Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use my old netgear router?

Options
  • 07-07-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Apologies if this is a silly question...
    I used to be on NTL broadband and had a wireless netgear router and modem and adaptor card. Everything was perfect.
    I recently moved to an area where there isnt a phone line in the house. I am now on O2 mobile broadband but i am unhappy with it(connection keeps dropping, slow etc)

Was wondering if its possible to use the old netgear router and modem to set up a network or just the router?

O2 advised me that i could change from o2 mobile to a wireless router for a fee but if i already have one.....

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The modem that O2 are offering you will be a 3G one, as in it has an integrated 3G modem or a USB port to take the dongle you already have. Your Netgear router doesn't so you can't use it to connect to a 3G network.

Just FYI getting a 3G router will only do so much for you, most of them seem to just take the dongle that you are already using in your laptop. So in order to get the best signal you will have to position it in your house yourself. Even then, if it is positioned properly, it should give a more reliable signal and better bandwidth, it will do nothing to help your round trip time.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

thanks for the info. I thought as much but thought i might as well check before i throw it away.
    Thnks

Advertisement