Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Breffni Challenge 2010 - Sat 31st July

• 07-07-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭

http://www.breffnichallenge.com/

Anyone competeing in this run on the August bank holiday weekend.

Cavan->Ballinagh (7k)-Arva (+13K) = 20K

I did it last year and even though its advertised as 20km its actually 22km (when I clocked it with my car and GPS the next day).

Actually there's a road sign 500m from the start of the race thats says "Arva 24Km" but thats a whole other story - Cavan eh? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

*Bump*

Anyone at a loose end this weekend who wants to do a race/run might be interested.

Its actually 22KM in total with plenty of hills in the last 8KM

It free to enter but its for chariteeeee .. st Luke's hospital. If you can't raise a few quid before saturday you could chuck them 20quid at the registration - Thats what a lot of people did last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Yeah looking at driving home Friday evening and doing for this.
    Should be fun but those hills ater Ballinagh, in particular the one at Garrymore after Ballinagh football pitch should be interesting !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

this is on the same day as the Cavan Marathon (32 marathon challenge), i wonder will the races cross each others, as i think they could be using the same route as some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

I did this last year and really enjoyed it. The whole community of South Cavan seem to really get behind it. Looking forward to doing it again this Saturday.

Yeah looking at driving home Friday evening and doing for this.
    Should be fun but those hills ater Ballinagh, in particular the one at Garrymore after Ballinagh football pitch should be interesting !!!!

Tell me about it! most hills are usually followed by a downhill/dip but the ones from ballinagh to Arve just seem to go up and up and up and on forever until the last kilometer.

took me 2hr 20mins last year.

i've more training done for it this year but I did 20K a few weeks ago and did'nt improve on that time much :mad:

• Advertisement

The Hammer wrote: »
    this is on the same day as the Cavan Marathon (32 marathon challenge), i wonder will the races cross each others, as i think they could be using the same route as some point.

Really?

Did'nt know that.

the Brefini challange starts at 2pm and should finish around 6pm for those walking etc.

Well then.

Did anyone else do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

didn't do either, was talking to a fella who was doing the 32 marathon challenge thing alright, and he said he ran by where they were starting the breffni challange race from. but the 32 marathon crowd changed the route so as not to get caught up in the Breffni challenge.

i think you might be hard pressed to get results for the race as it was describes as "not that kinda race"

The Hammer wrote: »
    didn't do either, was talking to a fella who was doing the 32 marathon challenge thing alright, and he said he ran by where they were starting the breffni challange race from. but the 32 marathon crowd changed the route so as not to get caught up in the Breffni challenge.

i think you might be hard pressed to get results for the race as it was describes as "not that kinda race"

Yeah... sure they don't supply timing chips which is a shame as its a well established event (10 years now) and gets a reasonable turnout - 200-300 i think.

I'm sure if they had the timing chips and actually measured the damn course properly it could be more of a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

I did it, really liked it, some challenging hills between Ballinagh and Arva, not really the big ones though. I think the smaller ones were underestimated and wore me out.

The atmosphere and sense of fun among the people and locals was great and tons of food at the end was a welcome sight.

The only negative was the course length, I wasn't even in Arva when my Garmin read 13miles- which i did in 1hr 44mins.

• Advertisement

I did it, really liked it, some challenging hills between Ballinagh and Arva, not really the big ones though. I think the smaller ones were underestimated and wore me out.

The atmosphere and sense of fun among the people and locals was great and tons of food at the end was a welcome sight.

The only negative was the course length, I wasn't even in Arva when my Garmin read 13miles- which i did in 1hr 44mins.

Yeah, I think the final distance is 14.1 miles (according to my mate. I did'nt clock the route personally myself)
    As hit the 13 mile mark around the same time so we must have been pretty close.

Advertisement