Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Contract Problem o2

Options
  • 07-07-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all
    I'd appreciate any advice anyone has on this issue. I am trying to move to 3 and take my o2 number with me(I've had the number for 10 years so don't want to change it), I found out today that I have 12 months of an 18 month contract left with o2, and they will bill me €284 to leave. Now I was actually unaware I was in this contract, appparently when I got an upgrade for a basic Nokia phone in December I tied myself into this contract because I didn't respond, within 7 days, to an e-mail they sent me at the time. I'm not sure if I even opened the mail, and was unaware thet the upgrade tied me to o2 for this length of time. Does 18 months sound excessive for a phone that is on sale for €39, and is there any way I can get out of this contract asap, my mobile bills with 02 are killing me, and the offer 3 have at the moment will suit me much better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

All mobile upgrades result in a new contract, of varying length. O2 have been using 18 month contracts for everything for a couple of years now. You agreed to it, so there's nothing you can do, regardless of whether you read it or not.

If you are effected by the recent price changes, then read this thread. The change in prices have effectively cancelled all of O2's effected contracts, so you can get out immediately without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

At the moment because O2 are after changing their price plans you are eligible to get out of contract if you do so before the 12th of July

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055941844. Even if you are not on one of the affected price plans they have changed the prices of 11811 calls so they have to let you out of contract without penalties.

Although in fairness to O2 as soon as you upgraded you were tied into a minimum of at least 12 month contract. The length of the contract does not depend on how much you paid for the phone but how much O2 paid for the phone.
    At least though now you have a way out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

lolls wrote: »
    Hi all
    I'd appreciate any advice anyone has on this issue. I am trying to move to 3 and take my o2 number with me(I've had the number for 10 years so don't want to change it), I found out today that I have 12 months of an 18 month contract left with o2, and they will bill me €284 to leave. Now I was actually unaware I was in this contract, appparently when I got an upgrade for a basic Nokia phone in December I tied myself into this contract because I didn't respond, within 7 days, to an e-mail they sent me at the time. I'm not sure if I even opened the mail, and was unaware thet the upgrade tied me to o2 for this length of time. Does 18 months sound excessive for a phone that is on sale for €39, and is there any way I can get out of this contract asap, my mobile bills with 02 are killing me, and the offer 3 have at the moment will suit me much better.

Read my signiture and act fast.

02 changed the goalposts of your original contract by applying substantial price increases of up to 80% to rates outside your bundle of minutes so you have now the legal right to walk away from 02.and keep your mobile phone without penalty.

You have until Friday to act on it as more than likely they will try to fob you off over the weekend.with offices closed etc

Monday 12 July is the deadline.

Heaps on it in this thread, applies to all 02 contracts pre June 2010.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055941844

Advertisement