Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House railings

Options
  • 07-07-2010 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

[not sure if this belongs here, move me if necessary]

I live in a house that has its original railings outside the front of the house. The railings are now just over 100 years old and I would like to get them repaired or replaced. The originals are pretty and would rather keep them. I have received a quote from a local company for replacement totalling just over 1400 euro. The repair cost is apparently twice this sum.

Does anyone here have advice for me? Has anyone else done similar restoration work on their house's railings? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I see you're in Dublin 9, have you checked out this guy in Ardmore/Montrose?

http://www.build.ie/company_490229.htm

He did some work on my family home before and we were very happy. I couldn't tell you prices thought because I was younger and still living at home and it was my parents paying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I used Gerry Patje at Annesley Bridge for a similar job.
    I'm in the North Strand and the railings are from 1881. He did an excellent job, keeping as much of the originals as he could. The job was also completed really quickly and it was much less than I expected to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Thank you for these suggestions. I have done some phoning around and neither of these numbers are being used. Thanks all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Some old railings have preservation orders. The councils sometimes have grants for people who have difficulty paying for preservation of listed properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Some old railings have preservation orders. The councils sometimes have grants for people who have difficulty paying for preservation of listed properties.

Thanks, that is very useful to know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement