Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking money out of pension

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

is it possible to take money out of your pension before retirement?

im far from retirement and the money in my pension is really doing nothing at the moment...id like to put some of it to use somewhere else...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I did this a few years ago with a pension scheme that I was finished with and had only a years worth of contributions in.

It was taxed at 20% or thereabouts IIRC

Edit: If you're talking about only withdrawing a proportion of it then I'm not sure what the story is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

If its a personal pension then you can only draw down on it from the age of 60 on (unless you retire due to ill health).

If you are in an occupational pension then you can take your contributions out if you leave the job within 2 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

You can't take money out,unless your only a year or so into it..............

Advertisement