Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large PLastic Ball

Options
  • 07-07-2010 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I am looking for a large clear plastic ball (around 16" to 18") to use in the making of a costume head for a fancy dress. I need to be able to cut a mouth and hole for my head out of this plastic ball. I have thought about using a guinea pig exercise ball but these are too small for what i need (13" typically.

If anyone has any ideas on what i can use for this or where I can get a large clear plastic sphere that would be great.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could make a papier mache shape over a large balloon.

Tear some newspaper into short strips about 4 inches by 2 inches, you will need some wallpaper paste or pva glue. Use a largish brush (1.5 inch paintbrush) paste onto the balloon and lay a layer of newspaper pieces all over the balloon. Paste - paper - paste until you have covered the balloon, then repeat two or three times more. Leave it to dry completely, then snip a tiny hole in the balloon neck and let the air out slowly - if you burst the balloon the paper mache will probably collapse. If it seems fragile, put on a couple more layers of paper and glue. You can also crumple paper into balls or rolls and cover with paper strips to get features. When it is completely dry paint it with acrylic or poster paints (the cheap bottles of childrens' paint).

Some balloons release better if you coat them with a very thin smear of vaseline or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have just registered the word 'clear', sorry, my directions were totally irrelevant for what you want :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

does it have to be a ''ball'' shape? otherwise you could use one of those massive water bottles for water dispensers. but that's more cylindrical than spherical... :o

mechcit wrote: »
    costume head for a fancy dress

Deadmau5?

deadmau5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

Came across this thread searching on google.

I'm looking for the same thing (making a deadmau5 head).

You can get an acrylic lighting globe like the ones on the top of some street lamps, but I have yet to find one easily available and cheap enough.

If you find anything then could you post it here, cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mechcit

Cheers for that. It actually doesn't need to be clear would just be handy. I actually used the idea you said except that I added duct tape around the outside to give it more strength.

Advertisement