Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Heritage Week, 21st to 29th Aug 2010

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.heritageweek.ie/

I like Heritage Week, because it's very economical, with free:D admission to a lot of places all over the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This one could be interesting

http://www.heritageweek.ie/en/HomeSearchDetails.aspx?EventID=4229

Event Search Results
    Exhibition - The North Strand Bombing Exhibition
    Date & Times
    21 August : 10:00 - 17:00

Admission: Free

Event Description: Based on the holdings of Dublin City Library & Archive, this exhibition commemorates the North Strand Bombing tragedy of 31st May 1941. Exhibition on display throughout the month of August during library opening hours. Monday to Saturday: 10.00am - 1.00pm and 2.00pm - 5.00pm.

Event Organiser/Organisation: Dublin City Public Libraries
    Venue: Charleville Mall Library
    North Strand, Dublin 1
    Dublin City

Access Details

Suitable for Children: No
    Wheelchair Access: Full
    Car parking Available: No

Any Other Details:

Event Category: Local History

Type:Indoors

Statement:This event is being organised specifically for National Heritage Week (if it wasn’t National Heritage Week it’s unlikely the event would take place)

Organiser Name: Charleville Mall Library, Dublin City Public Libraries

Contact Address: North Strand, Dublin 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Stickied until after the week's events, any info on it put in here please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chixiepixie

I know that this was set up for heritage week to find out how much people actually know.

I think it's being done by the company that's insuring all of the heritage sites, but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I know that this was set up for heritage week to find out how much people actually know.

I think it's being done by the company that's insuring all of the heritage sites, but I'm not sure.

Strange questions but I couldn't resist doing it anyway. By the way what's a Dolman (sic)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chixiepixie

I think they meant Dolmen (Not Dolman) which is a stone tomb of sorts. It's where stones are made to look like a house-of-cards. It's where a stone is balanced on top of two other stones. Kinda like this>>>> !"! I'll try find a picture.

Oh! Here's one!
    Ballykeel_Dolmen1.jpg

EDIT: Sorry the picture is a little large

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think they meant Dolmen (Not Dolman) which is a stone tomb of sorts. It's where stones are made to look like a house-of-cards. It's where a stone is balanced on top of two other stones. Kinda like this>>>> !"! I'll try find a picture.

Oh! Here's one!

EDIT: Sorry the picture is a little large

So are the stones! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah....I'm going to leave this thread up to advertise national heritage week, but I'm not open to allowing people to sign up and post links to surveys and other stuff. I'm giving chickiepixie the benefit of the doubt but if I see more stuff like this I'll just ban people for spam. Just so we're all clear. Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just got this from the "Save 16 Moore Street" Facebook group. Think i'll go along to this at some stage over the weekend.

"As part of Heritage week there will be free tours given by family members of those directly involved in Easter week 1916. This will be a very unique event. It will take you from the GPO and up through the surrounding laneways leading up to the historic area of Moore Street.

We urge all members of this group to contact local and National press and to call all radio stations asap (Newstalk, Joe Duffy, Today Fm, Phantom, FM104, SPIN Fm, Lyric, 4fm etc) to ask them to talk about this event on air. If you have a spare 5 minutes please give any (or all of them) a call and ask them to discuss this event.

HQ16: Battlefield Dublin

Date & Times
    28 August : Noon 3pm 6pm 9pm
    29 August : Noon 3pm 6pm 9pm
    Meeting point: GPO
    Admission: free
    Event Description: A walking tour through the GPO/ Moore Street battlefield of Easter Week 1916. Uniquely guided by descendants of those who took part

Event Organiser/Organisation: Patrick Cooney
    Venue: GPO: Dublin
    Moore Street
    Dublin City

Access Details

Suitable for Children: Yes
    Wheelchair Access: Full
    Car parking Available: Yes

Any Other Details: From the signing of the Proclamation in Henry Street, to Pearse's surrender on Parnell Street. Walk Irelands' revolution in one hundred steps

Event Category: Historic Buildings, Gardens & Parks

Type:Outdoors

Statement:This event is being organised specifically for National Heritage Week (if it wasn’t National Heritage Week it’s unlikely the event would take place)"

Advertisement