Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox live set up on Vodafone home broadband

• 07-07-2010 1:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I presume there's some rigamarole to set this up.

Can anyone that's on xbox live with their home broadband vodafone connection perhaps guide me through the process.

Cheers.

Have the vodafone router set up and all and am on internet but can't get on xbox live.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Is this the first time you are connecting to live or have you changed ISP and are looking to connect now using Vodafone? Different answer to your question depending on which of the above it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Axwell wrote: »
    Is this the first time you are connecting to live or have you changed ISP and are looking to connect now using Vodafone? Different answer to your question depending on which of the above it is.

Apologies for not clarifying that.:o

From eircom where it was fine to vodafone where it won't connect.

Cheers for taking the time to reply any help is greatly appreciated.

More than likely you have setup an ip in the settings on the xbox previously for the xbox which doesnt apply anymore along with PPOE settings used by Eircom. You will need to go in and edit those. They are under the network settings on the System slide when you bring up the menu on the xbox.

Try setting everything to automatic first and then run a network test, if it connects keep an eye out and see what it says about your NAT settings. If it says nothing then its fine, if it says Moderate or Strict then you need to change further settings to open that otherwise you might have issues connecting to some games and using chat.

Try setting the IP etc back to automatic first and then let me know how you get on and ill try help you further if needs be.

More than likely you have setup an ip in the settings on the xbox previously for the xbox which doesnt apply anymore along with PPOE settings used by Eircom. You will need to go in and edit those. They are under the network settings on the System slide when you bring up the menu on the xbox.

Try setting everything to automatic first and then run a network test, if it connects keep an eye out and see what it says about your NAT settings. If it says nothing then its fine, if it says Moderate or Strict then you need to change further settings to open that otherwise you might have issues connecting to some games and using chat.

Try setting the IP etc back to automatic first and then let me know how you get on and ill try help you further if needs be.

Cheers. What are the ppoe setting for vodafone if you don't mind me asking? Are they the same as the one i use to log into the router configuration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

celtic723 wrote: »
    Cheers. What are the ppoe setting for vodafone if you don't mind me asking? Are they the same as the one i use to log into the router configuration?

You should not need to enter that on the xbox, just set everything to auto and run the test it should pick up the connection then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

User Name: vodafone@vodafone.ie
    Password: broadband
    Encapsulation: PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)

Multiplexing: LLC-based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    MTU: use default router setting, otherwise use 1492
    DNS: set to automatically assigned
    If there is a need to be specified use the following
    Preferred DNS: 89.19.64.36
    Alternate DNS: 89.19.64.164

cheers guys i'll give this a bash in a few minutes. It's doing my nut in.

I've done the test automatically and it fails the first test where it can't connect to the network.

I've then tried to key in the dns and stuff manually and it still fails.

I've put the ppoe username and pass in and still to no avail.

wtf?

It doesn't work with the xbox adapter nor with an ethernet cable.

Obvious question but your Live account is still up to date and hasnt expired?

Everything set to default should connect. You need to make sure to remove the old PPOE settings that were there for Eircom so that everythings back to the default as if you never set it up and put everything on Auto.

Obvious question but your Live account is still up to date and hasnt expired?

Everything set to default should connect. You need to make sure to remove the old PPOE settings that were there for Eircom so that everythings back to the default as if you never set it up and put everything on Auto.

I'm certain it's not out of date. Runs out next month.

Everything set to default didn't work.

I restored ppoe to default and put the ip and all that on auto and it never worked.

I think the problem lies with this vodafone router, although having said that maybe not as i tried the old one and it doesn't work either.

I've given up hope at this stage i've wasted nearly 4 hours trying to fix something that wasn't broke 3 days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

One other thing to try is the firewall on the router - set it to low or off. This can block xbox live connection.

I will get the settings off my xbox in a few mins and post the up for you. In the mean time you should login to your router and setup the NAT settings on it.

Go to the 192.168.1.1 in internet explorer

Login using :

admin
    VF-IRhg556

Click on Advanced Setup
    -Nat
    Select a Service - xbox
    It will fill out the port details.

You need to give it a server IP address for the xbox
    Give it one that wont be used by other devices on the router eg 192.168.1.6 and save apply

Dont change anything else and logout.
    Make not of the IP you set it to.

I'll post up the settings on xbox in a minute.

Firewall issues seem to only be with the Eircom routers they used to give out.

On your xbox after doing the above with the vodafone router go to your xbox network settings and put in the following:

IP Settings Manual

IP Address: 192.168.1. x (x is the value you gave it above e.g. 6)
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Dns: Auto
    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

You dont set the PPOE because as far as I know Vodafone is PPOA so ignore any of that and leave it empty.

Follow the steps in my 2 posts and you should be sorted.

Cheers Pat, and Axwell.

On the router page there is no advanced setup from what i can see?

There's just service status, applications, router, telephony, wifi, etc...

What make and model of router do you have?

The NAT settings wont stop you connecting to live anyways.

If everything was set to default and you removed all the details in the PPOE section then it should connect anyways.

Setting the IP Address is only part of opening the ports for NAT settings and isnt essential to connecting to live initially.

What make and model of router do you have?

The NAT settings wont stop you connecting to live anyways.

If everything was set to default and you removed all the details in the PPOE section then it should connect anyways.

Setting the IP Address is only part of opening the ports for NAT settings and isnt essential to connecting to live initially.

Thanks i'll go try this now.

I'll post back and let you know how it went.

I have vodafone at home myself but am in work so will have a look later on where exactly the firewall is configured if you're still in trouble. The vodafone router we originally got was the exact same as the eircom router (think motorola were the manufacturer) and the firewall needed to be lowered to allow xbox the connect.

Just followed everything you said there ran the test and it failed again. I really don't know what the problem is?

I have vodafone at home myself but am in work so will have a look later on where exactly the firewall is configured if you're still in trouble. The vodafone router we originally got was the exact same as the eircom router (think motorola were the manufacturer) and the firewall needed to be lowered to allow xbox the connect.

Must be the normal routers that have the same settings so, im on an adsl one myself since they moved over and upgraded the lines. You should be able to find the firewall in the settings and lower it, also check for UpNp and try turning that off if its set to on.

Thanks again Pat. Still no luck at all.

I starting to think i've to change from a WPA protection to a WEP protection as it's less strict and may allow the xbox connect.

• Advertisement

Also you should try get it working using an ethernet connection first and sort the wirless after, from the above post it seems you are trying to setup the wireless at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

Cheers Pat, and Axwell.

On the router page there is no advanced setup from what i can see?

There's just service status, applications, router, telephony, wifi, etc...

You have to log into the router using the admin login details as Axwell said to see the advanced setup option. Which are ;

username: admin
    password: VF-IRhg55

You're probably using vodafone as the username and password.

Theres an update out for the router too which might fix the problem. Worth a go.:) http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/2111-huawei-hg556a-software-update/

Also you should try get it working using an ethernet connection first and sort the wirless after, from the above post it seems you are trying to setup the wireless at the same time.

Tryed ethernet there and no luck yet again. This is really starting to grate on my patience.

DupsTheKid wrote: »
    You have to log into the router using the admin login details as Axwell said to see the advanced setup option. Which are ;

username: admin
    password: VF-IRhg55

You're probably using vodafone as the username and password.

Theres an update out for the router too which might fix the problem. Worth a go.:) http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/2111-huawei-hg556a-software-update/

I've done the login bit just updating it now. Will post back in a minute.

I've done the login bit just updating it now. Will post back in a minute.

right update complete, router rebooted. Time to check..........

Failed again. ARGHHHH!!!

Where do i go to change firewall?

And also should i change my MTU settings to any specific value?

Did you have broadband and a router from eircom before getting vodafone. Can you try swapping out the routers ?

Did you have broadband and a router from eircom before getting vodafone. Can you try swapping out the routers ?

I done that a while ago and there was no joy either.

I'm sure it's a firewall problem as it was the same with eircom until i lowered the firewall.

How do i lower the firewall on this router.

I done that a while ago and there was no joy either.

I'm sure it's a firewall problem as it was the same with eircom until i lowered the firewall.

How do i lower the firewall on this router.

I'm not too sure how to do it off the top of my head for a vodafone router.

But something you said here strikes me ....

When you originally had Eircom you had to lower the firewall to connect.
    You tried switching to the old eircom router after switching to vodafone but could not connect.

Did you remember to enter your vodafone settings onto the eircom router ?

The reason I ask is that if you haven't it tried to connect to vodafone using eircom passwords etc and would have failed. A number of users here reported being able to get the eircom router working with vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

I had the exact same problem when I first got the router. First thing I did was change the security to WPA and had problems with connecting to live and connecting my laptop after that.

So I just reset the router and clicked "restore to factory settings". When that was done I just tried connecting to live with the standard WEP key they give ya that's underneath the box and it worked. Everything was working perfect. Then I changed my security to WPA and everything was still working perfect.

I know of other people with the same router and they connected straight to live without any problems straight from the box while others I know could'nt connect to live wirelessly but could connect through ethernet and after connecting with ethernet they were able to connect wirelessly. Bit strange alright!
    Did you remember to enter your vodafone settings onto the eircom router ?

The reason I ask is that if you haven't it tried to connect to vodafone using eircom passwords etc and would have failed. A number of users here reported being able to get the eircom router working with vodafone.
    The eircom router definetely works I've tried it myself. You just have to enter in the vodafone settings as Pat said on the netopia router settings page. (http://192.168.1.254)

Advertisement