Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for the correct way to fly flags

• 07-07-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Flag etiquette...
    Maybe someone with diplomatic or military experience can help me.
    A large hotel in my town hoists three flags each day in front of the main entrance. A tricilour, an EU flag and the banner of their hotel group.
    All three flagpoles are the same height and are close to the entrance and look quite impressive.
    The question I am seeking an answer to is - What is the correct order to show three flags?
    I notice some days the Irish flag is in the centre with the EU flag to the left and the company banner to the right. Other days the EU flag is in the middle with the triciliur to the left.
    One day the company banner was in the middle.(I am sure that looks wrong)

What is the correct order for this country? Some US websites say start from the left with the national flag but this is not the US so I am looking for the accepted custom for THIS country.

My own idea is that the Irish flag should really be in the middle but I am open to correction.

Also the hotel hosts conventions for civic groups as well as sporting teams (GAA teams, visiting foreign tourist groups etc.) so there is often a need for a "guest" flag.

How should this be handled?

Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Biffo's office or more correctly The Department of the Taoiseach has a downloadable PDF and a Word document which details the protocols to be observed in relation to our national flag. BTW, our national flag must always be displayed in the "place of honour".

It'd be nice if the wavers of the "Skangers United Bar, Ballyferriter" versions of the flag seen at soccer matches would (or could) read it. :mad:

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Fl A tricilour, an EU flag and the banner of their hotel group.
    All three flagpoles are the same height and are close to the entrance and look quite impressive.
    With respect to the display, placing and precedence of the national flag by both itself and in relation to other flags, the Department has made a number of suggestions. No flag or pennant should be flown above the national flag. When the flag is carried with another flag, or flags, it should be carried in the place of honour — that is on the marching right, or on the left of an observer towards whom the flags are approaching. Where one of these flags is that of the European Union, the European Union flag should be carried on the immediate left of the national flag, or, as seen by an observer when the flags are approaching, on the immediate right of the national flag. In the event of a display of crossed staffs, the national flag should be to the right and to the fore — that is to the left of the observer who is facing the flag. Its staff should be in front of the other flag or flags.[50]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Yes it's essentially the same as the USA. The Irish flag on the left as you see it followed by the other in sequence and finally the company flag.

However, the reality is that quite often the flags are raised first thing in the morning by the lowest paid employee or the security guard on duty that morning. So it could a man from Nigeria, South Africa, Poland or God knows where. Every morning at a place I worked it would amuse to see which order they'd placed the flags at the gate. Never two the same. And as we in Ireland don't follow flag protocol as strictly as the do in the USA no knows any different or cares except the likes of me and you. But the only time I would object would be if the Irish flag was lower than another flag. That's a big no no. American multinationals often get it right by the way because of course being American they are more aware of flag protocol.

Incidentally if you want to see a difference in opinion in painting flags, check out photos of Ryanair and Aer Lingus aircraft. Aer Lingus, has green, white and orange, left to right as viewed on both sides of the aircraft. Ryanair has the orange to the rear on both sides as if flying into the wind. I believe Aer Lingus is correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

National flag goes on the far left, unless there is one flag pole higher than the others (usually in the middle) then the national flag goes on the higher pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Green facing forward on both sides of the aircraft is correct. The painted flag should always be depicted as if it is free-flying, so on an aircraft the edge closest to the flagstaff (don't recall the technical term) should always face forward. (Doesn't work if the a/c is reversing :P )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

concussion wrote: »
    Green facing forward on both sides of the aircraft is correct. The painted flag should always be depicted as if it is free-flying, so on an aircraft the edge closest to the flagstaff (don't recall the technical term) should always face forward. (Doesn't work if the a/c is reversing :P )

Correct.

Another example of same, is when US soldiers are on multi-national missions, they wear the US Flag on their right shoulder instead of its normal place on the left shoulder. The flag when worn on the right shoulder is reversed, i.e. stars to the top right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

From a Pole

:D

sorry, its been eating me all week that nobody else suggested this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Morphéus wrote: »
    From a Pole

Not a Czech then?

Sorry, I'll get my coat....:D

So the EU flag would get preference over the flag of a visiting premier?

If, for example, the EU turned up en masse, how would that work? is it Irish flag, EU flag and then alphabetical order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

From the link posted previously
    6(a) European Union Flags
    When the group of flags of the European Union are flown, the sequence is alphabetical, based on the first letter of the country’s name. The flags should be flown from left to right with the European Union flag flown from the first flagstaff before the group (Figure D). An alternative order of flags is to begin on the left with the National flag and place the European Union flag on the far right of the group, as seen by an observer (Figure E).
    Figure D Figure E
    6(b) International Flags
    Where either an even or an odd number of flags are flown in line on staffs of equal height, the National Flag should be first on the right of the line (i.e. on the observer’s left as he or she faces the flags). Where one of these flags is that of the European Union, the European Union flag should be flown on the immediate left of the National Flag, or as seen by an observer, on the immediate right of the National Flag. Where, however, an odd number of flags are displayed from staffs grouped so that there is one staff in the centre and higher than the others, the National Flag
    should be displayed from the staff so placed. Where one of these flags is that of the European Union, the European Union flag should be flown

Advertisement