Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heart rate monitor advice

• 07-07-2010 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I'm looking to buy a heart rate monitor, primarily for cycling but I'd also like to use it when running.

I've zero interest in calories, more want to use it as part of a training plan to train as specific effort. I have a computer on my bike that's fairly basis - distance and time - so looking to work the two together ie HR at x over 100k. Is there anything on the market that could do it all (please see budget note :rolleyes: )

Budget is E100 - really don't want to spend more than that and would like it to hook up to a mac to record details etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yes they work fine not particularly complicated but they do work
    i used it for turbo training (it was from about 4 years ago so not the model there)
    but for the price you cant go wrong

i'm guessing you dont want to spend 200 quid on a garmin ?

they dont seem to be ant+ so the strap wont connect to a garmin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd consider something like a Garmin Forerunner which works with bike and running. It is very handy to have everything together for logging. You might get one secondhand on eBay around your budget. Note the 50 doesn't have GPS and needs a foot pod for distance when running; not sure how it does the bike, it may need the cadence/rear wheel sensor which is pricey. So a 205 or 305 secondhand may be a good option (doesn't need anything else for speed/distance either on the bike or running, does it all off the GPS.)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭_MadRa_

You can get a Heart Rate wrist watch on ebay for E5..Computer for E10
    Is it worth 200Euro to have them all in one?
    The few i was looking at were Big money...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've seen the Garmin Forerunner 50 with a foot pod included for £50 new on eBay. You would have to add the HR strap- and I don't know how it might do speed/distance on the bike, I think you would need the speed/cadence sensor which is getting pricey.

The Forerunner 305 with HR strap is £109 for a refurb or £128 new from Handtec (same warranty) and probably a better bet. This will do speed/distance/altitude and plot where you went and what your HR was at each point with no foot pod or bike attachment, it is entirely self contained and does it all from the GPS.

Halfway reliable HR monitors probably start around the €30 mark to just show your heart rate with no recording functions.

Whether it is worth it is up to you but I never looked back from my first Edge 305; currently on a 705 and wouldn't be without it. I ran for a bit a few years ago and if I did this seriously I would certainly get a Forerunner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 la calera

blorg wrote: »
    I've seen the Garmin Forerunner 50 with a foot pod included for £50 new on eBay. You would have to add the HR strap- and I don't know how it might do speed/distance on the bike, I think you would need the speed/cadence sensor which is getting pricey.

The Forerunner 305 with HR strap is £109 for a refurb or £128 new from Handtec (same warranty) and probably a better bet. This will do speed/distance/altitude and plot where you went and what your HR was at each point with no foot pod or bike attachment, it is entirely self contained and does it all from the GPS.

Halfway reliable HR monitors probably start around the €30 mark to just show your heart rate with no recording functions.

Whether it is worth it is up to you but I never looked back from my first Edge 305; currently on a 705 and wouldn't be without it. I ran for a bit a few years ago and if I did this seriously I would certainly get a Forerunner.

The Forerunner 305 seems to be exactly what I'm looking for - had been looking at a couple of HR monitors (polar etc) but nothing really fitted the bill with gps whereas this does. Thanks!

Advertisement