Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it too early to...

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Eduardo

Lahm - Lugano - Friedrich - Coentrao

Schweinsteiger

Mueller
    Sneijder

Ozil

Forlan
    Villa

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Ah but they won't be by the end of the tournament (Top goalscorers that is)

Hopefully not...i would give anything for a Klose hat-trick tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Cesar

Maicon---Juan--Lucio---Lahm
    --Kuyt--Schweinsteiger--Sneijder--Podolski---
    Forlan---Villa

Cant believe I ended up with 4 of the Brazil back 5 - not many defenders have impressed all that much. Lucio probably fortunate to get in there.
    Maicon and Lahm have been the two full-backs of the World Cup for me so that's why I'm sticking in Lahm on the wrong side.
    Kuyt's been immense for the Dutch as has Sneijder while Schweinsteiger has oozed class. Podolski gets in on the left as he has been efffective withput being flashy

Up front Forlan has been the forward of the tournament especially given the relatively poor creative service provided by the Uraguyan midfielder (and I say that as a Liverpool fan who hates him) Villa has managed to look good even when played out of position.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

GK: Enyeama (Nigeria)

DL: Salcido (Mexico)
    DR: Maicon (Brazil)
    DC: Alcaraz (Paraguay)
    DC: Mathijsen (Holland

MR: Muller (Germany)
    ML: A. Ayew (Ghana)
    MC: Ozil (Germany)
    MC: Gargano (Uruguay)

S: Forlan (Uruguay)
    S: Villa (Spain)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Benaglio
    Maicon Lugano Alcaraz Coentrao
    Annan De Jong Schweinsteiger
    Forlan
    Klose Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

SantryRed wrote: »
    What is with everyone picking Neuer?

He's an accident waiting to happen.

He looks out of depth at times. Wouldn't know where he's going to put his hands next then. He'll be alright I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Boskowski wrote: »
    He looks out of depth at times. Wouldn't know where he's going to put his hands next then. He'll be alright I hope.

I'm not doubting he's a good keeper. He most definitely is. But there has been many times where he's completely missed a cross or spilt a shot. I can see Villa pouncing on one of these tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm not doubting he's a good keeper. He most definitely is. But there has been many times where he's completely missed a cross or spilt a shot. I can see Villa pouncing on one of these tonight.

If you look at the actual England goal it will highlight how bad he is with crosses. Luckily for him Spain are more inclined to try play the ball into the net rather than cross it...and they will be even less inclined to cross it since Torres is not playing.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Neuer
    Lahm---Friedrich---Mathijsen---Contreao
    Schweinsteiger
    De Jong
    Robben
    Sneijder
    Ozil
    Villa

That'd be a class team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

oh I totally agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

GK: Enyeama

RB: Lahm
    LB: Coentrao
    CB: Friedrich
    CB: Alcaraz

RM: Mueller
    LM: Podolski
    DM: Khedira
    CM: Oezil
    CM: Sneijder

CF: Higuaín

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's amazing very few posters, including myself, have any other Spanish players bar Villa.

Alonso has been impressive for one.

Xavi and Iniesta their normal metronomic, accurate selves.

it's funny.

it probably shows we've all just got used to their excellence in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's amazing very few posters, including myself, have any other Spanish players bar Villa.

Alonso has been impressive for one.

Xavi and Iniesta their normal metronomic, accurate selves.

it's funny.

it probably shows we've all just got used to their excellence in midfield.

I think they need to be incredible for anybody to sit up and take note. Mere excellence from Xavi or Iniesta is par for the course. That being said, the lopsided formation did them no favours. Tonight was their best performance by a long way and a balanced formation definitely played a part in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Casilles

Maicon
    Puyol
    Lucio
    Lahm

Alonso
    Schweinsteiger

Xavi
    Forlan
    Ozil

Villa

no offence intended, but anyone putting Casillas in their teams needs kicking.

at least 4 or 5 keepers have been more impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

seadnamac wrote: »

Casilles

Maicon
    Puyol
    Lucio
    Lahm

Alonso
    Schweinsteiger

Xavi
    Forlan
    Ozil

Villa

No Dutch?

Thought Ozil got worse as the tournament went on. Might stick Podolski on the left there!
    Would have Lugano ahead of Lucio too.
    Sneijder's simply been too good to be left out!

no offence intended, but anyone putting Casillas in their teams needs kicking.

at least 4 or 5 keepers have been more impressive.

We are in a poor era for keepers though.

We are in a poor era for keepers though.

no we're not.

Casillas, Buffon, Reina, Cech, Cesar to name a few are all proven top quality in general world football.

i'm merely talking about this World Cup, and Casillas hasn't been as good as several keepers. many have struggled but the likes of Eduardo, Enyeama, Muslera, even Neuer after a wobble have been better.

no we're not.

Casillas, Buffon, Reina, Cech, Cesar to name a few are all proven top quality in general world football.

i'm merely talking about this World Cup, and Casillas hasn't been as good as several keepers. many have struggled but the likes of Eduardo, Enyeama, Muslera, even Neuer after a wobble have been better.

Buffon and Casillas are not part of the 'new generation' though. Cech was never no Peter Schmeichel, but agree with Cesar

Enyeama made a boo-boo against Greece, and oddly looked better against the stronger team of Argentina.

Neuer was never really tested before tonight, but he's OK!

Muslera can thank his defence a lot.

Toss up between Eduardo and Casillas for me, but i'll wait to see how the latter does in the final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Buffon and Casillas are not part of the 'new generation' though. Cech was never no Peter Schmeichel, but agree with Cesar

Enyeama made a boo-boo against Greece, and oddly looked better against the stronger team of Argentina.

Neuer was never really tested before tonight, but he's OK!

Muslera can thank his defence a lot.

Toss up between Eduardo and Casillas for me, but i'll wait to see how the latter does in the final!

Casillas has looked oddly shaky all tournament, up until the QF when the penalty save seemed to turn on a switch in a him and revert him into the Casillas we have come to admire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought the Portuguese goalkeeper Eduardo was terrific. I believe he has an excellent clean sheet record too. I'll be keeping an eye out for him in future. He's only 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Eduardo

Maicon
    Alcaraz
    Lucio
    Lahm

Xavi
    Schweinsteiger

SNEIJDER

mueller

Villa

Forlan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

No Dutch?

Thought Ozil got worse as the tournament went on. Might stick Podolski on the left there!
    Would have Lugano ahead of Lucio too.
    Sneijder's simply been too good to be left out!

It was a toss up between Sneijder and Xavi to be honest but I just think Xavi has that bit more class. I really think people are underestimating just how good the Spanish midfield is playing/has played. Also i think Sneijder has been flattered by the goals he's gotten, two of which were fairly lucky (first against brazil and against Uruquay).

As regards Casilles, meh, I think he's been pretty solid and his important saves against Paraquay could well be the reason Spain are still in the competition. I don't think there has been a stand out Goalkeeper so I don't get all the anti-Casilles sentiment really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

isnt it mad to think after the season messi ronaldo and rooney had that they've just done sweet fup all in the world cup and that no one has picked any one of em(ok there was one guy who picked ronaldo to get an ex man u 11 but thats obviously a joke).

who would seriously have thought we'd be pickin our world cup 11 without any of these players? ronaldo was the only 1 of the 3 to score(1 goal) but other than that they've not been great by any means well you might argue messi had the "best world cup" prob the best performer out of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Enyeama

Lahm
    Lucio
    Alcaraz
    Salcido

Schweinsteiger
    Schneider
    Xavi

Mueller
    Forlan
    Villa