Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beautician recommendations

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:08pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭

One for the boards girls: can anyone recommend a good beautician in the city or it's outskirts? I'm not too bothered about location, and it doesn't necessarily need to be the cheapest, but my skin is all blocked and I badly need a facial (quit sniggering you fellas down the back :rolleyes:). The girl I used to go to has gone travelling and I haven't been living here long so don't know which salon(s) is the tried and trusted.

Many thanks in advance,

AC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Seventh heaven accross the way from the clarion on the ennis road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

my wife goes to some place up criuses street, dont know exactly where she disappears to, the young lad and i usually just head into GAME for a nose around while she goes off doin her thing, but munstergirl how far is that salon from the clarion? might suggest it to my wife to try it out... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Theres a spa in Belissimo, they do all types of facials.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey, you should check out http://www.mobilebeauty.ie/

Fiona Harris is the beautician (shameful advertising for my cousin :))

While I was looking for her site, I found a blog from a bride and her experiences:

my bm had arranged for Fiona from Mobile beauty to come out to the house to get a massage,pedicures,fake tan for the girls and manicures ,Fiona was there until around quarter to one that morning and she did such an amazing job at relaxing all of us and is such a nice woman aswell that we had a great night

http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=220080&start=0&sid=fe08e2d7ae80c752c7d4be3ede397ecd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

You will not get better service than in The Beauty Boutique in Killaloe, Main St.

They use Lycon Wax & Murad skincare products. The therapists there are fantastic and the owner is a perfectionist!

I am so picky about beauticians - this is the only place i will go. I love the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I find O' Sullivans in Corbally quite good. I've only ever had spray tan and waxing done there though, so not sure what they're like for facials etc.

Avoid Plush in either Castletroy or Dooradoyle. Up your bum staff who couldn't care less about what they're doing. I've had a couple of disastrous fake tans done there as well as bad waxes from one particular therapist (Can I name her? Begins with P) who is nosey and gossipy, would ask you what you had for your breakfast, but never concentrates on what she's doing :mad:

Had make up done in Visage a few times as well (Overhead Carl Scarpa) They were pretty good too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Cheers all! Much appreciated. Really like the sound of The Beauty Boutique, especially the fact that they use Murad products. My skin is very oily and I've found Murad to be a great help. It's something that causes me a lot of grief so really thankful for all the helpful suggestions.
    I was in a certain department store on O'Connell St. *coughBTcough* and one of the ever-so-helpful cosmetics assistants cheerfully announced that I shouldn't complain about having oily skin as I won't have any wrinkles when I get older. I was having a bit of a Princess Mental Syndromey day, normally I'd just scoff at her lack of tact, but that day I almost cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

There is also a spa in the Pery Square Hotel which looks lovely. I haven't tried it myself but if the hotel is anything to go by its fantastic!

http://www.oneperysquare.com/the_spa.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I was in a certain department store on O'Connell St. *coughBTcough* and one of the ever-so-helpful cosmetics assistants cheerfully announced that I shouldn't complain about having oily skin as I won't have any wrinkles when I get older.

On the bright side though I think it might be true. I'm 30 with oily skin and my friend is 31 with dry skin. Neither of us smoke or are sun worshippers, but she does seem to have quite a few lines and wrinkles while (fingers crossed) I don't seem to have any yet!
    My mother is 65 though and looks much younger, so I'm hoping it's heriditery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

The girl in BT was correct.
    Oily skin people have natural barrier to wrinkles! You should be delighted!
    Ok, its a little harder to control skin, but once you find correct products that suit you, youll be flying it!!!

I had the worst facial ever in 7th heaven ennis road. Therapist was 45mins late - than ran in and out of the room trying to do someone elses nails at the same time - and I paid e70. Distaster. Would not go back.

Bellissimo the girl wouldnt stop talking. I had to ask her to stop.

Plush are ok, but probably better out there.

I went to a woman out in deerpark, Bunratty (called fiona too-could she be fiona of the travelling beauty van?) and she was very good. e40 for elemis facial, head and shoulder massage. She even washed my feet. I keep meaning to rebook with her.

• Advertisement

I know she was correct, but I was in the middle of telling her how much I hate my open pores and the fact that I struggle to maintain a face of makeup for more than 5 hours, (I work on the road, often doing 10 hour days so not easy to touch it up properly, yet I'm expected to look polished and perfect at all times), but she casually dismissed my concerns. Normally I'd just laugh it off but as I said, I was having one of these days...

http://www.last.fm/music/Tommy+Tiernan/_/Princess+Mental+Syndrome

As for having no wrinkles, I'm going on 26 and have noticed a few teeny tiny ones. The one that really bothers me though is my frown line, although I know I'm not helping it by not wearing my reading glasses as much as I should :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Have combination skin myself, so I sorta know your plight.

A girl I work with swears by using a silk pillow for sorting wrinkles!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

Impressive site, but not what I'm after. Thanks anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If Im getting a facial or massage I like going to the Woodlands in Adare. You get use of their spa for free which has a gorge outside tub,turkish baths,tropical showers and foot scrub thingy. It feels like your on holiday for the day.Its always quite out there and so peaceful.
    http://www.woodlands-hotel.ie/revas-spa.html

I havent been too impressed with Bellissimo or Plush when in there. In Bellisimo the girls hands stank of cigarttes when she was giving me a facial which was really off putting. In plush I've got my eyebrows/eyelashes and a tan done and they didnt come out great.

I've heared very good things about Seventh Heaven from girls at work so I must give that a go.

I really like O'Sullivans pharmacy beauty salons though to get my eyelashes tinted etc. They always get it right.

Advertisement