Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like i'm drowning please help

Options
  • 07-07-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hope someone can help me out on here

i moved jobs in jan to a new position within the same company. when i agreed to take the job i was promised a months training which i never got, hence why now 6 months down the line i feel like i'm drowning here.

every day i hope it'll get easier but honestly i haven't a clue what i'm doing, feel like i'm barely getting by and am constantly asking questions as to how to do my own job. i'm really starting to hate the job and feel like i've no other choice but to leave but seeing as the country is the way it is and seeing as i've a mortgage to pay i feel like i'm stuck.

please if anyone help me out as to what i could do as i'm close to tears here, am so frustrated with it all :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Is there any way you could discuss this with your manager at all? It is a reasonable expectation that there is some level of training provided for a new employee. Is this training agreement down in writing? Indeed, is there anyone there to actually train you up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

wing it. fob off as much responsibility as possible. Take on as much as you are able to and when you are shown something once keep good notes so you will know for the next time. Don't be afraid to keep asking questions. If procedure notes are available take them home and study them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hip_priest

Is there contention between union and management there? There may be without you being informed and one or both sides might be using you as a pawn in some ****ty power struggle. It happened to me in my last job. I was getting instructions known to as illegal by one side or the other, which an issue was made of when not done. When I said it was ollegal to carry out said in structions, others stupid mistakes were blamed on me etc. I'm left unemployed last 18 months because of them.

If you start getting complaints soon, you may be in the process of being let go before you are 12 months in the job, and they might dismiss you before your rights for that position become alot stronger. I took my employers, a dublin based university to the labour relations commissioner for an alarmingly simular sounding situation, and the union "won" €2000 from them, for destroying my career for unfair dismissal, without any mention of the extreme bullying I suffered for almost a year by these nasty elements.

Ireland is designed to benifit corruption and there is no doubt about it when universities are acting as immorrally as I have seen one highly prominent one acting. I'm still fighting the crooks there, and will until they repair the damage they did, which is very substantial. It sounds to me like they want you to leave, or something else perhaps. Skullduggery is afoot I don't doubt.

Try and talk to someone who seems decent and reasonable. 1000 people worked with me, and I wouldn't like to guess how many were aware of all the bull **** the university were giving me. "Lick flexibillity" is what economists call these recessionary times. Where they weed out discenting voices for lay off / dismissal etc, reduce benifits and conditions etc. Good luck with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

hip_priest, sounds like you have it in for this dublin-based university.
    If you take the op's post at face value it doesn't sound like a conspiracy.

Some jobs just don't provide good training. I know a chap who took a consulting role in an Irish bank. He was told he would get 6 weeks training. He got about 1 week. He just had to wing it.. make the odd mistake until he knew the job a bit better. He's flying at it now.

Of course, moving people around jobs is a way companies have of getting rid of people. There's very little you can do about this - especially in this climate, companies can argue they were restructuring or the old role became redundant. I'm sure the op would know if this applies to their situation.

Firstly, this middle management in this university destroyed my career, simply because it was condusive to their needs. Does seeking redress or any kind of justice mean I have it in for them? I wouldn't think so. Why would you think that? They are a protected species in Ireland, which in turn lets them know the can act so inappropreately in abusing their staff with impunity.

In addition to this, I didn't suggest there was a conspiracy, I suggested both sides of any dispute, possibly between management and the union, one side may be making the OP's position difficult in order to frustrate to opposing faction.

It's a possibility in my experience, and I only offered the benefit of my experience so the OP can compare situations and see if any light may be shed on an unexplained illogical situation, such as the one I witnessed. Why is the OP left in a position where the job cannot be done correctly, while management do nothing, apart from letting the complaints build up, and look bad of course? Perhaps the don't mind, because they are sound, no? Sounds like the rope is piling up nicely to me.

I know how difficult it is to deal with this. Cluster F*ck is what I lived through, and the legal profession hides them from explaining their actions too in my case, so far at least.

I was thinking the same think OP is saying at the same stage in my job, and really wished someone told me what I said here. Really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mary21

go to your doctor you should not feel like that

Did that work for you Mary? You sound somewhat, tranquill...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it possible that the training was just overlooked? First thing should be to ask if it is still possible to get the training you were promised, as there are aspects of the job that you are not clear about.

On the other hand maybe it is the kind of job that the worker can make their own - there is no absolutely right or wrong way of doing it. In that case you have to try and look at the broad picture. What, overall, are you supposed to be achieving, and how can you organise yourself to do that. Just because the previous person always put this bit of paper here, or filed by project rather than alphabetically, doesn't mean you have to do the same thing.

I fully understand your sense of drowning, but you have to take control of the situation. Decide which action you are going to take then push down your doubts and go for it. You must be doing something right as someone would have been on to you after 6months if you were getting it all wrong :)

Advertisement