Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Can I chase Eircom for Broadband

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Powerline adaptors use the same band as DSL and radiate interference up to 100m from house.

BT vision is installing them against the recomendation of BT engineering!
    See http://www.techtir.ie/node/1001843
    some of the newer ones now interfere with Mobile Radio, FM Radio and Airtraffic control, not just DSL, MW, SW and Amateur Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

watty wrote: »
    OK, 3Mbps didn't make any sense without a repeater.

1.5Mbps is actually not bad for 9.6km and > 64dB attenuation!

At that distance and speed on ADSL it's probably closer to 70dB attenuation. Which won't really be much faster at ADSL2+

1000054_dslreach.jpg

ADSL2+ lets you get about 10db further out, about 88dB or so for 1Mbps. ADSL dies at about 76db to 78dB.

http://www.techtir.ie/comms/dsl-limits

Don't install comtrend or homeplug powerline networking!

hi watty just looking at the graph, and it seems that ADSL2+ would give me about 7mb? even the blue line shows that i should get about 6mb on standard DSL?

Why?

What is your attenuation? Bear in mind that if the modem says more than 62dB, then you don't know the attenuation.

Those speeds are for perfect lines, no crosstalk. Note it's just attenuation quoted. No SNR etc.

1000056_ADSL_Line_Rate_Reach.jpg
    Typical km (sorry about quality)

You can see that at 2.5km they all start to get closer together (VDSL, ADSL2+, ADSL) and at 5.5km there is very little difference. Again that graph is "ideal" conditions vs distance. Another graph shows variation due to quality and cross talk. You can probably take 25% off the speed on both those graphs in the real world. They are produced by people selling DSL exchange equipment so they show the upper theoretical limit, not real world speeds, but they do show the relative speeds of DSL and DSL2+ and VDSL and how beyond a critical point the speed drops very fast indeed.

At least you are not in Milton Keynes. At that time someone thought aluminium phone wire was a good cost saving idea. It's rubbish for DSL.

Re-read my article

Why?

What is your attenuation? Bear in mind that if the modem says more than 62dB, then you don't know the attenuation.

Those speeds are for perfect lines, no crosstalk. Note it's just attenuation quoted. No SNR etc.

You can see that at 2.5km they all start to get closer together (VDSL, ADSL2+, ADSL) and at 5.5km there is very little difference. Again that graph is "ideal" conditions vs distance. Another graph shows variation due to quality and cross talk. You can probably take 25% off the speed on both those graphs in the real world. They are produced by people selling DSL exchange equipment so they show the upper theoretical limit, not real world speeds, but they do show the relative speeds of DSL and DSL2+ and VDSL and how beyond a critical point the speed drops very fast indeed.

At least you are not in Milton Keynes. At that time someone thought aluminium phone wire was a good cost saving idea. It's rubbish for DSL.

Re-read my article

attenuation 51db

Why?

Re-read my article

eircom broadband support told me to call 1901 to ask to have line upgraded.. and then i will get 8mb :confused:
    is this possible?

• Advertisement

Try and see! :)

Try and see! :)

i did and they tell me that the exchange DBC12 is not ADSL2+ enabled??
    also they said they dont do line upgrades...

im nearly certain that DBC12 exchange has been upgraded to ADSL2+...

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Condi wrote: »

pretty much they said that my exchange DBC12 is not ADSL2/2+ enabled.

i thought it was ADSL2 upgraded ages ago

Condi wrote: »

They probably mean ADSL2+, which does do up to 24Mbps, on the pavement beside the exchange and 7Mbps to 10Mbps for average line of 3km.

Plain ADSL does up to about 8Mbps, on the pavement beside the exchange and about 3Mbps for average line of 3km.

AFAIK, the in-between standard of ADSL2, isn't installed anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ingen wrote: »
    pretty much they said that my exchange DBC12

That should be the main Drogheda exchange which has ADSL2+ but I don't know what the 12 at the end stands for, a cabinet number maybe or a rack number of old ADSL1 gear perhaps ???

This gets back to the recent suggestion that ADSL2+ enabled exchanges may actually have one or more shelves of basic ADSL DSLAM also. Sneaky. Thus the "ADSL2+" enabled exchanges/coverage may be "misleading".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Could also be backhaul and could be NGB related flummery seeing as the eircom marketing fuks believe that 8mbits ADSL, a standard from 2001 , is 'next generation' .

I requested an up to date eircom wholesale list of exchanges...by PM would be just dandy :)

This gets back to the recent suggestion that ADSL2+ enabled exchanges may actually have one or more shelves of basic ADSL DSLAM also. Sneaky. Thus the "ADSL2+" enabled exchanges/coverage may be "misleading".

i think that they may be keeping the adsl2+ ports for users who order high end dsl packages close to the exchange..

and the standard joesoap who gets NGB is in standard adsl port... thats my thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

what is probably happening is everyone was on adsl previously and they installed a few adsl2+ equipment but only move people on to it was the packages are ordered. saves them replaceing all their equipment when most people are on < 8mb packages and/or too far away to have any benifit of been moved to the adsl2+ equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is there a list of the exchanges getting upgraded or have been,

Attenuation (dB) : Downstream 19.0 Upstream 10.0

Advertisement