Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer Query

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

I have a Mountfield Strimmer which came with a brush cutter head as well as a strimmer cord head. Any ideas how to take one off and put the other on. The shop I bought it from a few years back is closed so can't ask there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

usually the nut on the bottom has a left hand thread.
    there should be some way of locking the shaft with a bar or spanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

As mentioned , they are left hand thread....could save hours of sweat, that bit of advice.

Check all the bits are there, I took mine to a repair shop the other day and found the last time I put a new head on I left a bit out (only a small washer but never the less) All the metal was worn away and I was lucky I had the head left....There is usually a hole on the head where you can push a narrow screwdriver to lock the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Thanks - the last time I tried to unlock the nut I did me back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Back again! Had a look at the stimmer over the weekend - the nut is actually sunk into a hexagonal metal head so that it's inaccessible (see attached) - I tried to find a way of popping the nut up but no joy. Any more suggestions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

there must be a tool that came with the strimmer that will fit into the recess, like a large allen key.

(have you done a search for the model number to get the instructions?)

Is there a lock nut on the other side of the head?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

Hi

I've not seen one like that before. The tips about getting the instruction manual might be just the ticket. The cover of the bolt looks like it will turn everything at once. Have you tried to secure the head from behind the top of strimmer head and then turning the whole head anticlockwise to see if that frees the bolt from the top? The bolt cover does seem to need some sort of made to measure tool to secure it...not really made much sense there....

Worth a look though never the less.

Advertisement