Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Sc. in Computer Science (Conversion)

Options
  • 07-07-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering, could anybody further elucidate on the M.Sc. in Computer Science (Conversion) at UCD? (i.e. employment prospects, credibility of the course, content, tuition, college environment, etc.)

Thanks in advance!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 omnisynergy

Only thing I know is tuition, according to the ucd website it's about €2,500.
    I've heard it's a good course... I've been accepted anyway so I hope so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭patriks

Hey!

Yeah, I've been offered a place too. :)
    There's not a whole lot of information on the programme's webpage, but some of the advanced modules (Semester 4) look cool. I've tried emailing the department, but--as of yet--I haven't received any response.
    Specifically, I was wondering, assuming students perform well, what level would they attain? 3-year/4-year CS B.Sc. standard? More? Less?
    I'd also like to get some more information on how the course is viewed by prospective employers.
    I know you're more or less in the same boat as me, but, if you receive any more information, could you post it here? If I receive anymore, I'll do likewise.

Cheers!;)

Well I have a friend who did the undergraduate in Computer Science, and he said quite a few of the first three semesters is stuff he did in second year.

The advanced stuff is fourth year material plus masters material it seems.
    He said I should have no problem doing it even though I don't have the undergraduate, and said that much of the material in his course was sort of useless, so I guess they took the "best of" the undergrad and put it into this masters along with some advanced material.

I know a guy who runs an IT company down here that said it was a good course, but that's about all I know. Anyway it seems IT is where all the jobs are, here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

Would you folks mind if I asked what undergraduate courses you're coming from? I'm science myself, but would strongly consider this course for my Masters.

Strangely I come from a Fine Art degree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

i accepted my place on this course to today. really looking forward to starting it. i graduated with a civil law degree last year from galway so this will be totally different for me but im looking forward to the challenge. As far as i am aware some of the modules take place in the institute of public administration. As i am not from dublin i was wondering could anyone give me advice on where to get accomodation. is the institute close to ucd? i am not interested in paying extortionate prices for on-campus accomodation and dont want to be stuck with a bunch of party animal first years! any help with accomodation would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

Have you browsed www.daft.ie at all, Coach? I'm sure you'll find suitable accommodation there.

And Omnisynergy, nice avatar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

coach22 wrote: »
    i accepted my place on this course to today. really looking forward to starting it. i graduated with a civil law degree last year from galway so this will be totally different for me but im looking forward to the challenge. As far as i am aware some of the modules take place in the institute of public administration. As i am not from dublin i was wondering could anyone give me advice on where to get accomodation. is the institute close to ucd? i am not interested in paying extortionate prices for on-campus accomodation and dont want to be stuck with a bunch of party animal first years! any help with accomodation would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

My understanding was the lectures were all in UCD it's just that some of it was affiliated / taught by the IPA??

coach22 wrote: »

Any where on a bus route, Ranelagh, Donnybrook, Dundrum is good for instance. Go for somewhere on the 10/46a bus route if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Hey all,

I know there is no mention of this being delivered on a part time basis but have any of you heard it it is possible to do part time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Hey all,

I know there is no mention of this being delivered on a part time basis but have any of you heard it it is possible to do part time?

Arent most other taught masters 1 year and this is 2 years so i'm presuming its part time??

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Arent most other taught masters 1 year and this is 2 years so i'm presuming its part time??

No afaik this is a full time masters that has 4 semesters (1.5 years) due to the nature of the subject. I'm wondering if it delivered on a part time basis over an extended period of time like 6 semesters over 2 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    No afaik this is a full time masters that has 4 semesters (1.5 years) due to the nature of the subject. I'm wondering if it delivered on a part time basis over an extended period of time like 6 semesters over 2 years...

In nearly all cases afaik, the part-timr option takes twice as long, so if it were available you would be looking at spending three years at it, in which case you may as well do a primary degree imo. Given the nature of it as an intense conversions course type programme I would not think a part-time option might be do-able as there seems to be a lot squeezed into it.

Does anyone have any more info on the IPA-linked parts?? Am I right in presuming they are still held on campus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nialllarkin

RE: Course location and IPA involvement_

On the previous course, the lectures were split. Each of the first 3 semesters have 30 credits worth of tuition. 15 credits worth were given by the IPA (on Landsdowne Rd I think) and the other 15 were given on UCD campus.

It looks like the same set up for the 2010 intake..

Semester 1
    • Programming and Data Structures [UCD]: 10 credits
    • Databases and Information Systems (DBMS) [UCD]: 5 credits
    • Certified Internet Web Professional Course [IPA] 15 credits
    Semester 2
    • Introduction to Computer Systems [IPA]: 15 credits
    • Programming and Data Structures II [UCD]: 5 credits
    • SQL Programming [UCD]: 5 credits
    • Software Project - Part 1 [UCD]: 5 credits
    Semester 3
    • Systems Management and Networking [IPA] : 15 credits
    • Software Project - Part 2 [UCD]: 15 credits
    Semester 4

RE: Part-time version of course

It might be worth looking into doing you MSc entirely via the negotiated learning pathway...they seem to offer a lot of flexiblity by that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Interested if anyone knows any info on the details of the modules contents as some of the titles are vague and just in general any more info people would have.

Cheers.

The IPA certify some of the course so you might like to check out their website here:
    http://www.ipa.ie/training_it
    Not sure if that means we have to spend some of the time learning in their center in Vergemount Hall?
    It might be interesting to check out a couple of books on C++ programming and Java.
    I have a contact in a computer company who is going to get back to me on more specifics of the course based on what it says on the UCD website...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

Hey guys,

I'm starting this course in a few weeks too and also trying to get some info on how to hit the ground running with it. I've found one of our modules on the course search on UCD site.

Search for databases and it's COMP20160 which is a seperate module to the one offered for Undergrad students. Runs over 7 weeks so must be quite condensed.

I've heard there'll be an induction session on Thursday 9th September but that's all I know at the moment.

I'm pretty psyched about starting this course; I'd say it'll be an intense 15 months to really get the most from it.

Sounds pretty interesting, I've worked with mySQL a tiny bit in web design but don't really know much about it... Yet :)
    Really excited too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donmoister

Is this as good as a bachelor in computer science? You can work as a software engineer, upon completion of this course?

Yes, many people in our class have already gotten jobs as software engineers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 donmoister

But would employers hold the Msc is the exact same regard as a Bsc in comp. sci? Would they favour someone with a Bsc over someone with an Msc? Also someone with a Bsc is more likely to have had industry experience...

Members of our class have gotten interviews with Deloitte, Microsoft, Demonware (subsidiary of Activision) of the interviews I know about.
    I think it's depends on your aptitude more than whether you have a Masters or a BSc.
    If you have good grades you'll do well!
    I had industry experience before I started the Masters, as do a few people in the class.

If you are just starting college then I would personally go with the 4 year bsc just purely because you have a lot more time and free summers so you can learn more, get work experience and contribute to open source projects etc.

I'm with Conor on that, if you're a little younger you might be better off going with the BSc. But you need a degree to do the Masters anyway.

Good point, I forgot you needed the degree to do the course. There are a few people doing the negotiated learning masters who did not have a CS degree so depending on your experience I would recommend looking into that too.

If you have the time and money (2500 for this msc vs around a 1000? a year for the bsc along with other costs) look into the bsc, purely for the time to get more out of college experience.

I got the impression the Negotiated Learning was more geared for IT Professionals than those with a degree anyway.

Well there a lots of people in it who are straight out of other courses.
    It is just a more flexible taught masters as far as I know.

Yep I think so - also you have the option to do it part time, as far as I know the Conversion is not offered part time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I got the impression the Negotiated Learning was more geared for IT Professionals than those with a degree anyway.

Negotiated Learning seems to be more geared towards people with the CS/Maths/Physics/Engineering background.

It's a taught masters in CS, the conversion course is to get people from nothing to degree-ish level.

I'm confused as to why the conversion course is a masters and not just a long hdip, but Iunno, the UCD CS department is beyond strange at times.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, although the conversion course is for those who no programming experience, there was a student of the Negotiated Learning who had never done any programming before and was taking that Masters. So if you're looking to do more programming you might be better off with the Conversion.

Advertisement