Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Burgess gets regular slot discussing Property on Pat Kenny show

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Brendan Burgess on Pat Kenny show all week and weekly thereafter advising listeners on property and dealing with debt.

The utter hypocrisy of the man. I was one of those he banned from Askaboutmoney in 2006 for arguing that there was an unsustainable property bubble and bank lending practices should be regulated

He is now making money from advising those that are in difficulties partly because of his banning of discussion of property prices and his advocacy of 100% mortgages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I got banned from that site, it was almost a point of honour to get banned due to that mega thread

Most moved over the propertypin, I don't realy visit it but it's an alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

and now the tax payer gets the privilege of paying to have him sprout his nonsense on our national radio :eek: do we expect any less :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

MRBEAVER wrote: »
    Brendan Burgess on Pat Kenny show all week and weekly thereafter advising listeners on property and dealing with debt.

I greet this news in the same way that Tom Lehrer greeted Kissinger winning the Nobel Peace Price: SATIRE IS DEAD.

I'm wondering what kind of advice will he give people. Perhaps to fill their shoes with the shares of well-regulated and sound banks?

Or perhaps you should buy a house even if your job is a bit uncertain?

I'm looking forward to this; hopefully it features guest spots by other experts such as Liz O'Kane, Seanie Fitzpatrick and former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern.

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is just wrong.

We should compile a list of his 'advice' over the years and make a complaint to the Broadcasting Commission on account of bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

Burgess`s slot could be to talk up the economy for Fianna Fail when the world and its Mother know differently.

• Advertisement

The address for the Pat Kenny show is todaypk@rte.ie.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

snubbleste wrote: »
    This is just wrong.

We should compile a list of his 'advice' over the years and make a complaint to the Broadcasting Commission on account of bias.

yes yes it is

what a joker
    Sunday Times Money section, 31 July 2005:

"The lenders who have come up with the 100% [mortgage] have balanced the risk
    . Of 100 people that take out these mortgages, maybe 95 will be okay and five will get in serious trouble and the banks can take care of that trouble."

AskAboutMoney.com post, 8 Nov 2006:

"You can find extensive, informed, articulate, balanced and entertaining commentary on the impending collapse of the Irish property market [at thepropertypin.com]."

AskAboutMoney.com post, 9 Nov 2006:

Further speculation about the future direction of house prices is banned on Askaboutmone
    y.

Irish Independent, 18 August 2007:

I would invest in AIB or Bank of Ireland rather than putting money on deposit with them

RTE News, 16 September 2008:

"Irish banks are very well regulated, Irish banks are very sound
    ..... [...] we're going to look back in a few years at the state of Irish banks [and ask] how did we not fill our shoes with those shares?"

AskAboutMoney thread, January 2009:

Pat Neary distinguished himself as the Prudential Director of the Financial Regulator before he was appointed. Had I been on the interview panel, I would certainly have chosen him ahead of a 27 year old recent PhD graduate.

The academic qualifications of someone at a very senior level are of little relevance.

[...]

Sorry, I pay no attention whatsoever to Morgan Kelly who suggested burning the €1.5 billion instead of putting it into Anglo.

AskAboutMoney post, 14 January 2009:

More sensational stuff from Morgan Kelly in yesterday's Irish Times:

[...]

Apparently we are going to be demolishing houses now instead of building them.

But I suppose it gets headlines."

CMcK: *cough*: BusinessWeek - Ireland’s Bad Bank May Demolish Homes, McDonagh Says

"Ireland’s National Asset Management Agency may knock down some vacant homes built during the country’s real-estate boom, the head of the agency said."

Sunday Times Money, 8 Mar 2009:

If you’ve a real need to buy now – for example, if you are starting a family – don’t allow the fact that your job is a bit uncertain to put you off. If the worst happens, the government has ordered AIB and Bank of Ireland to lay off homeowners in arrears for at least a year
    , while other lenders must give them a six-month breather.

AskAboutMoney.com post, 3 June 2009:

I still believe, that as a general rule, it is a good idea to buy your own home. With the benefit of hindsight, this would not have been a good idea over the past 5 years.

[..] I have made it very clear that, with hindsight, it would have made much more sense over the past few years to rent rather than buy.

AskAboutMoney.com post, 11 Oct 2009:

"People ask now why did we not listen to the economists who warned of the housing bubble and the economic crash? [...]. Their warnings were dressed up in such stupid, sensationalist language, that it would have been like taking the economic forecasts of the Sunday World seriously."

AskAboutMoney.com post, 22 Dec 2009:

The paperwork for money laundering is hugely inappropriate. Under the law, Charlie McCreevy would have had to provide a passport and two utility bills. Everyone in the Irish Nationwide knew him. I would have no problem with them not complying with this law.

OK, own up - who was "canny" who posted that list (including formatting) to this thread on AAM?

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=139814

As expected, the posting was deleted and I presume they were banned. Freedom of speech, AAM style.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

they had a link to the show on thepropertypin today, i nearly broke my monitor listening to the ****e :mad:

somone contact pat and tell him to get that hypocrite of the air
    It's hilarious really - Brendan has a very movable definition of what a contract is.

Tracker mortgage - banks must be flexible - contracts are renegotiable on the fly.
    Tracker mortgage - people are entitled to keep them - contracts are sacrosanct.
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?p=405911#p405911

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I just posted the same thing on the same thread - see how long it (and I ) last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Banned in 14 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Burgess closing that AAM property thread is all the evidence you need that he considered the possibility of a property crash to be so off-the-wall, so utterly fanciful that it was not even worthy of debating. He could not have closed that thread if he thought even for a moment that a crash was a possibility. It clearly wasn't even on his radar. To mix my metaphors, closing it was the action of a man swatting a fly in annoyance - "bah, not this nonsense again!". Like it was nowt but a crazed conspiracy theory.

When it came to having the critical insight at the critical moment, Brendan Burgess utterly, utterly botched it. And God knows enough amateurs could see what was happening, so for an alleged finance professional to have missed it must be embarrassing. No wonder he's in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is Burgess not a moderator on Boards as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

oceanclub wrote: »
    I greet this news in the same way that Tom Lehrer greeted Kissinger winning the Nobel Peace Price: SATIRE IS DEAD.

I'm wondering what kind of advice will he give people. Perhaps to fill their shoes with the shares of well-regulated and sound banks?

Or perhaps you should buy a house even if your job is a bit uncertain?

I'm looking forward to this; hopefully it features guest spots by other experts such as Liz O'Kane, Seanie Fitzpatrick and former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern.

P.

Upcoming guest slots will include:
    "Golfing tips" with seanie fitzpatrick
    "Regulation" with jack neddy o'keefe and patrick neary.
    "Moving overseas" with david drumm and derek quinlan.
    "Spotting property bargains" with bernie mcnamara.
    "Ethics in politics" with willie o'dea & frank fahey
    MRBEAVER wrote: »

The utter hypocrisy of the man. I was one of those he banned from Askaboutmoney in 2006 for arguing that there was an unsustainable property bubble and bank lending practices should be regulated

He is now making money from advising those that are in difficulties partly because of his banning of discussion of property prices and his advocacy of 100% mortgages.

If you just looked at AAM and the Property & Investment section one would have believed that there was no such thing as a bubble. :rolleyes:
    Unbelievable that one could not discuss property over valuation in a forum on Property investment.
    Then he outdid himself with his banking pronouncements.

Nah I don't think there is any moderator called Ars*hole. ;)

Can people phone up to speak to him ?
    Would be interesting if someone phoned up and asked why he advised them to buy even though there job was a bit shaky.

I am not allowed discuss …

I believe he may be - don't laugh - a moderator of the Irish Skeptics forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=422

There's a hilarious thread on AAM where Burgess recounted going to a talk given by David McWilliams after the bubble burst in order to complain to him:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=958583#post958583

Brendan claims to be a skeptic, and yet completely followed the herd mentality when it came to the property bubble, and refused to listen to arguments from McWilliams and Morgan Kelly until after they were proven right.

Indeed, based on this post, he's not even aware of the what the definition of "skeptic" actually is:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1008430&postcount=25

Originally Posted by Brendan
    A skeptic knows the limits of their knowledge. As I pointed out on many occasions, I am one of the few people who does not and did not claim to be able to predict house property prices. Most people think they know, when they don't.

As far as I'm aware, that's not the definition of a skeptic - that's the definition of an indeterminist.

A skeptic is one who doubts accepted beliefs. The "accepted belief" in the past decade in Ireland was that property prices were based on sound principles, would continue to increase, and then would have a soft landing. People like David McWilliams and Morgan Kelly were skeptical of this belief. Yet I've noted that these are the people you seem to reserve the most ire for. It's a circle I find hard to square.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HavinALaugh

That is absolutely hilarious. You could fit what Burgess knows about property on the back of a postage stamp. He's a self-important clown that thinks everybody should agree with his opinions, even when they're uninformed.

In other words, he'll suit the Pat Kenny Show down to the ground. It's all about style, not about substance. Although Burgess doesn't have a scrap of style either - he's actually a terrible interviewee.

Have you ever looked at his posts on his own property forum? There are hardly any, because he knows nothing about it. Most of them are to do with his dictatorial running of the site. He bans anyone that disagrees with any opinions he does express, even though they are generally based on nothing but what the latest darling of the media economist has spouted in the past few months.

Anyone taking advice from that twit deserves everything they get.

Burgess was asked by Kenny this morning to responds to the criticisms of him sent to the show:

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Burgess was asked by Kenny this morning to responds to the criticisms of him sent to the show:

P.
    Jeeze by the sounds of it everyone that posted on property bubble bursting on his website must be foul mouthed slandering scumbags. :rolleyes:

He was economical with his answers, that all I could say about his economic ability.

I am actually surprised that Kenny even raised this, although then again maybe he gave ould brendan a heads up so he had his stock answers prepared.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

What a complete prick, he didn't ban house price speculation/debate, he banned anyone who said property prices will fall, any comments on prices levelling out, prices rising were welcomed.

I never noticed this before, but: go to Google and search for "dontaskabouthouseprices.com".

Arf.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Burgess' style is sitting on the fence. He and his acolytes remove anyone who dares to question. "Brendan's house is at risk" is the mantra trotted out by himself and his bunch of social misfits. The amount of Banned posters is staggering. And it's the only forum that I know where an Administrator (Clubman) is silenced. Mention of his name in posts gets a stern ticking off. The Kerryman ajapale is a particularly virulent bit of work. His joining up on New Year's Eve 2004 shows just how socially disaffected he is. But Brendan's pomposity, dressed in reverse psychology, is almost as bad as Eddie Hobbs. It would be nice if, for once, they admitted giving what turned out to be bad advice. And Brendan, you won't lose your house by being truthful.
    As is proven by his tipping, he is lucky to have a house at all. The fact that he does, means he doesn't take his own advice. And it's a tribute to Hobbs that he isn't like the bearded geezer in the GoCompare ad sitting somewhat confused on a beach somewhere off the coast of Senegal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yikes! He sounds like a nasty piece of work. I shall be steering clear of AAM from now on.

Spread wrote: »
    The amount of Banned posters is staggering.

For anyone who knows a bit about site-scraping, it would be an interesting exercise to see what proportion of askaboutmoney users have been banned.
    And it's the only forum that I know where an Administrator (Clubman) is silenced. Mention of his name in posts gets a stern ticking off.

Really? What's the story there? It's funny how many negative mentions he alone gets from people when you Google.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I had a big long post written... I guess the point was that Burgess is a smug twat. Havin seen him perform in Nesbitt's one nite, it would be a fairly solid opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

For anyone who knows a bit about site-scraping, it would be an interesting exercise to see what proportion of askaboutmoney users have been banned.

I like the idea of doing a survey. A kind of Brendanish. Except, if we don't like the result, we will not not publish it! (not a typo)
    He excelled himself on Wednesday by moving a topic that got 48 posts to The Depts, so the OP could no longer take part. A few longtime readers submitted their dislike. Prepare for more on the route to Coventry. Then the post was locked.

Really? What's the story there? It's funny how many negative mentions he alone gets from people when you Google.
    And any discussion of his whereabouts brings a stern warning. With Clubman, you either loved him or loathed him. But to be hung out to dry in Limbo was not the right answer. Most AAM mods are the Taliban of all forums. There are exceptions but why the good ones continue monitoring what is a vanity project for the leader and a control fix for the lessers is beyond me. Viva la Evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SimeonAAM

I was reading the opening page on a topic in the Depts when I counted over 25% of the posters BANNED. Apart from losing readership, this kind of zealotry is not in the best interest of any forum. I'd say that some of the more rigid moderators are lonely people who need to have a bit more face to face social intercourse. And the other :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HavinALaugh

What's a great bit of craic is signing up for an account on AAM and then flagging all manner of posts as being against the Mods rules. They've got so many of them at this time that they can hardly tell what they are themselves. Puts them into an awful flap.

In overseas property in particular, virtually everything is banned, so you can flag with abandon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SimeonAAM

Hey HavingALaugh, how's it goin'. Been given the high jump also? Have not been on AAM for ages and as someone was talking about the % of people banned, I did a quick one/two on the page I was reading. Seemingly, if you have a mind of your own then you have to tread carefully. It seems like the forum's raison d'etre is to punish members for thinking outside the box. This is reminiscent of the moustacheod reverand mother in a convent, berating all and sundry until complete subservience is achieved. Then the inevitable implosion into beordom. Is there a link to ex AAM members?

Although trolling (not puns) is the lowest form of wit, I did once try an experiment on AAM. I created a character and proceeded to spout the most inane bullish nonsense that I could, giving out about negativity, saying that David McWilliams should be arrested for treason, that the policy of banning pessimistic talk was correct, writing articles supporting Brendan that "no-one could have seen it coming". Never got banned and indeed at one point a moderator asked me to write up a balance "summary" for the forum.... Even I spouted enough rubbish that even the regulars there copped on. When I slipped out of character and then used the same account to post normally, guess what? I got banned.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

To be fair, he's joining a bunch of hypocrites in the general media.They've done a 180degree turn - gone from "replacing your kitchen and bathrooms before you put your house up for sale will net you WAY more money", to "if you're tired of your house, a lick of paint does amazing things" by way of "how to manage your debt". All brought to you by the same people who coined the phrases "first time buyers" and "property ladder" and "investment properties", while propping up their weekly property supplements with ads paid for by major estate agents and builders.

I'm not cynical (;)) The guy's in good company though, all in all!!:rolleyes:

Advertisement