Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIM Msc Climate Change

• 07-07-2010 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Has anybody studied Climate Change in Maynooth or completed the masters. If so how did you find it and are there many employment opportunities afterwards?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doodlejules

Hi Avey,

I have completed the Masters in 2010 and have to say even though it was really interesting there aren't many job opportunities in Ireland. If you want to work in this area you would seriously have to consider emigrating if you are looking for a subject related job. Apart from a few of us that went on to do a PHd, I don't think anyone genuinely applying for jobs in the public, environmental, reinsurance or GIS sector was successful finding work there. Now, once the recession is over that might change too however you are wasting 3-5 years working in an area that doesn't necessarily has anything to do with Climate change or Geography in general. Also I would have expected to get more help from lecturers or the college on career opportunities as a lot of public sector jobs do require good connections. Once we were finished the exams, that was it no more help. Might be good to introduce 3 months work experience as part of the Masters.
    As for me I have found work no problem after however nothing that is relevant to the subjects that I have studied.
    Hope that helps in deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I'm starting this course in September and have heard fairly positive reviews about it. I can't wait to start it, I'm very interested in the area and am planning on really getting involved in the whole area.
    Is there anyone else due to begin this course in September?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

They do a masters in Climate Change. That's pointless seeing as it's a myth.

*opens can of worms*

But yes, this is a joke

My Great-Uncle gave me a big lecture about how I'm wasting my time on such a myth, that's a government conspiracy to make us spend more money making our homes more environmentally friendly. I'm afraid of his reaction when he finds out I'm definitely doing it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

Hi I to am interested in this course. Has anyone here had any luck since finishing with work?

Is there much of a practical element to te course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

kellief wrote: »
    My Great-Uncle gave me a big lecture about how I'm wasting my time on such a myth, that's a government conspiracy to make us spend more money making our homes more environmentally friendly. I'm afraid of his reaction when he finds out I'm definitely doing it!!
    Tell him he should have taken better care of the place when he was your age, and its his fault you now have to go and study to learn how to fix it.

;)

01mirelly wrote: »
    Hi I to am interested in this course. Has anyone here had any luck since finishing with work?

Is there much of a practical element to te course?

According to the coordinator almost all of the class last year are in employment.
    It depends on what you mean by practical? There is an awful lot more work than is made out, you need serious discipline and focus.
    There is a lot of computer based work, using multiple new software programmes, so there is a lot of projects etc based around them.

endacl wrote: »
    Tell him he should have taken better care of the place when he was your age, and its his fault you now have to go and study to learn how to fix it.

;)
    Managed to get through without telling him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 moyamay

As far as I know graduates of the course have gone on to work in the US Geological Survey, Met Eireann, EPA, PhD and academia, others into business and others into areas unrelated directly. Like all things jobs are tight at the moment but the course gives you training in tools and software used in the field that you can take anywhere and skills that are transferable to other areas - GIS, environmental modelling, data analysis and project work/research. It is a step up from undergraduate but that is how it should be - no point doing an easy course that leaves you with little at the end of it. You get hands on skills, will be challenged but will enjoy it. It ranges from policy, human dimension to science so it is broad ranging too. I think the closing date for application is around now but email Conor to find out.

The course is great, very diverse which is really what I enjoyed.
    I think one thing to remember is that it is a master of science, so the standard is a bigger jump from undergrad than an ma. It's very challenging but moyamy is right, no point in doing an easy course.

There are some jobs going in environmental sectors, look up green jobs Ireland, they are a brilliant site dedicated to environmental science employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Don't think it's fair to qualify an MSc as more difficult than any other masters course. If it was, it would be a higher level qualification, but all masters courses are level nine.
    The skills you need may well be different, but different doesn't mean harder. Just different.

How so Joe wrote: »
    Don't think it's fair to qualify an MSc as more difficult than any other masters course. If it was, it would be a higher level qualification, but all masters courses are level nine.
    The skills you need may well be different, but different doesn't mean harder. Just different.

I mean regarding the work. But I see your point. It's a massive jump from arts as they expect you already know Joe to write for science, which for most l in my course did not know how etc. it's a steep learning curve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

Thanks for yours replies. I am in a situation where I dnt want another year of unemployment go to waste and thinking doing another course would be best route. I already have a masters in geography but very broad ranging. Am looking into Environmental Science in Trinity also but unsure which would be more beneficial in long run?

I have no idea about the other course. This one is a good course, wide range of skills learnt but you need to be prepared for the amount of work required.

Advertisement