Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Router??

Options
  • 07-07-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've just got RippleCom (formerly ICE) wireless broadband installed.

I now need a wireless router, what are your recommendations? What type of router do I need for this service?

Budget is around €70.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fr_ted

Hi,

These are great routers

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/15314078/Linksys_Wireless_G_Broadband_Router_54/WRT54GL_EU/default.aspx

or

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/20000097/NETGEAR_Wireless_Router/WGR614_900PES/default.aspx

Don't for get the 10 euro delivery charge!

I have no experience of Ripple communication, but if i understand correctly you have a outdoor wireless router with one cat5 cable plugged into your PC? T You should be able to just plug this cable into the router, but there may be some configuration involved. If so the linksys is the best bet.

hope this helps

Cheers
    Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Hi,

You will need any router with a WAN port - Looking at the back of the router you will have typically 5 Port - One WAN port and 4 LAN ports - Stick with decent brands, Linksys, Dlink and you will have no problem but just make sure read the specs and ensure you have a wan port!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

Thanks Guys, I ended up getting this

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1882272

It was some pain to configure using the "Easy setup wizard".

Ended up having to update the firmware to the "Advanced version" dd-wrt. Configuration then took about 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fr_ted

Hey dos30.
    Nice one. DD-WRT rocks!!
    Cheers
    Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NT2010

Hi am also trying to decide which router. A lot of the models now available N type rather than G. Appear the Ns are quicker but any reason I should or should not go for an N?
    Mainly used for browsing and email on laptop, iTouch and iPhone.
    Thanks for any assistance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

NT2010 wrote: »
    Hi am also trying to decide which router. A lot of the models now available N type rather than G. Appear the Ns are quicker but any reason I should or should not go for an N?
    Mainly used for browsing and email on laptop, iTouch and iPhone.
    Thanks for any assistance

If it is just for the internet then the N would be beneficial for distance as it is unlikely your internet speed will exceed that of the G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NT2010

Thanks Elara (Kin), spoke to a friend who has some knowledge of these matters and he confirmed N is the one to go for as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Remember thought that you will only get the full benefits of the 'n' standard if all the 'members' of the network are also 'n'

Advertisement