Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Servicing.

• 07-07-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for some advice about my bike. I got it about 7 years ago and used it for a couple of months. Unfortunately it was put back into the shed and haven't used it very much at all since then. I took it out again over the w/end. It looked in failrly good nick but the back wheel couldn't be pumped up at all.
    So do i just need to get a new valve or would i need a full service because it hasn't been used in so long?
    Also, any recommendations on where i could take the bike for repair.
    How much would a service set me back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Monkey09 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for some advice about my bike. I got it about 7 years ago and used it for a couple of months. Unfortunately it was put back into the shed and haven't used it very much at all since then. I took it out again over the w/end. It looked in failrly good nick but the back wheel couldn't be pumped up at all.
    So do i just need to get a new valve or would i need a full service because it hasn't been used in so long?
    Also, any recommendations on where i could take the bike for repair.
    How much would a service set me back?

After such a long time in the shed it would definately need a service. you could also ask the bike shop to check the saddle height/ handle bar position to make sure your posture is correct.

It could be about 50 euros upwards, but a good shop should have a set price for a basic service and a listed price for specific repairs.

Where are you based? if you are in dublin you could use 2 wheels in Sandynount where I got my bike serviced a while ago. they are very well priced and offer good friendly advice.

i have no connection with this company btw.

as far as cost is concerned, i think a good shop should have a set price for a basic service and a list of specific costs for specific repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 la calera

See below - to be found in the cycling adverts section. Super reviews from boards members. Very reasonable and will talk you through the work.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=126255

Hi All,

If you are looking to have your bike serviced to a top standard, while you wait send me a PM, I am a highly experienced cycle mechanic. Most shops these days do not give your bike the quality of service it deserves, some dont accept repairs if you have not bought the bike from them, and they all charge an extravagant rate for what they do.

So you can call to my workshop, or I offer a mobile service, you can buy your own parts and have them fitted while you wait or I can supply the required components for the job.

I also offer cycle repair lessons covering the basics all the way to repairing buckled wheels, maintaining bottom brackets, headsets etc.

Rates are very reasonable, PM for more details.

Some feedback from Boards / Adverts Customers:
    Called out to Mr Skeffington for bike maintenance lesson last night. Would highly recommend it for beginners and more experienced bike enthusiasts.
    After only 2 hrs or so, I am confident I can service my own bike (better than most bike shops) and save myself a few quid on any problems that might arise in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1 on Mr Skeffington, he will take you through it so you learn from it too and can do more of the maintenance yourself in future.

If the back wheel can't be pumped you may need a new tube but these are not expensive, €2-7 depending where you get it. €10-15 including the labour to replace if you don't want to do it yourself.

Advertisement