Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in the city centre for lunch?

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

Farmgate would probably get my vote but, that and fastfood joints aside, anyone out there got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I quite like Puccino's down on Paul Street across from the Tescos for a nice wrap or ciabatta. Market Lane on Olly Plunket does a great lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

A bit out of the centre, but Cafe Paradiso do great vegetarian food. Otherwise the Quay Coop, cheap and delicious quiches, tarts, bakes, salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

The café in the Crawford Gallery. It's not just tea and buns -it's more of a lunchtime bistro. Emphasis on fresh/seasonal. Their menu changes all the time. Have had things like roast leg of lamb in there. Very nice. Reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I had lunch in the Old Oak last week and was pretty happy with it - load of room and no mad que.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

amicus is nice just off st pauls street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I like Scotts, esp on a sunny day if you get a seat outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

FTGFOP wrote: »
    The café in the Crawford Gallery. It's not just tea and buns -it's more of a lunchtime bistro. Emphasis on fresh/seasonal. Their menu changes all the time. Have had things like roast leg of lamb in there. Very nice. Reasonable prices.

I agree. I have had some lovely lunches there. The staff are nice and friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Idaho's at the back of BTs is my favourite for a long time. Small, expensive and limited menu but the food is class and the staff can't do enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Nosh and coffee, just walk down the street opposite tesco in paul street, it will be on your left :) I love the Paninis there and the hot chocolate with marshmallows are gorgeous! Paninis come with nachos and and a bit of salad too, very nice stuff and good value for money. Nice comfy couches too if they aren't already taken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I settled for a sausage in a bun today from the Gourmet Sausage place in the English Market as I needed something on-the-go but there are a lot of nice sounding suggestions here. Go raibh maith agaibh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Those guys (O'Flynn's sausages) have a shop on Winthrop St. now. Don't know if it's sit down or not, haven't been in yet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Nash 19, Absolutly savage!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Kelly's Restaurant, right next to the Grafton, do class lunches. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

Scoozi's

Larkin91 wrote: »

That's been there for years, right? Always wonder what it's like whenever I pass by and look up those stairs. Had presumed I'd be disappointed by the anticlimax of the moment so never went up to check it out. Might do now though.

I could make a fortnight of it and check out all of the recommendations here. I could turn in to quite a fatty if this thread gained some popularity. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Those guys (O'Flynn's sausages) have a shop on Winthrop St. now. Don't know if it's sit down or not, haven't been in yet myself.

went in there the other day. had a sausage and a drink for €5. quite good i thought. had the beef and coriander sausage ( not to be recommended !! ) thought the staff were very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

went in there the other day. had a sausage and a drink for €5. quite good i thought. had the beef and coriander sausage ( not to be recommended !! ) thought the staff were very nice.
    At any of the markets or outdoor events you always see huge queues at O'Flynn's hot dog stand dwarfing everybody else. I love the Cork Boi variety which has Murphys in it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It's great to see local places like O'Flynns doing well. Had a Mediterranean sausage in a roll the other day.
    I lie Amicus & Cafe Bar Deli for a more substantial lunch, recently I have ventured in on a Saurday into Instanul for the Grilled Chicken Kebab & it is quite tasty, not anything like the muck Abrakebabra serve up.

Brackens if Paul St & The Long Valley are nice for a sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Fenns Quay is nyom (top of the Mardyke, shortly before the turn for the courthouse).

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Of those mentioned I definitely agree with Farmgate, Flynn's, Nash 19 and Cafe Paradiso. I've heard that the cafe in Crawford is great from people that I think are pretty reliable but haven't tried it myself yet.

Cafe Gusto on Washington Street does very good sandwiches and their coffee is very good too. Good sandwiches next door in the Holy Grain too but the coffee isn't great and it's not as comfortable.

Liberty Grill also on Washington Street do very good burgers, salads and breakfast dishes (like a mean eggs benedict) all day. It gets busy during lunch though.

An Crúibín, on the corner of Union Quay and Angelsea Street (where the Lobby was) do fantastic food during the day. Mostly soups and some "sandwiches" which are huge. Very seasonal, apparently the owner is Spanish and the food is mostly Catalonian. The clientèle is an odd mix of hippie types and suited wealthy folk.

Star Anise on Bridge Street is very good too, Mediterranean dishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fairchild

you are taking the piss, aren't you- if there is such a thing as a tad mouldy place :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I work in town and am constantly on the look-out for nice lunches for less than €10. Preferably not just sandwiches. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

fairchild wrote: »
    you are taking the piss, aren't you- if there is such a thing as a tad mouldy place :(

I don't worry about where I am when having lunch, so long as the food is good.

The place could do with a refurbishment, but the food is great and the staff are friendly.

Faith wrote: »
    I work in town and am constantly on the look-out for nice lunches for less than €10. Preferably not just sandwiches. Any suggestions?

toni's bistro on north end str. is pretty solid & quick- all meals under 10

I don't worry about where I am when having lunch, so long as the food is good.

The place could do with a refurbishment, but the food is great and the staff are friendly.

you are right, they are very friendly & the breakfast okish, but the state of the room just depresses me

Zak's in Marlboro street do a lunch special thing as well as their lunch menu, I think it's a tenner including a mineral, they are dinner type dishes though (you wouldn't eat a dinner in the evening after one unless you wanted to be a fatty ;) ). Didn't pay much attention to it but the special lunch menu is on a board just by the till, might be worth a look someday you feel quite hungry.

I'd love to work in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Are you serious? I think of that place as nursing home food.
    fairchild wrote: »

Hopefully.

There's a new Chinese buffet place on North Main Street, opposite side of street to Tony's Bistro. It's all tou can eat for €9.95. I've only been oncde but I'm recommending it.

Rossinis are open for lunch too, approx €10 for a nice Italian meal.

Man, I've put on a stone since starting this thread, like.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Try the rob roy just off Oliver plunkett street towards the south mall on Cook Street. Not just sandwiches, really nice staff and most things under a tenner, that I get anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement