Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is best to get standard tv aerial installed

Options
  • 07-07-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi folks,
    i had to cancel my sky subsription as i dont really watch that much telly and i only really watch the rte channels.

so, i now need to get an aerial installed.
    i am based outside athenry.
    i have contacted o'connors in galway who said to supply & install it would cost 200 quid.

Can anyone reccomend someone\somewhere where i can get this done for less?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

jeez, you can get free sat for well under 200 quid...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask somewhere in here

Xiney wrote: »
    jeez, you can get free sat for well under 200 quid...
    But they won't have the RTE channels AFAIK, the OP would have to get a regular antenna regardless.

There are usually some installers in the Advertiser classifieds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

can ye not just get a room antenna, put it up, fiddle around with it, and be done?

For satellite dish installation, we went through a guy who came recommended by Cunniffe's - decent bloke (forgot his name), reasonable rate, saved our marriage...:D

while I'm here though - is there any way of getting TG4 via normal antenna or satellite? We can see the station from our house (pretty much), and still can't get the channel...any info appreciated.

But they won't have the RTE channels AFAIK, the OP would have to get a regular antenna regardless.

There are usually some installers in the Advertiser classifieds.

true - although I'd say if you got a free sat guy up there and asked him to throw up an aerial while he was at it he'd probably do you a good deal ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone got a set of rabbit ears for the OP?

galah wrote: »
    while I'm here though - is there any way of getting TG4 via normal antenna or satellite? We can see the station from our house (pretty much), and still can't get the channel...any info appreciated.
    You might have an old aerial - TG4 needs a UHF one.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

Even if you cancel sky, as long as they dont come and take the dish and box off you(say you're away travelling froa while and want to freze your package)

you will still be able to recieve bbc/itv/sky news/ch4/tv3 etc

Rte should be bloody free to view as well. Its not bloody right we pay our tv license and have to pay again for rte in sky package

so theres no point getting a free sat box, as for rte, how bad is the reception with the coat hanger trick?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

shaggykev wrote: »
    Even if you cancel sky, as long as they dont come and take the dish and box off you(say you're away travelling froa while and want to freze your package)
    You own the Sky dish and box.

Ask around on Tech -> Cable & Digital TV -> Terrestrial, there may be a chance you can receive RTE etc digitally in your area and there's some nice combo boxes out there that will allow you to run digital RTE off an aerial and pick up BBC/CH4 etc over your existing Sky dish all for the grand subscription cost of €0.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭purerandom

thanks for the info folks.
    ya i have bbc\itv\channel4\film4...all the free to air channels via my sky box minus the sky card.

now to get rte\tv3\tg4 i will have to erect an aerial.
    i will see if i can get my hands on some rabbit ears and test the signal first...doubt it will be good but i will try.

have seen some info on combo boxes but i still need an aerial for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

If you are looking to get digital RTE via Irish DTT / Saorview then you need a UHF aerial. There is no TV3 on the digital tests at the moment but should be there by the end of the year.

Try your aerial at ground level, second floor then attic. If that does not work you need a higher gain aerial. Try that in the attic and if no success move it outside. You might need an amplifier or booster to bump up the signal.

If you get decent TV3 or TG4 analogue from the appropriate transmitter then you have got a good chance of getting a strong enough signal for all of the Irish DTT stations.

Look at my web sit. http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/map :pac:

Advertisement