Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something to do with non peachy peaches?

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I bought a punnet of peaches that have turned out very disappointing. Granted, I'm used to BIG juicy Ontario peaches, but these have barely any peachy taste to them at all, even though they're nice and ripe now.

Anyone got a good recipe to do them in that'll bring out the flavour a bit? I don't think I can stand to eat another one of these tasteless wonders on its own again.

(They're probably not terrible, I'm just a peach snob)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cobbler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

haven't the foggiest if this will bring out the peachiness in your peaches, but this recipe is a divine way to use up peaches.
    http://idlenotions.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/peach-and-raspberry-slice/
    I've made it with both fresh/tinned peaches and fresh/frozen raspberries, and no matter what I do, its still gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

oooh, that peach + raspberry slice sounds wonderful

Thaed, I'd make cobbler but I'd know what it was supposed to taste like with proper peaches so I'd just be pissed off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Xiney wrote: »
    I bought a punnet of peaches that have turned out very disappointing.

I have given up buying fruit in punnets, while it seems to be better value the fruit always seems to be inferior to the loose fruit that I can hand pick in my local greengrocers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just don't buy them out of season. even though the look/feel ripe, they probably got that way on the boat/plane from israel.

Our peach season is mid-late august, get them then and they will be local-ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Seaneh wrote: »
    Our peach season is mid-late august, get them then and they will be local-ish.

AFAIK - Spanish or French are as local as you'll get for peaches, the Spanish fruit has been stocked for a good few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Poach the peaches in poaching syrup (2:1 sugar:water), covered with a circle of baking paper, for 15-20 mins or until soft and easily pierced with a small knife. Peel them, then quarter.
    Layer in a glass with vanilla ice-cream, raspberry sauce, and top with whipped cream and toasted flaked almonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

Something I've ade a good few times with peaches is this: Roasted Peaches with an Orange Caramel Sauce: It's very handy if you have rock-hard peaches but can be used with any peaches.

For the sauce you need about 150g castor sugar. Place in a saucepan, add 3 tbsp water and heat until the sugar dissolves. Then turn up the heat and cook for about 5 minutes until it becomes a light caramel colour. Then you add about 250ml of freshly squeezed orange juice. If you want to add extra flavour, you can add a vanilla pod.

Then you brush the peaches with softened unsalted butter, then roll them in castor sugar.

Place the peaches in an ovenproof bowl, pour over the caramel sauce. Cover the bowl with tin-foil and bake in an oven (180c) for about 40 minutes. You will need to check the peaches occassionally to see if they are cooked enough - some rock-hard peaches need longer to cook. Poke with a skewer or tip of a knife to taste.
    Once cooked take it out of the oven and let it coo down. Before serving, you can peel off the peach skin (should peel off no problem if cooked enough). Then serve with vanilla ice-cream with some of the sauce poured over. The sauce keeps for ages in the fridge and is very nice on its own with ice-cream as it's now flavoured with orange and peaches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Klove

Splash them with a little balsamic vinegar and grill or roast them and eat with ice cream. The vinegar really draws the flavour out, especially if they're kind of watery.

Advertisement