Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Leisure Centre

• 07-07-2010 1:34pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After a lot of political red tape and running out of money and who knows what else went wrong the place has re-opened and if I am to be honest the people of Shannon should feel short changed.

Most of the downstairs is still the exact same bar a new reception area and a new seated area. While, I did not go up to check out the gym - which has been moved upstairs to the front - walking out of the place I felt that it was just opened again due to public pressure and lots of corners had been cut along the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Was shocked when I took a look in and saw that bar the receptiomn and a few seats about the place, nothing has changed. The pool area, the indoor soccer and various halls are all the same - the same walls, the same carpet in the halls etc. Not even a new lick of paint I reckon. For the length of time it has been shut they still left the old stairs to the gym behind, albeit taped up and asking customers not to pass. It's mental.

When you think of the facelift the knights received in 5-6 months while still remaining open compared to this place, which looks the exact same and lost out on over a year and a half of business, and may not get the customers back who have moved on... It's nuts.

Now I haven't been upstairs to the gym for a look but I can't say it'd alter my opinion of the place still looking like a major disappointment.

All this plus the fact that the place was filthy, needing a proper hoovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

The gym and the equipment is a total fail.There are dumbells with rusted handles,the bikes and cross trainers have been sitting there since the closure.They squeak and grind when in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

So how much were they supposed to have spent on this?
    Sounds terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

1.4 Million. Yeah right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

It's a disgrace . I went over the other night to check out the gym and pool and maybe take out a annual membership. I won't be doing it. Upon walking in my first impression was that the place was dirty . I felt uncomfortable and angry that this is the result of the money spent. The gym looks disorganised and the equipment is far from new imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I cannot believe 1.4million was spent on this place.
    The reception desk and chairs were donated, so they didn't cost a thing.
    The vending machines pay for themselves so although there is a new reception area, everything but the flooring was free.
    The locker stands and seating in the ladies changing rooms are all rusted so they obviously were not paid for.
    The showers are a joke. The halls are still the same. I can't see how they were improved.
    I'd love to know where 1.4million went. Seriously, there should be an inquest.

Advertisement