Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble connecting laptop to tv

• 07-07-2010 1:25pm

Decided it would be nice to connect my Samsung NC10 to my tv. It hasn't gone so well...

What I've done so far:
    Connected the tv to my laptop via a monitor cable (one of those screw in ones...)
    Flicked onto the correct AV channel.

And nothings happened. I did the same thing with my computer a while back with no complications. Is it something to do with netbooks? Can they not connect or something?

Any helpful suggestions here are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Try resolution on laptop 1024x768,or 720x576,set refresh rate to60mhz.
    You may need to press fn plus f5,6,7,8,f9 etc try a function key with tv,square icon and press fn at the same time.In order to turn on pc vga out.
    SEE tv manual pc input vga,settings ,resolution etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

I know when connecting my media machine to the TV with the standard VGA cable it does not show up on AV, there is a specific Computer option in the TV source options.

Do you have a similar on your TV?

Other problem might be the resolution on the laptop. Can you try reducing the resolution and see if it appears?

I've got picture now on the tv screen, but I have to use a set of computer speakers... What cable do I need to set up the sound directly from the tv??

3.5mm audio male to 2 rca stereo, r/l male 3 euro power city or maplins ,assuming your pc has audio out, 3.5mm socket, eg standard earphone plug size.
    see www.svideo.com pc to tv sound connections .
    assuming your tv has 2 rca in for audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Check the back of your tv, is there a headphone socket (3.5mm) close by where you plugged the VGA cable in? There should be. Just get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and connect it from the TV to where your speakers are plugged into your laptop.

• Advertisement

I found a 3.5mm stereo jack but it was a three-way on the other end (yellow, white, red). Is there anyway of using that?
    I have a surround sound system too, and it would be really awesome if I could hook the laptop up to that.
    For the meantime, it's fine just using the speakers... But where's the fun in that? :)

You use the 2 rca white ,red, for sound in , the yellow is for video ,ignore it.
    so get a 3.5mm male to TWO ,rca male AUDIO CABLE.2euro,shop ,hardware store, tv shop or pc store.
    Has the tv manual got a pc audio in info instructions.i assume you got 3.5mm to pc line out,audio out, try em,2rca in the tv.you may need to go to,tv,audio,settings,turn on pc/external sound,audio,in,=on

I put the red and white wires into the surround sound but it just made buzzing...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Press Windows key and X together, and turn on projector.

EDIT: sorry, a bit late... :pac:

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

[quote=[Deleted User];66798283]Huh?[/QUOTE]

That's what I do to connect my NC10 to the TV or projector, I didn't spot you'd already solved that problem.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

try connecting rca 2 l.r to a stereo , line in, switch on aux , do you get sound output,from pc, play an mp3 or youtube video.

tv may have 3.5mm input at rear for pc sound ,depends on the model tv you use.use pc headphone port,if theres no line out or audio out.

Yeah, it seems the only way I can hook up the sound properly is with a 3.5mm (on both ends), but I don't have one... But it's working fine without it, if only my speakers weren't as crap as they are. ;)

maybe borrow 1 from your stereo surround sound system, 3.5 male to 3.5 male,just to try out on the tv.

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of but it doesn't fit in the laptop...

Advertisement