride), connect to PC - no dice, no recorded data. Nada. Around then comes the rage and frustration.

If you press reset right after stopping the timer when you finish the ride I've found no problem - why the unit powering down would cause it to lose/fail to save all data despite it appearing to be there when turned back on beats me

Nope ... still trying ... to see ... through ... the red haze ... arrggghhhhh !!!
    CheGuedara wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better I've found a similar-ish issue on the 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Restore from TimeMachine?

DFD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Murph100 wrote: »
    Cheers Lapierre, but unfortunately its a lil' different in this case. I did the upgrade a few weeks back with no major problems, no data disappearing from the device history either. Connected to my Mac on Sun, transferred everything across as normal. Then went for a spin Mon and last night, left it switched on by accident, connected up me Mac as normal this morning and NOTHING either on the device or the Mac.

This is about the 5th time I've connected to the Mac after updating the software, and could see all previous rides on the device history, now its showing nothing.

So now I've gone into the device through Finder ( main Mac desktop browser ) and I can see the old files right up to the last backup ( Sun ), but the 2 most recent spins are not there, where did they vanish to ?

I hope no one here works for Garmin tech support, its gonna be some beaut of a call this evening ! :mad:

Oh right..thats different then... can't help you there I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

DFD.

Delorean Fixes Device?

Have the old ones, but recent ones after last sync have vanished :rolleyes:

DFD.

Dodgy F@%&ing Devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Surprisingly after firmware 3 I haven't noticed any issues with mine at all! No strange data loss, no automatic turns off and I think with the elevation correction on the garmin connect is even more accurate at this stage.

Just you wait ... its only biding its time, lulling you into a false sense of security until its ready... then... BAM !!!

I need a coffee I think !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kemase

I upgraded my 705 to 3.2 (from 3.1) and had to re-configure screen settings though it did remember the user profile. History wasn't visible on the device anymore, but can be seen in the folder via Finder/Explorer. Made a backup of those files elsewhere just in case.
    Seems to be a little quicker to get a GPS fix now but didn't notice any other difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

what did the garmin help line have to say about the problems

Still holding .... 9 mins laters, thank feck for Skype !!! :rolleyes:

Right then, just spoke to a bloke there, who suggested doing a complete hardware reset on the 705 ( Unplug from PC, hold Power & Mode together, say 'Yes' to delete all data ) and see if it behaves properly after that.

He also said its better to hit reset ( the normal one ! ) after hitting Stop when you're finished a ride, as not doing so can lead to data being saved slightly differently.

I used to only hit reset just before starting a spin, and never had any problems ... until now that is.

I'll give it a lash tomorrow.

Advertisement