Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot v Citreon

• 07-07-2010 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Which is the better buy? a 407 or c5 ? I know both have 1.6 hdi engines but is reliability the same in each ? and how do they fair against a renualt laguna?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

New/old/mileages/use?

C5 and 407 are essentially the same car so couldn't imagine a big difference in reliability. Laguna is hit and miss on the old model, new model is supposedly much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Can I be the first to say... Skoda Superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭2010 G

Looking for a 1.6 hdi. 05 or 06 for low tax so superb is out of the question. Does anyone know what mpg I would be expectin in mixed driving. and what are the service intervala? and how can you tell if a clutch or fly wheel is going ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

An 05-06 Laguna diesel would be 1.9 so it would be a bit higher tax wise. ( the psa unit will be €445 or €471 depending on cc and the laguna will be €582 or €614. I'd have to check exact cc's for them)
    It was facelifted and quite good reliability wise from 05.
    If the c5 concerned has hydropneumatic suspension then that's the one to go for. If not then it's a straight choice looks wis between it and the 407 seeing as they are essentially the same car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

See if you can find the Top gear review of the C5. If my memory is correct they reviewed it on the show and they were singing its praises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

kingbrumak wrote: »
    See if you can find the Top gear review of the C5. If my memory is correct they reviewed it on the show and they were singing its praises.

I think you are referring to the C6

2010 G wrote: »
    Looking for a 1.6 hdi. 05 or 06 for low tax so superb is out of the question. Does anyone know what mpg I would be expectin in mixed driving. and what are the service intervala? and how can you tell if a clutch or fly wheel is going ?

Just as a comparison... I have a Berlingo 1.6Hdi Car.

I get 55+mpg as an average... over 65mpg if I can keep to 50mph!
    Service interval on my 06 car is 12,000 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I think you are referring to the C6

Just checked it out and it was the C6. My mistake! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

si_guru wrote: »
    Can I be the first to say... Skoda Superb

should be called skoda smug.

ie, what a ridiculous name

mcwhirter wrote: »
    ie, what a ridiculous name

Not really as it harks back to the historical Superb which was a very good car for the company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

C5, much better suspension giving a much smoother ride - I am talking of the hydro pneumatic suspension of course.

I had a C5 for years and a mate of mine a 407.
    Otherwise the differences are negligible performance wise, we both had a 2.0 petrol though.

1.6 HDi is a bit small for this size of car in my opinion.

I have always found the C5 to be far bigger inside than the 407 especially in the rear.

The 1.6HDI is a nice engine for normal driving. It won't break any land speed records but if cheap motoring is your thing you won't go too far wrong. I always felt it was very similar to a 1.6 Avensis or similar in its everyday performance.

Of the C5 in particular check the condition of the rear brake as changing the rotors is a pig of job. The Caliper needs to come off and invariably the long bolts are siezed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

ive a c5 ,its a lovely drive,only 1.6 hdi,but theres plenty of power to overtake when needed.its got a massive boot.,coil springs,drives like your on a carpet,a tank will take you 1200kms.mine is 2008 and band c,but i think the 2010 model is band b.,and the dash is beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bigar wrote: »
    C5, much better suspension giving a much smoother ride - I am talking of the hydro pneumatic suspension of course.

The Hydractive suspension is on the current C5 is only available on the higher spec Exclusive model. The VTR and VTR+ have the usual spring & damper suspension set up.

Personally, having driven the C5, I'd prefer it over the 407. Better design and a lot more modern looking.

Advertisement