Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coopers Ginger Beer - The Tasting

• 07-07-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

As some of you know i did my first brew about a month ago! I bottled it 13 days ago and decided to taste it today!

A previous thread on my brew can be found here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055932273

I'm a tab bit disappointed! Apon opening the bottle there was no fizz, very disappointing! It smelt good, nice smell of ginger, spicy! So disappointed with the lack of fizz i poured it over a glass of ice and a slice of lemon. Time to taste it. At first i wasn't impressed. But due to working hard all morning i began to knock it back due to my thirst! It tasted alright in the end. Definately did a good job or drenching my thirst. But i am left with two aftertastes! One is in the back of my throat and it's a lovely gingery/spicy taste, all for that! The second aftertaste is in the roof of my mouth in which i'm not a fan of that. It reminds me of the aftertaste from taking a Aspirin.

So it's been a mixed experiance, i am a bit disappointed. I do understand that the taste can still change over time so i guess i shall leave it for a while longer. But i do reckon that leaving it longer will do nothing about the fizz. But maybe thats just one bottle, doubt it though.

Some feedback and advice would be nice guys. Where did i go wrong regarding the lack of fizz? Thanx!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

13 days after the fermentation stopped means the sugars that would have been used to carbonate it would be completely gone. You'd need to bottle a bit earlier to get carbonated or you can prime it by putting a small amount of sugar in each bottle or if you can add it to the whole batch so it's all evenly disturbed. You don't need too much and there should be plenty of priming calculators online to find out how much to use so they don't become over pressured.

One other option, a long shot tbh, is to move the bottles to somewhere a little warmer for a few days and see if the extra heat restarts the yeast. The hotpress would be too hot although if you have a bottle to sacrifice/experiment with it might do the trick without putting the rest at risk.

Not sure about the taste, time will tell if it will mellow out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

In hindsight i should have bottled earlier! But the advice i got here was to leave it. I guess not everyone on here is an expert. And of course i used priming sugar, used carbonated drops! It was my first brew and i used it as a learning curve! At the end of the day it resulted in me having a refreshing drink. I've just moved a box up into the loft weres it's warmer then where i had been storing it. So maybe this will improve things!

Advertisement