Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Athlon 64

Options
  • 07-07-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I built my own PC a few years back with a K8n Neo mobo and an Athlon 64 processor. I believe a failing PSU has taken out the mobo, maybe even the processor. This PSU has now been replaced.

So I want to upgrade the mobo/processor. I'm not into gaming, so I'm looking for a budget option. However I will be running Guitarport through it so decent speed and power for audio recording.

What I want is when I upgrade is to find out whether it was the mobo or cpu that fried, so ideally I'd like a new CPU that will be supported by the old mobo.

I'm using an old Nividia FX5200 graphic card, a Soundblaster creative soundcard and the ram I wish to reuse is PC3200 CL2 DDR-Dimm

Hope that's clear and someone can show me the way with a cheapo but effective option.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That mobo is Socket A and is freakin' ancient at this point :o Add the fact that a surging PSU will have to nuke the mobo's VRMs to even get a shot at taking out the CPU as well and I'd think you need a brand new mobo and CPU. And new RAM to go with it, which could be darn expensive :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If your looking to use your pc3200 ram again your best bet would be adverts as no new pc would use ddr, new pc's would use dual and triple channel ddr3. You could get a pc for about 200 that would be 100times better than that if go second hand even a laptop would be. Would you have a price in mind? Most computers you would buy now even second hand would be better than that.
    I'm sure you could get a similar pc for about 50quid minus your ram and soundcard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Aah, I always was very happy with that oul machine.

So then, what do you reckon I should be looking at for a low end build, mobo CPU plus 2-4 gb ram to run guitarport?

What is your new PSU like? Although I doubt anything we can come up with would burden even a nasty cheapo one :p

I'd say a cheap Athlon X3, cheap AM3 785G-based mATX mobo with everything integrated (although you'll probably be adding a soundcard for GuitarPort anyway) and maybe just 2GB DDR3 to keep costs down should be more than enough :)

G7 580W.

/cringes

Where would you advise I buy these upgrades of which you speak?

Thanks for taking the time to answer though. I didn't know i was so far behind in these things.

• Advertisement

Oh God, an X-Power! *also cringes* :eek::(:(

And it depends on what websites you feel comfortable with... Elara, Pixmania, eBuyer, HWVS... should come to €200 for X3-4*5 + AM3 785G mATX + 2GB DDR3-1333

With you being happy with your current pc and that running your music software could always go the cheap and nasty solution:
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/21_CPU/productdetails/10021334/Processor_1_x_AMD_Athlon_II_X2_240__2_8_GHz_/ADX240OCGQBOX/default.aspx
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/15_MOBO/01_AMD/productdetails/20001740/MSI_GF615M_P33_Socket_AM3/GF615M_P33/default.aspx
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/08_MEMINT/productdetails/15340887/Crucial_Memory_2_GB_DIMM_240_pin_DDR3/CT25664BA1067/default.aspx
    With solitaire suggestion would be something like this:
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/15_MOBO/01_AMD/productdetails/15488344/Gigabyte_GA_MA785GMT_UD2H_Motherboard_micro/GA_MA785GMT_UD2H/default.aspx
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/21_CPU/productdetails/20000973/Processor_1_x_AMD_Athlon_II_X3_435__2_9_GHz_/ADX435WFGIBOX/default.aspx
    Also would use the same ram.
    The cheap and nasty solution would give you similar card to what you have and would cost 157.25, the much better option would cost 210.15 and inbuilt graphics would be much better.
    I'm just using the komplett website to show you prices, I wouldnt use them myself to be honest at the moment.

You didn't select any specific mobo in the second build, it just brings up the main AM3 list :o And you wouldn't use that DDR2 in either build as those mobos are all DDR3! :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    You didn't select any specific mobo in the second build, it just brings up the main AM3 list :o And you wouldn't use that DDR2 in either build as those mobos are all DDR3! :o

I am going to make an excuse and blame my sillyness on lack of sleep after tearing a muscle, spraining an ankle and a frackure on my shin causing me to miss too much sleep :P. Was supposed to add ddr3 seems a silly oversight considering the first post i made about ddr3 dual and triple channel, Fixed the post now

Jebus Christo what were you up to?! :eek::o

• Advertisement

Jebus Christo what were you up to?! :eek::o

Hadn't ran in 4 years since left army after got my leg rebuilt (long story :P ), so decide to run again, have a problem of pushing myself too much so twisted ankle and kepted running 11days in a row after that and the stress of the way i altered my run to lessen the impact buggered up the other leg :P
    Got a brace to wear again and going to try run again tonight (with all the above on one leg and my other leg is the rebuilt one so two wonky legs), brother is coming with me though as most likely will end up crawling home :p

Let me get this straight: You were running. For eleven days. On a twisted ankle.

:eek:

Let me get this straight: You were running. For eleven days. On a twisted ankle.

:eek:
    Yea :P, was running 1year in the army on a torn ligament, carrying up too half my bodyweight and having to run on it at times (caused rebuilt leg / not my choice though :P)

Thanks for the help, lads.

Hope your leg gets better.:)

That mobo that was suggested wasn't in stock.

Was going to go with this one as it takes DDR2.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/15_MOBO/01_AMD/productdetails/15490258/ASUS_M4A785D_M_PRO_Socket_AM2%2b_AM3/M4A785D_M_PRO/default.aspx

Whaddaya reckon?

Yea thats a pretty cool board and if you decide to overclock its pretty decent for it too. I was looking for that board in the first place but wasnt on the site when I checked, but I trusted kompletts fixed seach :rolleyes:. I was going to use that board as the basis for a htpc but just kept an old 775 board instead in the end.

Advertisement